The Incurable Tragedy review by Into Eternity

• Released: Sep 2, 2008
Into Eternity: The Incurable Tragedy

The first and only record I had of this band was Scatterng of Ashes. That CD was flawless so I was really excited when I purchased this record. Little did konw that I was in for a surprise! Into Eternity made an excellent comeback (not really but follow up) with Incurable Tradgedy: a drum-driven, riff-filled adventure about the crappiness of cancer. This is the first concept album I have bought in a while so I was relieved to see a story in the lyrics. Along with Tim and Stu writing some of the best lyrics from the band, the music itself was very impressive as well. Into Eternity integrated their trademark time signature shifts while maintaining balance during each song. The guitar tone is superb.

Stu Block has one of the coolest names of all singers in metal and his voice is just as cool as his name. Stu rips out the vocals like no other with his ability to reach falsetto pitches and still be able to drop down to the low growl. He reminds me a little of King Diamond minus the corpse paint, cape, spiders, vampires, and halloween. 01.Prelude to Woe: another Into Eternity intro but this time with beautiful acoustic guitars and harmonies. Not long enough to have an opinion but the best intro from the band yet. 02.Tides of Blood: very traditional guitar riff to start off but the off-beat vocal parts in the verse are what really drive this song. 8/10 03.Spent Years of Regret: quite reminiscent of Scattering of Ashes yet with a modernized touch. Not the best on the record but definately woth a listen. 6/10 04.Symptoms: this track has a very cool opening riff that makes it sound like the song will be in 12/8 but it remains in a fast four feel. This is a very necessary transition track into what might be the best song on the record. 7/10 05.Diagnosis Terminal: holy crap. Diagnosis may be one of the best songs from this band yet right up there with Nothing and Eternal. Although the only line in the first verse is "Diagnosis Terminal," it breaks into an epic (sorry) chorus that is a kick to sing along to. 9.5/10 06.Incurable Tragedy I: as one of the ballads on the record this track has big shoes to fill. It succeeds and really adds onto the storyline of the CD. 8/10 07.Indignation: one of the heavier tracks of the record Indignation also has a very strong set of riffs and another anthematic chorus. 8/10 08.Time Immemorial: easily the second best song on the record. What makes this track work is Steve's precision drumming and by far his best performance ever on an Into Eternity record. 9/10 09.The Incurable Tragedy II: not the best of the three title tracks but along the same lines as Spent Years of Regret: worth a listen: 6/10 10.Black Light Ending: this song is very sad but it has a powerful riff which supports the track. This might be one of the lowest songs though. 11.One Funeral Hymn For Three: this is an excellent song to be a prelude for the album ending track. One of the better filler songs on this record. 7.5/10

With the band's most ambitious release to date, Incurable Tragedy is definitely right up there with Scattering of Ashes although it may not quite be as good. It ranks well though with every heart-pounding moment of the record ready to blow your head off. I watched the video for the song Time Immemorial and it is very well done with creepy imagery and excellent stage presence of the band so if you have this record or are going to buy it check that out too. The best songs are Incurable Tragedy Pt. 1, Diagnosis Terminal, Time Immemorial, and Indignation. Saskatchewanians are amazing. Anyhow, this CD is incredible.

Noremak
    This album wasnt as special to me as The Scattering of Ashes was to me, but its nothing to argue with
    Phe4rTheGod
    Roth is a f*cking guitar ninja...so is the new vocalist...his range is incredible...
    Lohnanmilitia
    boyan89
    I got this album a 2 months ago, without hearing of them and I was like sweet these guys are good!
    rapscallion
    there is one major problem with scattering of ashes, and that's the kick drum. way too high pitched, can't even call it a bass drum. that however is the ONLY problem
    Into_Eternity23
    Well The Incurable Tragedy is definetly good, but Scattering is way better. Stu Block has one of the best voices ever and I don't see why people pick on him.... Chris was good too tho... Here's my order of my fav Into Eternity albums: 1. The Scaterring Of Ashes 2. Dead Or Dreaming 3. Buried In Oblivion 4. The Incurable Tragedy 5. Into Eternity
    nelliehart {inf
    Lohnanmilitia wrote: Scattering and the Incurable Tragedy are ok and Stu is ok. But When I saw them for the first time Buried In Oblivion had just come out and the lineup they had back then was the best lineup they've ever had. And the best show I've ever seen them put on. I miss the Into Eternity of back then. Still love em though!
    tha-ah-ank you. the original line up just had that raw originality, and the new one seems fine, just polished. it's a case of the new broom sweeps well, but the old broom knows the corners.