Distort Yourself Review

Released: Sep 13, 2005
Label: Interscope
Genre: Rock
Styles: Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal
Even though the album isn't an across the board success, it's a solid debut and it's interesting to see where Institute goes in the future.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.6
 8.3
 8.9
reviews (5) user comments vote for this album:
Distort Yourself Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on september 14, 2005

Sound: Have you ever heard of distortion? I think I've heard it on Metallica albums and most heavy metal albums. Not to compare, because I would do that, but Bush had a little distortion, nothing like Institute's debut album. Distort Yourself might seem weak in sound at first glance but for what the album is intended for it does a fine job. The album is dedicated to Gavin Rossdale's deceased dog Winston. The sound is heavy. It has a couple of softer type tracks but the album can be considered "hard rock." The styles of this album is basic lead, rhythm guitars, drums and bass. The effects on lead guitarist Chris Traynor sound ingenious on some of the songs. Gavin basically plays easy power chords, but who said you must solo here? Their are a few solos but nothing like Slash or Kirk Hammit believe that. Distort Yourself's album cover suggests a soft, or mid-tempo album, but although when you listen to the large amount of distortion in each song you feel distorted. The song "Ambulances" must be a future hit or single. It has too much going for it with the soft tone and the powerful chorus. I feel like the album's sound may be overused a little with the same distortion tones, but it isn't all that bad at the end of the day. // 6

Lyrics: Gavin Rossdale writes all the songs on this record. Some say that his writing is non-sense and crazy. I think it's some of the best lyrics today. He doesn't give you face value lyrics all the time, his lyrics are metaphoric really, and they can sound a little weird but they really aren't. Sometimes an artists vision of writing a song isn't supposed to be met. Gavin sings "Cool to disappear but I missed you more these days. And army of tatooed angels have brought me back today" on the first and current single "Bullet Proof Skin." He also sings in probably the single to come later on this year or early next year in the song "Ambulances" which features Gwen Stefani on one chorus: "There are so many ambulances, less you ask, more you see, there are so many accidents, it's the universe and nothing's free". Lets face it Gavin Rossdale can write a song. His words are very inspirational to everyone in general terms. The lyrics although could of been used around the songs better in some. Overall they're great and what can you say? // 10

Overall Impression: This is a new band feauturing a lead singer/writer/guitarist from a older band "Bush." It's a debut album so you can't compare really. The better songs on the album are "Wasteland," "Bullet Proof Skin," "Ambulances," "Secrets and Lies" and "Mountains." I don't like how the distortion on the album is overused. It is almost the same tone in every song. Traynor changes up his effects but Gavin doesn't. The bass playing is very good. Cache Tolman is a new bassist and he's the real deal. Charlies Walker on drums gives a steady beat but all and all it really isn't enough to give the album a "high" rating. It's just a good album and not great. I was hoping for something awesome but it's just good. I do like the album and the next album shouldn't use Page Hamilton to produce it. The band would be better off to use a grunge/rock sound instead of trying to sound like Cold or Disturbed. If it was lost I would get it again yes. I would definatley check them out. This is a review coming from a very critical fan of the band. If you want me to it's not better then any Bush album except "Golden State." It's irrelvant to do that though. Bush isn't here, but Insitute is. Check them out! // 6

Distort Yourself Reviewed by: VerseChorusVers, on september 24, 2005

Sound: After Bush broke up, I thought that was it for Gavin Rossdale. I was wrong. Gavins new invention, Institute, has taken the Bush sound to a whole new level. Institute is a collaberation of a few awesome bands but into one. Orange 9mm, Helmet, and of course, Bush. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great, very poetic, great writing skills. The lyrics sound great with the music. They really give you an eerie sence of feeling when you hear the lyrics with the guitars playing in the backround. Singer skills? Come on, it's Gavin Rossdale, he fails to dissapoint as usual. His very unique voice and vocal style that everybody loves is back on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album contains no filler. It is an album you can listen to right through. 01. Bullet Proof Skin - the first hit off the album. Great song, great music, great singing, just awesome 8/10. 02. When Animals Attack - good song. Cool lyrics, the chorus can get old sometimes though. But it's alright 7/10. 03. Come On Over - next hit? Maybe. This is a really excellent song, has a few differnet mood changes. Lyrics are brilliant, great song 9/10. 04. Information Age - cool song, very catchy chorus. Awesome guitar riff 8/10. 05. Wasteland - one of my personal favorites, has hit potential. Lyrics may reference to 9/11? Just overall awesome song 9/10. 06. Boom Box - everyone I know loves this song. It's a great song, I love how it goes from mellow to the heavy loud stuff, brilliant 8/10. 07. Seventh Wave - not the best song, but it's alright. A lot of better songs 6/10. 08. The Heat Of Your Love - cool song, not my favorite but awesome music and lyrics 7/10. 09. Ambulances - favorite song! Best song on the album in my opinion. The lyrics and the music combined create the weridest feeling. Song left me in "ah" 10/10. 10. Secrets And Lies - not bad, not great, it's just ok 6/10. 11. mountains - another one of my favorites. The "We glow we glow" is awesome 9/10. 12. Save The Robots - nice mellow song to end the album with 7/10. // 9

Distort Yourself Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Being a big Helmet fan, and having this album produced by Helmet frontman, Page Hamilton, I really like the sound that gets pushed out on this debut album. On some songs it's nice because they sound like Bush. A combination of Helmet and Bush, in my opinion was and hopefully will continue to be a huge success. // 9

Lyrics: Gavin's lyric are always fun to follow along with while listening. Having time off from Bush did him some good, on a sense of giving him time to come up with lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: I love Helmet and Bush is quite alright, so the combination of the two is awesome. When Animals Attack is catchy tune and Bullet Proof Skin caught my attention when I first heard it. My favorite part of the album is how the sound and Gavin's voice come together. I can't wait for the next album by Institute. // 9

Distort Yourself Reviewed by: RockerX275, on october 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is honestly good minus the fact Gavin doesn't take the risk of changing his distortion up much. It's Bush because of Gavin but masterpiece because of the band as a whole, all of the members. It's better than most if not all the music we have currently on this market. It's so good and innovating due to the fact they have a different kind of style added to them. Don't get me wrong Bush was excellent but this is just a ballsier version of Gavin we haven't seen so far it's great. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics like anything that bleeds from the pen of Gavin, these lyrics are phenominal minus some repition in Animals Attack. Not doggin on the material I just would have had a better chorus. Otherwise a masterpiece. // 9

Overall Impression: I was impressed on the time that went into this record. You really can feel it. I honestly waited for this as soon as I heard Gavin was on the prowl for another creation. The most impressive record that I have heard as of late. I think Come On Over and Ambulances are defining as different sounding. I also think heavy hitting tracks such that as Boom Box and Wasteland are excellent. Overall the music, the lyrics, the sound, the feeling all of which are absolutely amazing to me. Best damn CD out there right now in this style of music. // 10

Distort Yourself Reviewed by: fabs1925, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Just as I like Bush, Institute sounds very similar (I wonder why) and I like their sound. However, I think that Institute could really have made more heavier songs. In my opinion, Distort Yourself lacks a spark. It just doesn't ignite the music gene that makes you want to listen to it again and again. Plus, the music they play really doesn't build off Bush, it basically is Bush. // 8

Lyrics: I like Gavin's voice, but Distort Yourself's lyrics just aren't very good. When Animals Attack's lyrics just suck and so do Save the Robots. The only songs lyrics that I really like are Bullet Proof Skin and Mountains. The lyrics to most of these songs just aren't intriguing. // 6

Overall Impression: Well obviously, the CD is very Bush-esque. I would probably have to say the only songs that I like both the lyrics and the riffs are Bullet Proof Skin and Mountains. Although Information Age and Boom Box has some good sound, the lyrics just drag them down. If you like Bush, you probably should buy this CD to see if it really appeals to you. In my opinion its a drop off from Bush, but you should see for yourself. I don't think that I would buy it again if I lost it, but I'm glad I at least gave the CD a shot. // 6

Comments