Our Love to Admire review by Interpol

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Interpol: Our Love to Admire

This isn't a unlikely story. a band forms in a big city, gigs and writes nonstop for a few years until it gains credibility, then releases an album or two on an independent label to critical acclaim and good sales before they retain enough attention to get signed on a major label. This is where the red flags go up. not to say that a major label had anything to do with it, but this record, compared to the jagged brilliance of "Turn on the Bright Lights" and smooth touch of "Antics", the sound of this album is a major departure from the Interpol of old. Almost gone is the intricate basslines, the inventive drum patterns, and back and forth style between the guitars. With the new label and the new budget, we're introduced to horns, more prominent keyboard work, strings, etc. etc. Sometimes it works, but most of the time the extra instruments just come off as unneccasary. It just seems as if everything has been turned down a notch. The rhythym section has been damn near eliminated, with no real bass flair on this record, and drums that just seem to blend in track after track due to the lack of variety in time signatures from song to song. The guitars are front and center on this album, which wouldn't be a bad thing, except for the progressions don't vary much from song to song. After about 4 or 5 tracks, they all just blend into one another, with no real distinction between riffs, progressions, and leads. now there are still some good songs on this album, the best being the opener "Pioneer to the Falls". The song is reminicent of songs like "Untitled", with wavy, swirling guitar lines and a overpowering bass prescence, complimented by tight drumming. Another being the gleefully enjoyable "No I In Threesome", which has a great melody and chorus. The album doesn't move much, or get much better from that point however. it might be that they're evolving their sound, and I'm all for evolution and progression. But when you're used to an Interpol record that is varied and exciting, this one seems monotonous and dull.

Once again, singer Paul Banks is back with his oddball lyrics and soaring vocals, which is never a bad thing. Once again, his best moment, lyrically and vocally, comes in the opener "Pioneer to the Falls". The rest of the album had some good ideas, ("No I In Threesome", "Mammoth", "Wrecking Ball", and "The Lighthouse"), it's just that they never really take off. It's not really fair to compare this album to "Antics" vocally, since he gave such a strong performance on that album, but expect much of the same vocal work on this album. Once again, some good ideas, but they never really impress.

It just seems that Interpol got lazy on this one. The songwriting isn't half of what they're capable of, and the chances they take on this record seem uninspired and unneeded. I'm not saying that it would be good to record another "Bright Lights" or "Antics", but this new record doesn't have the creativity, charisma, or intensity of their older material. not an absolutely awful album, but a low point in Interpol's catalogue. Compared to what Interpol is capable of, this is a dissapointment. I can only hope that their return to form won't take too long.

Paul Lambeth
    Uhuh, just bought it. Definately my favourite album by them . Favourite songs have to be either Pace is the Trick, Pioneer to the Falls (Paul's singing's amazing there) or Lighthouse. The other songs are great too.
    Lauke_101
    lovely.. this album is really solid and yet so refreshing, I love it. I waited for more than 2 weeks before I was able to get my hands on the limited edition but that was worth the wait too =D Now I only hope I can go to their gig over here in the NL, they play the 20 of November
    gitarzero89
    good album, combines Antics and Turn On the Bright Lights. Paul's voice has come a long way, sounds almost soulful on Pace is the Trick. Wrecking Ball has probably the most beautiful outro they've done since PDA, and this band knows how to play an outro.
    Paul Lambeth
    ^ I think I was high then. Initially a few tracks stood out as being brilliant, but overall as an album there are too many weak points. Turn On The Bright Lights I fear will never be eclipsed - Carlos's presence is felt with the strings and keyboard but less and less with the bass. However saying this the album is still an evolution, just.. being the typical Interpol fan it has a lot of weak points.
    jinx92
    When i went to see them in london this year, to my surprise people were moshing... it was odd and i could say piss annoying at the same time, just didnt fit. but every song is amazing!
    j-boy199
    ^ lol I hate it when people mosh to the wrong kinda music I went to an editors concert and people moshed :S lol this album rocks!
    The_Rant
    Umm, thats not Carlos playing. They got some other guy in for the keyboards who always seems to wear a hat.
    Some of the songs fit moshing- Slow Hands or songs like that. I saw them in Sydney. There was moshing. i was covered in sweat by the end of the night and it got so cramped that the bouncers were squirting water bottles into the people in the front row (myself included). It were a real cracking night though.