Valley Of Smoke review by Intronaut

• Released: Oct 12, 2010
Intronaut: Valley Of Smoke

After what I'm sure has been a long wait for Intronaut fans, their third full length album, Valley of Smoke, finally released on October 12th, 2010 in America. It was clear from the start that Intronaut were planning to go in a new direction with this record, and this is very evident in every aspect of the album from vocals and instrumentation, to the production itself. The band have managed to keep their (maybe a little less unique these days...) style of contrasting heavy and mellow passages, but this time, the riffs are sludgier, the bass is jazzier and most noticeably, the vocals are much less harsh.

With vocalist Sacha Dunable resorting to harmonized singing a lot more than growling on this record, we see a new side to his vocal style, which I feel suits the band's musical approach really well, at times even better than harsh vocals would have. I don't have much to say about the lyrics, besides that they go well enough with the flow of the album.

My picks from the album would have to be "Elegy", due to its sheer brutality as an opening track and it's ability to define the musical setting of the album perfectly; "Miasma", possibly the heaviest track on the album and for being pretty much exactly what you would expect to hear from Intronaut; "Core Relations", as the mellowest song on the album, perfectly displaying the band's ability to cater to its vast stoner audience, and "Below" for being another perfect example of Intronaut's current sound. However, my absolute favourite (and most listened to) song on this album would have to be the self titled instrumental, "Valley of Smoke", a sheer display of power and skill by the absolutely incredible rhythm section of the band comprising of bassist Joe Lester and percussionist Danny Walker, and some truly awe-inspiring sludge riffage by the guitarists. For me, the high point of this album would have to be the break at about 3:20 on "Valley of Smoke". A dreamy, torpor inducing wave of music, complete with tabla and fretless bass. Another noteworthy point, this particular song also makes use of two separate drum and bass tracks. Overall, I give this album a perfect 10. It's true, there are some moments that seem a little pointless or meandering, but they serve to make the rest of the album all the more enjoyable. If my copy of the album was for some reason stolen, I would first find out who did it, forcefully retrieve my copy and then go buy a new one as well. - Rasik

EpiExplorer
    Its the wierdest combination I've ever heard o.0 Mnemic/Meshuggah crossed with Opeth and Akercocke.. And is that F tuning on the 6 strings? Madness. But good madness. Songs with two basses and drum sets..
    takeabow444
    Andragon wrote: Finally! Intronaut AND TesseracT on the main page?!
    Dude +100000 I NEVER see good reviews on here these two bands are the reason why I listen to modern metal pretty much.
    hildesaw
    I don't really see the Opethness. Mastodon/Baroness for sure. The bass is so tasty throughout though, I love it! I'd give it a 9.5.
    unet
    Buy the CD, support the band, vote for the review! =)
    LightxGrenade
    Today has been a good day for discovering bands. Just heard the stuff on their myspace and I'm really interested, loving the prog vibe and the bass in this band.
    98Timberwolf
    B# appears in the C# major scale since two consecutive notes in a sclae cannot have the same letter name. C# major scale: C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C# But yeah, B# and C produce the same pitch.
    ShaDoW0lf
    Eigels wrote: illuminatiano wrote: this album is not a perfect ten... I'd give it an excellent 9 though. Also, to the guy above me, they tune to b#, not f. I also don't see the opeth/akercocke/meshuggah comparisons but whatever. Intronaut are the shit. B#? Lolwut
    Exactly: please do some theory. there is no C# (or apparently there's some technical thing where it "could" be considered it's own note or something, fact being pressing a B# on a keyboard? it's a C.)
    v2a2n2g2
    Love it! Intronaut is one of the best in the NeurIsis camp I've heard in a while.
    illuminatiano
    unet
    I though Isis was in Drop B ? I'm fairly sure they are in Panopticon at least...
    Eigels
    B# does not exist, so by B# you mean C? And C is 2 steps down
    ToolCreedence
    Thought this worthy of mention. JUSTIN CHANCELLOR plays bass on the title track. 2 bassists and 2 drummers. Badass.
    illuminatiano
    What in the hell, this sounds absolutely nothing alike to Opeth. Also yes, bsharp(2 and a half steps down) standard is the tuning they tune to, just like ISIS for example.
    Disturbdkornkid
    I listened to this a few days ago and was quite impressed, very good stuff. And Epi hit the nail on the head, the first thing I thought of while listening to this was Opeth.
    xicetraex
    First song, I heard an Opeth-esque riff, so I concur with EpiExplorers statement.
    progbass
    C? And no album is a perfect 10, especially when you even say right before that some parts seem pointless and meander a bit too much.
    Eigels
    B#? Lolwut
    KoGg3
    I can not see any resemblance to Opeth in the song "Elegy." Sure there is a clean little riff but that isn't particularly kerfeltd-style.