Valley Of Smoke review by Intronaut

• Released: Oct 12, 2010
Intronaut: Valley Of Smoke

Man I came across this band on youtube, and I'm sure glad I did. Diving straight into their opening track Elegy, the album opens up with a crunching open string face punching explosion with some intricate drum roll bass thing, which pretty much sets the mood for the whole album on being you will have no idea whats going on the whole time. The start of the vocals takes place over a sludgy low tempo crunch riff again, with a deep growl infused war cry the vocals match perfectly. In me saying that you will have no idea what is going on is for the fact that every song is complimented with clean chord progressions and jazzy breakdowns and here and there a side order of clean vocal yells. You will have no idea what hit you when your body is twisting, and your head is banging,= to epic riffage, and then you suddenly find your self smiling and drifting off into the beautiful array of instrument harmony. heavy and mesmerizing a 10 for sure.

Now for the lyrics I'm not sure what to do here I personaly have only skimmed through the lyrics and am aware that it is a concept album, about Los angeles. In that fact, what I was able to pick up is intriguing to me. Not blatently suggesting anything the lyrics hold a deep meaning in carefully sought after words, poetic. As for the vocals you read already what I had to say the vocals both clean and growled match the musical setting perfectly not taking anything from the instruments yet accenting it beautifully.

My overall impression was in awe how I haven't heard it sooner, great album, great band. As for the songs I think they are all very well crafted and stand hand in hand together, making this an even better album. BUT! The seventh song of the album and title track "valley of smoke" is the black sheep of the album. And all out instrumental of just random drum grooves and guitar foolishness, played with 2 drum kits and 2 bassists it makes for a very interesting and enjoyable ride. Hope you enjoy it as I do. First review. Cheers

Dexter_prog
    Tuning on Elegy is drop F# on a 7-string guitar, that is to day, everything 1 tone down, and the 7th is 2 tones down.
    RiffYourFaceOff
    Great album. I keep meaning to buy this, but no store anywhere near me has it, or any albums remotely outside the mainstream for that matter. Off to Amazon then.
    To the Max!
    As taken from a guitar tab they released themselves, they tune their guitars as follows: C#, G#, E, B, F#, B It's basically a C# standard tuning, like Between the Buried and Me uses, for example, with the low C# dropped down to a B.