The Design Review

Into the Moat: The Design
Release Date: Mar 8, 2005
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Rock
While The Design isn't exceptional or mind-blowing, it's a decent (if slightly uneven) effort that is worth hearing if one has a taste for the extreme.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.3
 9.4
 7.2
The Design Reviewed by: legions, on october 19, 2005

Sound: This CD is very technical and has some of the most impressive guitar work out their, if you're a fan of mathcore fused metal then you definitly need this. The guitars really are genious, I can not even describe how technical their songs are. The vocals also compliment the band very well. With that screaming you can never go wrong of this style of music. This band was playing a show very near by and I was so disappointed that I couldnt go. But at least I was at home listening to their masterpiece, the design. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are pretty well written, and their vocals compliment the style. You can really tell this band is full of musicians and not wannabes. So just do yourself a favor and finish reading this review and go to any near by record store and buy this immediatly. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite mathcore inspired CD, not very many bands can do this style and acctually succeed, but Into The Moat, is like the leading leader of the genre. I think all of the songs on this CD are great, I really like the intro guitar work, but all of the amazing stuff carries on through the CD so, I really couldn't choose a favorite. I love the guitar work on this album, the only thing I hate is in some parts it can get repetative with the music, and that can get pretty annoying some days, but then this change it up as I'm just about to hit stop. If this CD were lost or stolen I would run to the store to buy a new copy, and seeing as the nearest store that sells music like this is about 45 miles, that is a very long way to run through the mountains. So seriously, go buy this CD right now, you won't regret it, I promise. // 10

The Design Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2006

Sound: While searching around Metal Blade for some new fresh artists to listen to, I came across these Dillinger-esque metallers, and at first I wasn't sure what to think, would it be just another bland metalcore band doing the same chugs and riffs? No. ITM take metalcore in another direction, which is refreshing. When I heard "Dead Before I Stray", it was clear this was a different type of sound, fusing metalcore and frantic math metal/hardcore breakdows. The singer is excellent and I love the jazz influence and guitar runs they do. I had to check out the rest of the CD and I was impressed. // 8

Lyrics: I'm not too familiar with the lyrics, as if you could hear them, but that's not a bad thing. Again, the singer is a good fit for the music, and can range from high screams to growls. This is a good thing instead of the usual one tone of screaming throughout every song. // 9

Overall Impression: As a whole, this band caught me by surprise and I like what I hear so far, even though I haven't picked up the CD yet, I'm sure I will very soon, as anyone into metalcore or this type of music should. I'm reviewing on the band and the music overall, which is very good. I'm happy to say that I've found a new band to be interested in and actually be proud of the sound they deliver, because a lot of stuff is so much the same. I think this album is worth a listen, and I think I would probably get another one if it were lost, even though they haven't been my fav band forever or anything. The songs themselves have are not that long, ranging from a minute to 3 minutes, the longest songs being Beyond Treachery (5:04) and the last song prologue at over 7 minutes. They remind me of Dead to Fall in a way. At any rate, a good band to check out and if you wanna hear their work in full, get this album, as I'm sure it exceeds their last one and if you like what you hear, it will be worth it. // 10

The Design Reviewed by: Infamou$17, on august 27, 2007

Sound: Musicianship in metalcore has hit an all-time low, what with most bands nowadays focused on brutalizing the riffs as much as possible and exploiting their breakdowns as though it's the only way to keep them alive. If you feel that way, but you love the genre and want something fresh, look no further than this gem. These guys are almost too good at song compositions and playing their instruments of choice, it goes beyond metalcore and delves into quite a few different influences, even jazz ("Dead Before I Stray"). They also use sampling to great effect ("Empty Shell"). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well-written, I believe they reference ancient Greek warfare. There is a false conjugate in "Empty Shell" that was one of the highlights of when I first heard the album, it sounds as though Earl screams "Watch Me Die!" and then cuts to a sample of somebody shooting a machine gun on a battlefield, however they are not the real lyrics. Still pretty cool, though. Earl can do the highs and lows and make it sound slightly different from the rest of the pack. // 9

Overall Impression: I want to give this a 9.5 but I can't. At first it really does just seem like all that is going on is chaos and nothing more, keep listening to it and then you notice all the details. Once again, their musicianship is profound, and their live show really is something else. I'm most impressed with "Dead Before I Stray," "None Shall Pass," and "Empty Shell." If somebody stole the album from me I would absolutely destroy them, then buy it again. So get this album, but keep in mind that it's just 9 tracks long and clocks in around 32 minutes. And if you can dig it, keep an eye peeled for "The Campaign," whenever it comes out. // 9

Comments