Minus The Herd review by Ion Dissonance

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Ion Dissonance: Minus The Herd

First review on Ultimate-guitar. Yay. I've come to offer a bit more musical insight then a perfect 10 because I like a band or a 1 because I hate them... So here we go. This is my first Ion Dissonance Album. Overall the album is inlayed with many time signatures, 4 beat guitar chugs, no solos, hardcore screaming, and more 4 beat guitar chugs. If your a hardcore mathmetal fan you'd probably enjoy the album. My first criticism toward the album is that I felt a massive overuse of the incredibly low 7 string guitar chug. At some parts it's pretty cool, but after listening through the album it gets pretty repetitive. Honestly I find the whole middle half of the album quite boring. A friend of mine criticized the lack of melody on the album, but personally that's what impressed me the most. The band got together and clearly avoided any musical resolve on purpose. If you like melodic metal, avoid this band. Notable tracks: The Surge, Scorn Haven, Void of Conscience, and Tarnished Trepidation.

Lyrics consist of your normal hardcore/metal stuff. Most of the songs are introspective, philosophic thoughts, often from a serial killer perspective. Vocabulary of the songs is not lacking though. Throughout the album holds a common theme I it's lyrics which help unifies the album. This, along with the similarity of the songs tracks, creates a decent album. There is a definite goal throughout the album, which I appreciate; this is opposed to some bands that just list up an album full of unrelated singles, which I find quite inartistic. Singer does a good job. He often moves in and out of speaking and screaming the lyrics. I find it quite interested and I enjoy it. It adds to the diversity of the album. Of course death metal fans might not find his voice aesthetically pleasing, but to my ear the diversity proves a positive addition to the album.

I don't own any other albums from this band, but from what I hear from others they toned down their "chaos" from their last albums. Originally The album really didn't impress me. I thought it was boring and only had one or two good tracks. For some reason though, I found myself continually popping it into the CD player and listening to all 30 or so odd minutes of the album. I guess over time the album grew on me as a whole. I would recommend buying this, or at least downloading the recommended tracks, if you enjoy Devil Wears Prada, Suicide Silence, WhiteChapel, and those like; but as a note, I'm not a fan of those bands, and I do enjoy this album.