Our Love To Admire Review

Interpol: Our Love To Admire
Release Date: Jul 10, 2007
Label: Capitol
Genres: Indie Rock
Riding the critical and commercial success of their previous two albums, New York's Interpol return with their third full length release, Our Love to Admire.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
Our Love To Admire Featured review by: UG Team, on july 16, 2007

Sound: Interpol are renowned for their sparse guitar driven sound (which draws likeness to Joy Division) and powerful bass lines provided by Carlos Dengler and accompanied by the distinct vocals of singer Paul Banks. Fans of Interpol will enjoy the familiar simplicity of the bands earlier work along with the additions of some new elements. Along with bringing a new producer onboard (Rich Costey of Muse and Franz Ferdinand fame), the presence of extra instruments such as keyboard and horn section are more prevalent than in previous efforts, giving the album a more solid sound. Guitarist Daniel Kessler was quoted in NME magazine saying We had keyboards on from the start which we've never done before. It's like a fifth member. There's a lot more texture, and interesting sounds, there's definitely progression and growth. Lead in track Pioneer to the Falls, and the final track Lighthouse, are perfect examples of this, with the extra elements creating a more ambitious sound. Yet while the addition of extra background keys gives Our Love to Admire a different dimension than their previous releases, it does not deviate much from Interpol's traditional sound, building only slightly on the groups overall sound. The more radio friendly The Heinrich Maneuver and Mammoth provide the more driving, energetic sounds likely to create a buzz at a live show. // 7

Lyrics: Paul Banks is renowned for his distinct, deep and almost haunting vocal work, an approach that separates Interpol's music from most other music in the same circles. However Paul Banks critically acclaimed singing and lyric works are also the bands worst selling point, it's one of those voices that you either love, or completely drives you away from the band. Interpol's lyrics are also distinctively cryptic and definite departures from the 'norm' as far as mainstream music goes. However the depth of the lyrics is also a factor in the enjoyment of the music. Basically, the wording and vocabulary used is not going to be understood or enjoyed by the lower-working class. However the lyrics can also have a light hearted aim, lead single The Heinrich Maneuver seems to be directed at today's Hollywood starlets (ie Paris, mind you in the video clip she gets hit by a bus), or a more sexually charged theme, There's no I in Threesome, 'Maybe it's time we give something new a try'. // 8

Overall Impression: Our Love to Admire is a definite build upon Interpol's previous albums, a stronger overall sound powered by the addition of keys and backing elements give the album a more consistent appeal, unfortunately Our Love to Admire suffers in similar aspects to their previous attempts. The Heinrich Maneuver, All Fired Up, Mammoth and the ending track Lighthouse round of the most enjoyable and listenable tracks to the album. However songs can tend to blend into each other, there is little variability between songs, at least on a sonic level. This is the killing point of the album, while fans will not be disappointed, those who purchase the album on the strength of the lead single The Heinrich Maneuver may have this album out of their players after only one or two listens. Compared to their previous works, Our Love to Admire brings forth a more layered sound to Interpol's music and is a good example of clean sounding 'smart' music. Yet again this can be easily contrasted by the fact that this 'clean' production sound is unlikely to bring in any large amounts of new fans to the band, but it is more than enough to keep the droves of Interpol's fans happy for quite some time. // 8

Our Love To Admire Reviewed by: white_noise, on july 16, 2007

Sound: With all the musical mediocrity dominating the music scene nowadays, I (as well as countless fans and critics) waited for this album with abated breath. Many were concerned that a major record deal would change Interpol for the worse, though these fears were certainly unfounded. What we have here is a CD of huge ambition and development, although in comparison to previous works I'd say this is more like debut, Turn On The Bright Lights, than follow up Antics. It contains huge, expansive sounds and the more integrated keyboards really add to Interpol's atmospheric quality. // 9

Lyrics: The department of Interpol's vocals rest squarely on one man's shoulders. And it's fair to say that Paul Banks is a fairly love or hate musician, most will love him. And his growth from Antics to Admire is quite breathtaking. Harmonies are used on a few occasions and are really effective in 'The Scale' and 'The Heinrich Manoeuvre'. Overall it shows a more in depth way of thinking for this band, which have often been dismissed as Joy Division wannabes just because of Paul's baritone voice. He really 'sings' this time round, in fact his live performances of old songs also seem to have benefited. The lyrics in Our Love To Admire, as with past efforts, are somewhat cryptic though as always they seem to just work. In album closer 'The Lighthouse' (a song that was only put on the album at all because of Paul's singing) his voice is exposed against a single guitar and he really does make the grade. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Pioneer To The Falls - the natural opener to OLTA, Pioneer To The Falls stars of low key with Daniel's trademark brittle guitar riff, before the layers slowly build into an atmospheric powerhouse of sound. Paul's vocals are particularly potent here, especially when the guitars fade leaving just that voice against Sam's drums, with talk of 'Flying straight into my heart. But here comes the fall It really is spine tingling stuff, and I'm sure would be a terrific set opener live. 02. No I In Threesome - given the suggestive title, a lot of speculation has surrounded this song. Despite this, I would consider it to be one of the weaker tracks of the record. The intro is nice and Paul's singing and lyrics are pleasing. However at the end of the four minutes you don't feel all that inspired, and the chorus rather loses itself under its own heavy timbre. 03. The Scale - this is most probably the moodiest, most sinister (sinister being something Interpol have done so well before) song on the record. The belting opening guitar line repeated throughout sets off a really solid song. Paul's use of harmony here is absolutely spot on, while the (for want of a better word) 'spooky' organesque keys add to the dark nature of the track. 04. The Heinrich Manoeuvre - obviously, this was going to be the first single, it definitely has the most instant likableness of any song on OLTA. Despite the similarity to Antics' 'Slow Hands', The Heinrich Manoeuvre could certainly turn out to be Interpol's most successful single yet. The flawless bass line/vocals combination and Paul's swirling guitar take you through the verses and then you're hit by impeccable harmonies and pitch-bent guitars in, what is in my opinion, the best Interpol chorus to date. A really classy interlude and a spiky, aggressive ending complete a great song. 05. Mammoth - although Interpol should have stuck with working title 'Pawn Shop' for this, Mammoth is certainly an intriguing song. At first glance, I thought this might have just become Length of Love #2. However where the worst Antics song failed, Mammoth succeeds. The guitars here are relentless rather than just boring, and the keyboard driven chorus provides a needed break and perfect contrast to the rest of the song. 06. Pace Is The Trick - having listened to this album several times, this has emerged as one of my favourite songs. Daniels fragile guitar line (a bit too similar to that of Pioneer To The Falls for my liking) which starts the song quickly builds with Paul's voice again prominent, and provides two different refrains that are both beautifully constructed and executed. Paul's held vocal notes really drive through the rhythm, bringing the hairs on the hairs on the back of your neck to a stand. 07. All Fired Up - is widely considered by Interpol fans to be the weakest song on the album. It does however, have its own individual merits, although it takes a few listens. This is a shout-along chant of a track that also seems to include double-bassing from Carlos in the opening verse, though I don't know this for a fact. 'All Fired Up' is a deeply catchy song, though the lack of technical prowess and mystery may render it unattractive to some fans. 08. Rest My Chemistry - in my opinion this would make the best second single from the album. It is a deep, rich sounding track with prominent piano, which is highly listenable. But scratch beyond this thick sound and a real story of sorrow and remorse again sung beautifully, although the lyric Like a daisy in my lazy eye in such a context is truly shameful for such a good lyricist. I also see this becoming a live favourite of future Interpol concerts. 09. Who Do You Think? - again considered one of the less memorable numbers, 'Who Do You Think?' begins with a slow mournful chord progression; perhaps duping the listener into thinking this would be another sombre outing. This of course is not the case, as the verses and refrains take the song at full speed through 3 minutes of satisfying, but fairly low impact, song. 10. Wrecking Ball - this however is that sombre outing that 'Who Do You Think?' promised. Wrecking ball is a purposeful, considered song of sorrow and lost love. This is the B-Side to one of the formats of single, 'The Heinrich Manoeuvre' and it couldn't be more different. This track relies heavily on atmosphere and haunting vocals to see it through, and it does itself proud. A hidden gem for sure. 11. The Lighthouse - originally called 'Spaghetti Western', The Lighthouse was the only track fit to end this brilliant album. Largely unaccompanied (other than Daniels highly distinctive tremolo picking) Paul gives a vocal master class, singing of life out at sea. The song builds every now and again introducing pianos and bass before reverting back to beautiful, bare guitar. Eventually the drums kick in and the song swirls with breathtaking elegance, which just doesn't go on for long enough. Overall with Our Love To Admire, Interpol do not 'sell out' whatsoever, and the notoriously difficult third album is a total winner. It will introduce many new fans to this wonderful band, and will delight old ones, who have absolutely nothing to worry about and every reason to be happy. // 10

Our Love To Admire Reviewed by: Fatally Jon, on july 16, 2007

Sound: Interpol has come a long way! While Antics was a tremendous achievement, it left listeners with the sense that something was missing. On Our Love To Admire, Interpol has found it. The band explores a much more experimental sound with a depth that was missing from Antics. There are a lot more "spacey" songs on this album, with almost eerie reverb guitar effects and pounding/echoing drum beats. The guys in Interpol took their time to create something really incredible. // 10

Lyrics: Paul Banks does sound similar to Ian Curtis from Joy Division, yes, that doesn't mean anything. As always, his voice blends perfectly into each song, whether it is groovy, mellow, dark, or eerie. It takes on an echo-y brilliance for the haunting track, "Lighthouse". And he can still pour out the quirky-yet-catchy lyrics to fit each track. In the intro track, "Pioneer To The Falls", Paul builds up slowly along with the music, reaching a peak at "And you fly/Straight into my heart/Straght into my heart." "I will rest/My chemistry" Paul sings over the slow, grooving track, "Rest My Chemistry". The catchiest lines of the album come from the first single, "The Heinrich Maneuver", in "And I don't want to take your heart/And I don't want a piece of history/And I don't want to read your thoughts/Any more/My god/But today my heart swings." My favorite lines come from "All Fired Up" where Paul sings: "I've got this soul/It's all fired up! /This soul/It's all fired up!" // 10

Overall Impression: This album has a very mellow and spacey feel to it. While it still has its upbeat, "PDA"-type tracks ("The Heinrich Maneuver", "Mammoth", "All Fired Up") Our Love to Admire delivers mostly somewhat experimental tracks with lots of different effects, arrangements, and more depth than Antics. It's not better than Turn On The Bright Lights, but tremendous as a step in a different direction. I doubt Interpol would try to make another Bright Lights as they evolve to an even better band. I would definitely buy this again, maybe even the special edition at that. Key tracks include "Pioneer To The Falls", "No I In Threesome", "The Heinrich Maneuver", "All Fired Up", "Rest My Chemistry", and the masterpiece closer, "Lighthouse". // 10

Our Love To Admire Reviewed by: HawkaLuigi, on july 16, 2007

Sound: The sound is a remake of an already great band, and they put a little bit more guitar into this album, making it more rock-oriented. I love the guitar parts to "The Scale", and the vocals from Paul Banks matches it perfectly. They've definitely improved on this album, and the sound shows it well. It's not the typical incessant background guitar noise like a normal Indie record. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are excellent, as they always had a talent for it. Banks has a voice that personally I think he should work on a little, as a couple times his voice sounded irritating to me, but it was okay. The lyrics were catchy and I found myself afterwards singing "today my heart swings" from the song "The Heinrich Maneuver". // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I think the album was great, but Antics was definitely better than it in my opinion. The music was great, but the album didn't grow on me as quickly as Antics had or Black Sessions. The songs that stood out to me were "The Heinrich Maneuver", "All Fired Up", and "Mammoth". I love the catchiness of the album, but at times I find Paul Banks' voice annoying. If this thing got lost. I'd buy it again, even if it is $20. // 10

Our Love To Admire Reviewed by: Mahntra, on july 20, 2007

Sound: This isn't a unlikely story. a band forms in a big city, gigs and writes nonstop for a few years until it gains credibility, then releases an album or two on an independent label to critical acclaim and good sales before they retain enough attention to get signed on a major label. This is where the red flags go up. not to say that a major label had anything to do with it, but this record, compared to the jagged brilliance of "Turn on the Bright Lights" and smooth touch of "Antics", the sound of this album is a major departure from the Interpol of old. Almost gone is the intricate basslines, the inventive drum patterns, and back and forth style between the guitars. With the new label and the new budget, we're introduced to horns, more prominent keyboard work, strings, etc. etc. Sometimes it works, but most of the time the extra instruments just come off as unneccasary. It just seems as if everything has been turned down a notch. The rhythym section has been damn near eliminated, with no real bass flair on this record, and drums that just seem to blend in track after track due to the lack of variety in time signatures from song to song. The guitars are front and center on this album, which wouldn't be a bad thing, except for the progressions don't vary much from song to song. After about 4 or 5 tracks, they all just blend into one another, with no real distinction between riffs, progressions, and leads. now there are still some good songs on this album, the best being the opener "Pioneer to the Falls". The song is reminicent of songs like "Untitled", with wavy, swirling guitar lines and a overpowering bass prescence, complimented by tight drumming. Another being the gleefully enjoyable "No I In Threesome", which has a great melody and chorus. The album doesn't move much, or get much better from that point however. it might be that they're evolving their sound, and I'm all for evolution and progression. But when you're used to an Interpol record that is varied and exciting, this one seems monotonous and dull. // 5

Lyrics: Once again, singer Paul Banks is back with his oddball lyrics and soaring vocals, which is never a bad thing. Once again, his best moment, lyrically and vocally, comes in the opener "Pioneer to the Falls". The rest of the album had some good ideas, ("No I In Threesome", "Mammoth", "Wrecking Ball", and "The Lighthouse"), it's just that they never really take off. It's not really fair to compare this album to "Antics" vocally, since he gave such a strong performance on that album, but expect much of the same vocal work on this album. Once again, some good ideas, but they never really impress. // 6

Overall Impression: It just seems that Interpol got lazy on this one. The songwriting isn't half of what they're capable of, and the chances they take on this record seem uninspired and unneeded. I'm not saying that it would be good to record another "Bright Lights" or "Antics", but this new record doesn't have the creativity, charisma, or intensity of their older material. not an absolutely awful album, but a low point in Interpol's catalogue. Compared to what Interpol is capable of, this is a dissapointment. I can only hope that their return to form won't take too long. // 5

Comments