Antics Review

Interpol: Antics
Release Date: Sep 28, 2004
Label: Matador
Genres: Indie Rock
With their polished sound, Interpol rose to prominance above most of their New York rawk cousins and "Antics" gets to expand their sound further.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.7
 9.3
Antics Reviewed by: a_rush_of_blood, on december 09, 2005

Sound: Antics is Interpols second album, the follow up to 2003's Turn On The Bright Lights. Antics is a far less sombre outing, using pop hooks in songs like Evil and C'mere to embellish their already brilliant songwritng. Interpol is a NYC band, like the Strokes except with far deeper vocals, imaginative and captivating lyrics and creative drumwork. The sound is driven along by Carlos D's seductive bassowrk and Sam Fogarinos banging drumwork, and embellished by Daniel Kessler and Paul Banks riffs, swaying from distorted power chords to elegaic riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Paul Banks voice, and indeed the entire band has been compared against Joy Division. Banks does have a similar voice, yet his lyrics are beyond belief. Take you on a Cruise, possibly the song that recalls Turn on the Bright Lights most on the record, tells a story of a man chasing a woman on a boat. A Time to be so Small is about a father and son arguing which appears to get malicious, and C'mere is the only real love song on the record; "The trouble is that you're in love with someone else". Banks powerful delivery, even when talking slow like on Narc, gives every track a passion vital to its brilliance. // 10

Overall Impression: Interpol is my favourite band. My favourite tracks were A Time To Be So Small, Evil and Take You On A Cruise. Antics is not as emotional or immense as Turn on The Bright Lights, but is still one of the best rock releases of 2004. // 10

Antics Reviewed by: rad82, on december 20, 2005

Sound: Interpol has a very different sound than any other band. The mellow but awakening sounds make you realize there are people in this world who can think differnetly and still sound good when it comes to music. Dare to pe different man. // 8

Lyrics: I like their singer's voice. I can definatly tell the music I'm listening to is by them just by listening to Paul Bank's Rock The Mike in his own way. The lyrics are pretty good. A lot aobut just life in general, some more specifically about love, but that's never really that bad so overall, I'd say the lyrics are ok. // 9

Overall Impression: Antics is definatly one would chill with. It's hard to compete with some of the other stuff they've put out, but its still a great cd, especially "Evil" and "The Length Of Love." Definatly a very good CD. // 8

Antics Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 24, 2006

Sound: With their dark and depressive debut, "Turn On the Bright Lights," Interpol won over fans and critics alike. Their distict sound fused '80s-ish new wave music with lead singer Paul Bank's monotonous voice, and the results were spectacular. With "Antics," Interpol stays true to the sound that made them famous while adding a little more optimism to their songs, as not to turn off their fans. "Antics" is a very strong record, although it can be a little slow at times. // 8

Lyrics: Singer Paul Banks' monotonus voice fits the frantic music in the background very well, contrasting beautifully with the upbeat bass lines and fast-paced guitars. The lyrics, though sometimes very deep, often make no sense at all, which is one of the things that frustrates me most about this album. // 7

Overall Impression: I like "Antics" better than their debut because it is less depressive and sluggish sounding. My favorite tracks are "Length Of Love," "Evil" and "Slow Hands." I love everything except the lyrics. Interpol is the perfect band for someone who wants mellow, intelligent indie rock. // 8

Comments