Daydream Anonymous review by InMe

• Released: Sep 24, 2007
InMe: Daydream Anonymous

When comparing the sound of this album to Overgrown Eden, there are definite signs that this band has matured and developed technically. There is less of the anger-filled screams which are replaced by Dave's technical skills of the guitar, transforming the sound of the new album from grunge into the dynamic soundscapes of prog-rock. Despite the change in sound, they still produced catchy songs such as 'Far Reaching', 'In Loving Memory', 'Soldier' and the first single 'I Won't Let Go'. A great point about this album is that it near seems to lose it's momentum at anypoint when changing from the more rocking songs to the softer sounds of 'Daydream Anonymous', 'Turbulence' and 'Thanks For Leaving Me'. Another point to be made abouth the sound of the whole album is the appointment of Dave's brother, Greg, on bass. Possibly because of their brotherly conection, the band sounds much more tight, with one example of this being 'In Loving Memory'. Overall the sound of the band is fanastic. Although in my opinion the bass could have been more fuller during recording, changing it's sound might not have created this clear-cut, sharp sound.

I'm no expert on lyrics and vocals, but playing with the skill of Dave whilst singing must be an extraordinary sight. The vocals float above the instruments and knit together all the complex riff work in the songs. A sign that Dave's voice has developed is during the chorus of 'Myths and Photographs', where is voice seeminglessly glides above the full-bodied guitar. Another note is that Dave uses his clear voice much more which fits with the clarity of the songs. In songs like 'Daydream Anonymous', his singing seems effortlessly breathed out. This again shows the development of the band, displaying that there is more ways than one to show emotion in rock.

I'm very impressed with the whole album, rising above both 'Overgrown Eden' and 'White Butterfly' in terms of the skills displayed by all the bandmembers and the maturity of the songs. Although it seems a natural development for young bands to go from screaming their heads off to harmonising voices, this band does it in such a way that each album sounds better and better. My favourite tracks of the album are 'Far Reaching' and 'Soldier' for the amount of energy it gives off, 'Daydream Anonymous' for it's soft, gentle guitar work and 'In Loving Memory' for the tight technical work. The one thing that I miss from the previous albums is the raw emotion of screams and although there are a few, they aint as many as I expected from InMe. But that may purely be down to the maturing sound of the band, plus other bands like Enter Shikari now fill my need for moshing. If I lost this album, I would firstly cry, then run into town and buy it again because it is that good an album.