A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Again we have Iron Maiden back with another awesome record, but instead of the usual heavy riffs, and immense use of power chords, they've taken a different approach this time round. Taking the approach of recording the album live in the studio, they've came up with a totally new sound for the band. Unlike the last album, Dance of Death, the guitars are in harmony, with a much greater melodic tone to the song. Altho the drums haven't changed still producing a great a sound as ever, Bruces voice seems to suit this album jsut right, where insted of his voice having to suit the music, which didn't work as well, the music suits his voice. The melodies produced are simply amazing, and the solos are just excellent where the 3 guitars just seem in such perfect harmony.

As typical as iron maiden go, the titles of the songs usually refer to films of war, or other event to do with that sort of thing. The album title itself "A Matter Of Life And Death" is a movie based on wartime aviation mixed in with heaven, so the lyrics thenselves are vividly connected not only with war, but with religion and heaven and hell, relating the battles between good and evil, and bringing them into contrast with modern day war. "For The Greather Good Of God" I find is a very emotive song, not only lyrically, but musically too. It seems to infer the struggle of humanity in the modern day world which is so corrupted and consumed by war and power.

This album in itself is just totally unique to anything that Maiden have done beofore. It is one of there best albums yet and is a musical masterpiece! Anyone who merely likes listening to Iron Maiden should go out and buy this album right now! In the album, my favorite songs would be "Brighter Than A Thousnd Suns" with its 2 amazing solos, it again is just so lyrically sound, with so mmany hidden metaphors, but mainlyu relates to the atomic bomb, how it was described as "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" also that the face of human existance changed with the thought they could bring about their own demise. Agin that's what the whole album is based around, and is litterally refering to the title, "A Matter Of Life And Death". There is absolutely nothing in this album that I hate or dislike, it is one of the best albums I have ever listened to in my life, and will be hard for any band to beat for a long time.