The Scattering Of Ashes review by Into Eternity

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Into Eternity: The Scattering Of Ashes

After various lineup changes, this band finally got it nailed. With the addition of a new singer, Stu Block, and the subtraction of guitarist Rob Doherty, there were many changes to the sound. This CD has a very unique sound to it. It blends black metal, death metal, and power metal, into one very unique and amazing sound. Stu Block is an amazing vocalist. He proves exactly how much range he has in Timeless Winter. He sings the low-pitched growl of death metal, higher pitched raspy growl of black metal, and then sings clean with amazing sound, and then hits mind blowing highs. The guitar playing is slightly watered down than last album. I use slightly since the guitar playing is still great in it's own right, but not as great as the last album. "Eternal" is a great example of more melodic riffs. The drumming can't be described by anything but schizophrenic. The pounding double bass will impress even the most stubborn drummers (you know the kind). Jim Austin has still got it in him. All in all, one amazing sound that I guarantee you will fall in love with.

The lyrics are perfectly complimented with the music. Such choruses like "Severe Emotional Distress", "Nothing", and "Pain Through Breathing" will stick in your head and not want to leave. Personally, I don't pay much attention to lyrics. Stu Block really steals the show with his singing. Whether it is hitting highs that not many men can hit in the song "Nothing", or doing the now-forgotten airraid siren in "Pain Through Breathing".

Overall, this album had very high expectations to achieve set by the last album, and it very well pleased the fans. Now, there will still be the occasional fan that still thinks that Buried in Oblivion is the best Into Eternity album, but there will always be that one fan for every band that always thinks the previous albums are better than the current. This album also separates them from every other band. How many other melodic death black power metal bands can you think of? It is hard to pick out which songs stands out above the rest, considering all are amazing in their own right. "Nothing" highlights exactly how high Stu Block can go while still achieving full voice, "Timeless Winter" is easily one of the most brutal songs on the album, "Pain Through Breathing" has a chorus that will just buzz in your head and never leave. There were some nitpicks, such as the highly unnecessary intro. The goods heavily outweigh the bads to the point where you don't even pay attention to them. I recommend buying 6 copies. One to listen to, 4 to give to friends, one to keep in case you lose the original copy, and another to help boost sales.

CrushedCan
    Gregray88
    Oh man, these guys are SICK. And to the comment above^ maybe they werent on their game that nigth but man, if u listen to one of their albums you will be amazed. They are insane.
    sk8rMeTaLhEaD27
    CrushedCan wrote: I saw em live with Dream Theater...they were horrible to me. Every solo sounded the same, run up and down the scales, and the singing just seemed random and didn't go with the music. Dream Theater was awesome though I do respect these guys for writing music and getting on stage and doing their thing, they have balls. -Can
    i saw these guys live with dream theater as well, and they were phenominal, the vocalists range was incredible, the guitarists solo's were so good. the only thing i'd have to say is there whole set was kind of low, volume wise.
    Molodov
    only complaints about this album are the terrible triggered kick drums, but its metal, so what can you do. The vocals are killer, as are the guitars, except some of the solos are kinda generic. good songs though.
    a_god
    i love I.E., but when i saw them with Dream Theater the singer was just...off. his range was ridiculous, but i mean, why hit a high note that doesnt go along with the song? other than that, they played an awesome show.
    emr_steelmech
    I recommend buying 6 copies. One to listen to, 4 to give to friends, one to keep in case you lose the original copy, and another to help boost sales. // 10
    lol thats SEVEN copies chief, but that's ok, i'll still buy all seven. What sucks though, is that when we saw Dream Theater, we missed Into Eternity's whole set We were so effing pissed until Dream Theater came on, then we all just dropped our jaws and stared at the musical LSD.
    soadrocker856
    Heh, I wrote this review at 2 a.m. and had a slight buzz going from some previous beers.
    soadrocker856
    Yeah I saw them perform with Edguy and got my pick guard signed by Stu Block. They are amazing. They are touring with Symphony X next spring so be sure to mark that on your calender.
    freedomdeceptiv
    definitely one of the sickest vocal ranges i've ever heard... awesome guitar and bass and the drumming is pretty sweet but the double bass sounds a bit too clicky...
    SlashIsGod091
    I saw these guys with Children Of Bodom last year and they totally blew me away! Especially the singer, I was in awe of his range!