The Design review by Into the Moat

• Released: Mar 8, 2005
Into the Moat: The Design

Musicianship in metalcore has hit an all-time low, what with most bands nowadays focused on brutalizing the riffs as much as possible and exploiting their breakdowns as though it's the only way to keep them alive. If you feel that way, but you love the genre and want something fresh, look no further than this gem. These guys are almost too good at song compositions and playing their instruments of choice, it goes beyond metalcore and delves into quite a few different influences, even jazz ("Dead Before I Stray"). They also use sampling to great effect ("Empty Shell").

The lyrics are very well-written, I believe they reference ancient Greek warfare. There is a false conjugate in "Empty Shell" that was one of the highlights of when I first heard the album, it sounds as though Earl screams "Watch Me Die!" and then cuts to a sample of somebody shooting a machine gun on a battlefield, however they are not the real lyrics. Still pretty cool, though. Earl can do the highs and lows and make it sound slightly different from the rest of the pack.

I want to give this a 9.5 but I can't. At first it really does just seem like all that is going on is chaos and nothing more, keep listening to it and then you notice all the details. Once again, their musicianship is profound, and their live show really is something else. I'm most impressed with "Dead Before I Stray," "None Shall Pass," and "Empty Shell." If somebody stole the album from me I would absolutely destroy them, then buy it again. So get this album, but keep in mind that it's just 9 tracks long and clocks in around 32 minutes. And if you can dig it, keep an eye peeled for "The Campaign," whenever it comes out.

TheTallOne
    All I remember from this band was that they have a song where the vocalist holds a growl for like at least 10 seconds.