Overgrown Eden review by InMe

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
InMe: Overgrown Eden

There is a general theme throughout this album of distorted chorus and bass verse which works extremely well. The talent of bassist Joe Morgan is quite brilliant. The opening riff for "Underdose" is the first thing you here on this album, and its unbelievable, matched only by the ten second raw scream on "Mosaic" from Dave to bring the album to a close. I think the band were heavily influenced by Nirvana, no doubt about that, but take it that one step further. I love the mix of deep grungy sounds and melodic riffs layered over the top. The album reaches its musical genius in track 11 "Neptune"'s interlude. It raises hairs on the back of youre neck.

The teenage angst lyrics work with the music in a way I have never seen before. Dave's vocal range is astonoshing, changing between pure grunge, heavy metal and the occasional screech only dogs can here! Aparantly Dave wrote all the songs on the album over a period of 8 years, and the lyrics show this. Track 6 "Her Mask" is one of my personnal favourites for lyrics. Here are some other lyrics: - "The rust in my eyes from my corroded halo" "I wish that I could trade these eyes, 'cos now I only dispise my own lies."

Sad as it is, I have played this cd at least six times a week for 2 years. The melodic vocals, heavy guitars and some of the best drumming I've ever heard make this debut album an absolute classic, I just hope they dont run out of material for further albums. True british talent. Oh and there live performance was unbelievable.