A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

In recent interviews with the band. They ahve told us that this album is the best they've ever recorded. The last two albums Brave New World and Dance Of Death were just build ups to this amazing album they are to released. I am a huge Maiden fan and they're huge sound, amazing vocals and cool guitar work is what makes them, to me, the best band on the planet at the moment and they have been for the past 20-25 years. The album was recorded really quickly. Something like 14 days? Maiden ahve always had tight schedules with album writing/recording. They have for a while now, this allows the band to do optimum touring and then write a album and then start again. Over the years Iron Maiden's sound hasn't really changed, this is because it's their unique own sound, this means I can't really see which bands have influenced this album, but it has that Brave New World/Wickerman sound to it, and in some ways it reminds me of Guns 'n Roses with the soloing behind the lyrics and so fourth. They is some really cool Harmony sounds and Dave Murray/Janick Gers/Adrian Smith still have them distinct sounds in their soloing. Steve bass riffing is still pretty class. Got a cool Bass intro on For The Greater Good Of God. There is a lot of clean riffs on here which reminds me of Brave New World. There is also some acoustic action in Out Of The Shadows which is pretty cool, gives it that kinda latin feel. Bruce still sounds amazing, just like on the last two Studio albums. The drums are clear and seems to be all in time. Even if there is something small miss timings. This album was recorded live so it is expected.

The lyrics are typical Maiden about War, Death and Myths etc. This may seem pretty Cliche but they are very strong and quite catchy. Some of the rhymes seem a bit forced but it's not really a bad thing as they work. I think if you are fond of they're lyrics from past albums you'll be pleased with the overall lyrics on this album.

It is definately a very strong album and could be in their top 3, really goods sound and if you are a guitarist, you'll be really happy with some of the riffs you may be able to learn off this to impress your mates with. 01. different World - a song I already had before I got the album. Very catchy and melodic, cool chorus with a decent harmony riff and a sweet Adrian Smith solo which is also very melodic. Great opener. 02. These Colours Don't Run - Age Of Innocence style intro, James Bond-ish feel and cool guitar riff similar to 'Reincarnation...'. Some good vocals from Bruce and a 'Wickerman' style chorus. Great instrumental with synths and some pretty cool guitar solos. 03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - one of the biggets songs on the album. Awesome song one of the best here and most anticipated. Awesome vocals. Great and Weird soloing (different sounds), harmony riffs. Huge sound. Probably the heaviest song on the album with lots of cool time changes. 04. The Pilgrim - awesome intro, reminded me of The Clansman. Really cool Chorus with the backing vocals from Bruce over the lead vocals of Bruce. It's been done in past songs, Very cool sound. The Instrumental has an Egyptian feel to it and the solo is good but shorter then others. One of the best on the record if not the best. 05. The Longest Day - not one of the strongest on the album but has a cool chorus which is pretty catchy. Seems to be about war on the beaches. D-day Maybe? Some heavy riffing which sounds very Maiden. Cool Soloing. Good song but there is better on here 06. Out Of The Shadows - this song has very Guns 'N Roses sound to it, the vocals and the guitaring. It has some acoustic guitar in it in various places which gives it a spanish/latin feel I think. Good solo and overall a decent song. 07. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - probably the song everyone has already heard. A Strong song and a worthy single. Good riffing, again very heavy. It has a cool harmony riff before the solo and the solo is classic Dave Murray. Catchy chorus, great Song. 08. For The Greater Good Of God - has a bass intro that reminds me of Blood on the Worlds Hand from X Factor. The vocals in this strong are very strong and there is some more great guitar riffing in this. Sounds like a song that could of been on BNW. Got some cool solos on it. Pretty strong track. This is the longest track on the album clocking in at 9.24. One of the epics from the album. 09. Lord Of Light - Reincanation-style intro with the clean guitar and vocals. Gets better when it speeds up. Some cool soloing and riffing. I feel one of weaker tracks on the album. 10. The Legacy - starts of with acoustic guitars, then comes in with some catchy vocals almost sounds like a song from old england from the 1800's. Breaks in heavier with some distorted guitars and synths and we're off. Bruces vocals are definately strongest on this album. Some sweet harmony riffs and then a single guitar riff which is very almost shred like which then breaks into harmony and then into a cool solo from Janick Gers and then back to the harmony riffing before going into yet another harmony riff which is 3 way. Ends with more vocals and back to a short acoustic passage which ends the album with an arpeggiated D5. I love the soloing and Harmony Riffs. Only thing this album lacks is the old Maiden with the 2/3 solo's per song. If it was stolen or lost I would buy it again.