One For Sorrow review by Insomnium

• Released: Oct 17, 2011
Insomnium: One For Sorrow

Every year, as autumn approaches, the sun sets sooner and the days grow colder. Plants wither and die, the wind shifts, and summer's beauty fades into the bleakness that is the year's end. And occasionally, once every few fall seasons, Insomnium release a collection of songs that becomes the soundtrack to the season for the lives of listeners world over. It's been two years since a new Insomnium album carried me into spring, but it was a two years that was worth the wait.

Ever since their formation in 1997, Insomnium have been shaping out their own signature style of downhearted melodic death metal. Unfortunately, melodeath as a genre is seen as somewhat inconsistent within the metal world. In Sweden, melodeath can often mean At the Gates ripoff. In Finland, sadly, it can sometimes mean Children of Bodom clone. Fortunately, Insomnium have never in any point in their career fallen into either of these categories. Beneath the death growls, aggressive riffing, and pounding drums, there is a melancholic quality to Insomnium's music that in my opinion have always set them apart from their peers in the melodic death metal world. While they do follow some of the same patterns as most melodeath bands these days (certain riffing styles, alternating clean/heavy passages), they've been doing so in a manner that promotes their own evolution rather than letting them become stagnant.

Following this trend, One for Sorrow is undoubtedly contains all of Insomnium's signature elements, and while the music does sound familiar, the guys have definitely pulled a few new tricks out from their sleeves. The sound overall could be compared to their previous album Across the Dark, but to leave it at that wouldn't do the album justice. The album opens up with Inertia, a track that sounds almost like a post-rock track. For a second, it sounds more like Russian Circles than Insomnium. But the atmosphere is so fitting for the album. There are ambient bits throughout the album like this that weave their way in between the tremolo picked riffs and the double bass, and it really is a nice change of pace from having every clean break be an acoustic passage. There are only so many chords you can use when you're sticking to many of the same progressions. From a production standpoint, One for Sorrow falls somewhere in between Across the Dark and Above the Weeping World. It is much more raw than AtD (which sounded too pristine and polished in nature), but it isn't as powerful as AtWW's sound.

Much of this album is your standard Insomnium fare. Heavy sections, soft sections, and a generally melancholic (yet aggressive) sound. However, there are a few standout points which really deserve mention. There is, of course, the intro track. Then there's the fourth track, Only One Who Waits. This song came as a surprise to me. Insomnium tracks usually start out in one of three ways. They either begin with a soft acoustic section, some sort of pedal riffing pattern, or with a lead line played over some power chords. Only One Who Waits skips all that and goes straight into overdrive, with all instruments hammering away at top speeds. Double bass drum beats and tremolo picked riffs is an odd way to start an Insomnium track, so it was definitely a moment worthy of a double take. It just sounded incredibly similar to the beginning of Killswitch Engage's This is Absolution. Alone, that fact is negligible, but there was that track on their last album that I had mistaken for a Darkest Hour song

Okay, so even I as a long time Insomnium fan have to admit that sometimes, it's easy to predict where their music is going to go. Some of the melodies and the riffs sound vaguely similar to things that I've heard before in other Insomnium songs. Unsung has a lead line in the end that sounds very close to the lead in the end of Drawn to Black, off of 2006's Above the Weeping World. The rest of that song is great, but that lead was so close to being identical that it stuck out like a sore thumb the first time I heard it. I can't really fault them for this, though, because when you've been a band for 14 years, there's bound to be some similarities in what you write. And even when listening to this album for the first time through, I felt like I sometimes knew what notes were coming next, where the buildups and breaks would be, etc, but that didn't mean that I couldn't enjoy it. Quite the contrary. While some melodeath bands can be a little predictable, Insomnium's execution of the genre is what makes them stand out so much.

Another thing I love about this album is that it's the first album since their second album, Since the Day it All Came Down, to include an instrumental song. Decoherence is the most relaxing instrumental they've done, and to be honest, I would love to hear more material like this from them. I wouldn't mind an entire instrumental album from Insomnium if it sounded like this. It's very ambient and dreamlike in nature. The keys, once again provided by Aleksi Munter (Swallow the Sun) really add atmosphere not only to this track, but to the entire album. The keys on this album may even be better than the last. There's also the track Every Hour Wounds, which sounds like it could have been on Since the Day it All Came Down. Classic Insomnium riffing in that song, you'll really have to hear it for yourself in order to compare. The album closes with the title track, One for Sorrow, which, while maybe not as powerful as the closers on their last two albums, still does a pretty good job of wrapping up the album.

The vocals and lyrics in Insomnium have always been a major selling point for this band in my opinion. Niilo's growls have always been powerful, yet coherent and easily decipherable. You'll have relatively little trouble understanding what he's saying in the songs, which is great because Insomnium's lyrics are not the kind to miss. Sorrow is an emotion that everyone can relate to, whether they want to admit it or not, and Insomnium's lyrics can really hit home with some people.

Vocally, this album is an improvement over the last. Of course, Niilo's growls have been improving as always, but One for Sorrow brings back the whispered/spoken word passages that were so blatantly absent on Across the Dark. Instead, they tried to fill the void left behind with clean singing. They had recruited Jules Naveri of Profane Omen to handle singing duties, and while he is a very good singer, he wasn't the best fit for Insomnium's sound. In many places throught AtD, the clean singing felt out of place or forced. It was their first time experimenting with them, so it is understandable that that was the case.

At the time, I had hoped that Across the Dark would be the only Insomnium album to feature clean singing. But when Ville Friman, one of the guitarists, started doing the singing during live shows, I knew that this would not be the case. But listening to him sing on this record, I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. In fact, I really enjoy the way his voice sounds. It suits the music more than Naveri's voice, and for the most part, the melodies flow naturally with the music. Tracks like Regain the Fire and Through the Shadows have immensely uplifting hooks that earn their place on this album. If Across the Dark was their trial album with clean vocals, then One for Sorrow seems to be where they've gained their footing with them.

As the final notes of One for Sorrow rang out, I looked back not only on what I had heard in the past hour but on the entire history of Insomnium. Their progression since their 1999 demo really is a wonder; they hardly sound like the same band anymore. Each album is a subtle shift from the last, and it all adds up. They've been changing and they'll continue to change, but if there's one thing nature can teach us, it is that change is inevitable. But the sky will always be above us, and the world will continue to turn. So while Insomnium have introduced new elements into their music and have taken a few away over the past few albums, one thing remains the same: consistency and quality have always been two key ingredients to Insomnium's music, and One for Sorrow is proof of that yet again.

IRONxPANTERA
    I felt like I sometimes knew what notes were coming next, where the buildups and breaks would be, etc, but that didnt mean that I couldnt enjoy it. Quite the contrary. While some melodeath bands can be a little predictable, Insomniums execution of the genre is what makes them stand out so much.
    I completely agree with this statement! Just because there are similariteis in their songs does not mean the are terrible; if someone thinks that, then how the hell do they enjoy any music? This album gave me an odd impression on the first listen, but it has been growing on me vastly. I love Ville's clean vocals, they are very appropriate and fit in well
    pravar7
    I heard Across the Dark the week it came out, and I've heard it a million times since. Sure parts of it were kinda crappy and forced, but I loved it anyway. I've been waiting for more since my first complete listen of that album, and from this review and the two songs I've heard so far, this is not going to be a let down at all.
    Amuro Jay
    Ometh wrote: Please do not compare this band with any metalcore band, it makes you seem ignorant.
    vs
    also,
    vs http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4pGrsB7TwM Can't deny the initial similarities in the introductions. You have to expect some similarities, especially when you consider how big of an influence Scandinavian metal bands had on these bands. Don't accuse others of being ignorant when the facts are so blatantly in front of you.
    maowcat
    It's a great improvement over across the dark, that album was gross, only track's i liked on it were the first two. As the reviewer said their music has evolved greatly but they are still predictable, the problem is none of the tracks stuck out to me. Almost all of the outro's were. Biggest complaint is i can't hear the vocal's at all, nillo is such a powerful screamer, i wish the production was more like across the dark (even though i didn't like the album).
    Ometh
    alex_crawford
    awesome, gotta check it out. i have to say though, i really liked the production on across the dark.
    Thrash Jage
    Bought this album today and it's ****ing amazing! They have definitely improved their abilities. Though the music is still predictable, as the review states, the songs are great and have that Insomnium sound. Definitely recommend this to a fan of Melodeath. Can't wait to see them live!
    alex_crawford
    I haven't heard the clean vocals on this album yet but from what I hear, they're much better than the ones on Across the Dark. For me the clean vocals on ATD was the major downpoint on the overall album.
    CydoniaKnight95
    Great band, I'll be looking forward to listening to this album Oh and this was probably the best review I've ever read
    pailoong
    henkka_potku wrote: Thrash Jage wrote: turtleboy wrote: This album is my second favourite album. Right behind Wintersun. Omg! Someone knows Wintersun! Great to see some fans and can't wait for Time. But... EVERYONE knows Wintersun? What the heck is the deal with Insomnium anyway? i-VI-X chord progressions all the time.
    I'm confused... a minor 1, major 4, major 10 chord progression? I've never heard a major 10th before.
    henkka_potku
    Mr Winters
    Add me to the list of "oh-my-god-I-need-the-new-Wintersun-album" people
    GoDVraccas
    Good review. really wonder why everyone hates the clean passages on AtD so much, i really like them. but anyway, ville friman still did the better job. didnt expect it from him being so powerful and also unique. for me this is the best album since 2009 (AtD) and i m pretty sure the next album that can come even close to "one for sorrow" will be insomniums follower
    pailoong
    Insomnium took over Dream Theater as my favorite band, and this album proves why. Great review!
    Thrash Jage
    Omg! Someone knows Wintersun! Great to see some fans and can't wait for Time .
    Blizk
    I find the inspiration lacking a little on this album. The first half is solid stuff, but it loses momentum when going to "Every Hour Wounds" and beyond. I'd probably take a full point away from your review score even though it's a painless listen.
    xicetraex
    I love Above the Weeping World.. This seems to be a good album so far, although I've only listened to it a few times. Across the dark had some awesome moments but I hated the clean vocals in it (they sounded so whiny). The clean vocals on this album seem to be much more tolerable to me but I'm still not big on them. Great review.
    Countsluggo
    This band is one of the most consistent metal bands out there. Their last 2 were instant classics and must haves in my collection. Anyone hating on any of their catalog must just like deathcore. haha. Great album. 9/10 easily.Its great to see this on the front page news!
    IRONxPANTERA
    I must add that I do not understand all of the hate on Across the Dark. I thought it was brilliant from the first listen, maybe it just me.... I also want to say the production in this album is a little weak, but I can not say that till I actually have the album in my hands.
    syntheticocean
    Well I youtube'd these guys since I've never heard of them. I have spent the last hour listening to them and thanks to reviews that pop up on UG I've discovered something awesome! My only negative is the lyrics. I'm still not a fan of growling stuff that you can't understand without googling the lyrics. That is me and always will be me. Oh well.
    Prof. Woland
    For me this was the best album to come out in 2011! And one of Insomnium's very best with the other one being AtD. Still, I think they could've done a better job on the clean vocals. Hope that Ville will improve them for the next release.