A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Iron Maiden is back, with more as kicking music. It's the usual Maiden style, long songs with meaning and great riffs. The solos are fast, but without removing the soul from them, as all songwriters know, that is a feat. The chord progression is perfect, with rythms that really add to the feeling of the song. Perfect.

Maidens lyrics has always been top notch, as the manager expressed it: "This is Iron Maiden - it's raw, unkempt and yet sophisticated. It's hard with a gentle soul." This qoute fits perfectly with how I experienced it. You understand what the song is about, but Bruce rarely says it straight out. The best example of this is "the Longest Day", a song about the horrors of D-day, but it is never said that it is about D-day, You just know. And Bruce. Some say that he wasn't their best singer, but he is, he really is. All else fade in comparison.

This is a great album, but will probably never be mentioned along with the classics, simply because it's not really that good. I mean, I love it, and both the lyrics and the music is perfect, but there is sonething missing, something I can't put my finger on, but something that's not there, but was on the earlier albums. Many songs, especially "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg" would fit perfectly on earlier albums, but a 9 will have to do.