Distort Yourself review by Institute

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Institute: Distort Yourself

Just as I like Bush, Institute sounds very similar (I wonder why) and I like their sound. However, I think that Institute could really have made more heavier songs. In my opinion, Distort Yourself lacks a spark. It just doesn't ignite the music gene that makes you want to listen to it again and again. Plus, the music they play really doesn't build off Bush, it basically is Bush.

I like Gavin's voice, but Distort Yourself's lyrics just aren't very good. When Animals Attack's lyrics just suck and so do Save the Robots. The only songs lyrics that I really like are Bullet Proof Skin and Mountains. The lyrics to most of these songs just aren't intriguing.

Well obviously, the CD is very Bush-esque. I would probably have to say the only songs that I like both the lyrics and the riffs are Bullet Proof Skin and Mountains. Although Information Age and Boom Box has some good sound, the lyrics just drag them down. If you like Bush, you probably should buy this CD to see if it really appeals to you. In my opinion its a drop off from Bush, but you should see for yourself. I don't think that I would buy it again if I lost it, but I'm glad I at least gave the CD a shot.