Won't Let Go review by InMe

• Released: Aug 20, 2007
InMe: Won't Let Go

With most three piece bands, you'd think that the bass would play a big part in the sound, and this has always been true with InMe. Although with this song, new bassist Greg McPherson makes less of an impact than I expected. The sound has suffered from the loss of Joe Morgan, and while the bass parts remain technically very good, they don't seem to have the same passion as in earlier songs. On the plus side, Simon Taylor on drums is on form as usual, using his speed to keep the song going, and slowing it down towards the end, ading more power to the final chorus. Also, the dual guitar used in recording really beefs up the sound. You can Dave has improved greatly in the way he uses his guitar and voice, possibly as a result from his side projects where he experiments in other styles of music.

InMe are fairly well known for having lyrics that can be given really any meaning, and this detatchment is a good trademark of their sound. However with this new song, the lyrics could get repetitive for some. The best thing about them is the anthem-like feel of the chorus "Won't let go, never gonna let go, pity you should say cause it never really means a thing." This really fits with the driving force behind the song, making it a simple, yet very effective chorus. And as I've said before, you can hear the improvement in Dave's voice; he's using the full range of his voice more confidently, but keeping the old growling style of previous albums.

My first impression of this song was that it simply didn't measure up to the singles from White Butterfly, but after listening to it more to write this review, you can see definite comparisons to songs like Faster the Chase. At points I also heard some similarities to Fall Out Boy, which was somewhat of a turn off for me. I think this is mostly down to a cleaner, less grungey sound than in old songs. The single was enough to make me pre-order the album, so I am expecting good things from them. But overall, it's a good, forceful song that most fans would enjoy. It has a cleaner sound than older albums, but you can still see their old roots and influences in the music.

Trent_Leone
    It ain't the best of InMe's new stuff (the demo of solider is my favourite so far) but its still a good song. The acoustic version that is available from recordstore.co.uk/inme is amazing and just as good as teh original.
    GiantRaven
    I think the single itself is absolutely brilliant, thought the B-sides were a bit lacking though I thought the bass was good but they turned it down a little too much, would have been better with a bit more presence Can't wait for the album though, all the samples i've heard have been ace! =D
    Vertigo-fly
    Yeah, I think the bass could have been turned up alittle more. The album (Daydrean Anonymous) is immense too, they have progressed so much since their last. Just the way the songs have been written, you can tell that they have spent a great deal of time and effort into each song. Each one is perfect and the guitar I must say, is perfect. "In Loving Memory" and "I Won't Let Go" being my favourites so far. "Cracking The Whip" is a really good song also, just because of the awesome guitar part throughout.