The Design review by Into the Moat

• Released: Mar 8, 2005
Into the Moat: The Design

While searching around Metal Blade for some new fresh artists to listen to, I came across these Dillinger-esque metallers, and at first I wasn't sure what to think, would it be just another bland metalcore band doing the same chugs and riffs? No. ITM take metalcore in another direction, which is refreshing. When I heard "Dead Before I Stray", it was clear this was a different type of sound, fusing metalcore and frantic math metal/hardcore breakdows. The singer is excellent and I love the jazz influence and guitar runs they do. I had to check out the rest of the CD and I was impressed.

I'm not too familiar with the lyrics, as if you could hear them, but that's not a bad thing. Again, the singer is a good fit for the music, and can range from high screams to growls. This is a good thing instead of the usual one tone of screaming throughout every song.

As a whole, this band caught me by surprise and I like what I hear so far, even though I haven't picked up the CD yet, I'm sure I will very soon, as anyone into metalcore or this type of music should. I'm reviewing on the band and the music overall, which is very good. I'm happy to say that I've found a new band to be interested in and actually be proud of the sound they deliver, because a lot of stuff is so much the same. I think this album is worth a listen, and I think I would probably get another one if it were lost, even though they haven't been my fav band forever or anything. The songs themselves have are not that long, ranging from a minute to 3 minutes, the longest songs being Beyond Treachery (5:04) and the last song prologue at over 7 minutes. They remind me of Dead to Fall in a way. At any rate, a good band to check out and if you wanna hear their work in full, get this album, as I'm sure it exceeds their last one and if you like what you hear, it will be worth it.

evilkow
    Such an amazing band/album. Very technical and heavy as ****! My favorite song is probably fortitudine, some really neat guitar harmonies in that one.