A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

You must have heard of Iron Maiden's new album, A Matter Of Life And Death. The wait for the album release was worth it. After Christmas, the songs were done and they started rehearsing at Sarm West Studios in London. The album will not be a concept album. According to the official Iron Maiden website, the album will be available as a normal CD and as a limited edition version which contains a bonus DVD. The DVD contains nearly an hour of documentary footage plus videos and photos all shot whilst the band were making the album. studio. The bonus DVD also features the full 7:21 minute video promo for "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg", and a special intimate filming of the band recording "Different World" in the studio.

This will be Iron Maiden's fourth studio album that is not named after a specific song on the album. Other similar albums are Piece of Mind, The X Factor and Virtual XI. This will be their third studio album where bassist and founder Steve Harris has been credited in writing all of the songs, the previous two being Killers and Brave New World.The second track on the album, "These Colours Don't Run" is about being a soldier in the war zone. According to lead singer Bruce Dickinson in an interview with Kerrang! magazine; "The song was an effort to put a human face on people who go out and fight wars. They call it 'peacekeeping', but these people put themselves in harm's way, and whether or not you agree with the reasons why they're doing it, they're just doing their job." "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" is about the atomic bomb as Dickinson said in an interview with Kerrang!: "The scientist that saw the first bomb go off said it was brighter than a thousand suns. The idea that human beings could bring about their own total destruction totally changed the way people thought". It also is said to be one of Iron Maiden's heaviest tracks to date. The lyrics and music go together in perfect harmony.

This 72 minute album is most likely the most progressive approach they have taken since the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album. It is set to be not only the longest Iron Maiden album but it's average song length (7:20 per track) will make it the longest Iron Maiden album by song average. It will also be one of the longest heavy metal albums with global release, and it's extreme average song length will exceed even Metallica's most recent studio album, St. Anger, widely viewed as excessive in length. "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg", "These Colours Don't Run" and "The Legacy" are truly amazing songs and stand out. The album includes Maiden's usuals strong riffs and goes together great with strong, passionate lyrics. Truly an album to own!

prot
    just picked 'er up... quite amazing... and cheap too, they didn't have the limited edition at the record store, but the regular was only 11.99 Canadian, which is sweet for a 72 minute album. the rookies should take a lesson from the masters on how to release an actual good album like only Maiden can. \m/UP THE IRONS!!\m/
    monkey of doom
    Brilliant album. Don't really like 'The pilgrim' but the rest of the album is stunning. Brighter than a thousand suns has been stuck in my head for some time now.
    Donkey Fly
    Gotta admit when i first got it...i still thought SSOASS was better but now i've listened to it...i love it....awesome
    marc137
    LarsHamfield wrote: Also to add onto wat i sed earlier there was nothing instantly Catchy about the Album there werent songs on it that theyll b remembered for Likre Powerslave and the Trooper lets look at it As Maidens Saint Anger we all agreed its not Great But its not terrible
    comparing this briliant album to saint anger is ridiculous
    LarsHamfield
    Triviumfan54
    Is it me or do Maiden just get better and better? Absolutely awesome stuff from THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD! UP THE IRONS!!
    Music=Freedom
    LarsHamfield wrote: Im gonna b honest i listened through the whole thing a few Times and it really isnt up to par with previous Maiden im a big fan but i think they could of done better
    ye i agree there. it's weird, i was hoping for something really spectacular but this seems to have something missing. Dance Of Death had a sparkle that was just amazing, as did Brave New World. With both of these albums there were tracks that were instantly likeable. With A Matter of... there was nothing that had a hook, that made we want to keep on listening. This isn't a bad thing and is only a minor complaint i have. I had to put the time in to appreciate the album but once i did, it is still a really great album.
    AloneInMyPlace
    schecter1971 wrote: Bruce Dickinson's voice isn't that good. Not that much high pitched singing.
    Bruce sings a High B, and C in Different World. (7th and 8th frets of your high E string)
    LarsHamfield
    suhp1987
    i'm sorry but i'd give an 8.5. the albums seeem to get less upbeat. war theme reminds me of iraqi war and stuff which stains my imagination. sorry lads, but it's just my opinion.
    ChicagoMetal
    its ok... old maiden is way better and this is definitely not the best cd out in '06. its just too bland, the solos are nothing special, there arent those great maiden leads like you get in The Trooper, Aces High, Phantom of the Opera, Hallowed be thy name etc. overall, album is not doin it for me. however, maiden still rules. they made plenty of good albums to pick up the slack on this one. UP THE IRONS!
    bagidol
    ac/dc*@ce666 wrote: i know i sound stupid, but has it come out in the US?
    yup it has!
    bassgod
    I LOVE THIS ALBUM, but i agree it is kinda missing something. It is different than anything they have ever done and i think its AWSOME!!!!!
    METSOAD
    i agree, maiden have finally stated to deo what they have threatened to do since somewhere in time, they have started to join the likes of dream theater and symphony x in the world of prog metal
    KileManA7X
    There are some good songs on here but I would say half of the sounds are weak. Some of it just dosn't sound good. I still think Stadium Arcadium is the best album of the year.
    catchtherainbow
    Everybody loves Maiden...i believe in the band to bring great music...they never fail...i'm gonna get the album tmr!
    alexi_laiho
    i agree, except it is better than ALL cds that have been put out this year
    thefoldarsoldar
    I've had it since Saturday!!! Props to target for screwing up! Muahahaha! yeah, in the first review it says it wont be among the classics and I feel the same - you just can't make albums like those greats in the 80s and that goes for most music today, not just iron maiden. Still a very strong album though.
    Splitvision
    I got it 29/9! hehe. They seem to have released it earlier here in Sweden. I can just agree with all of you, a great album! I'm most impressed by "the legacy", because it's really original, both generally and comparing it to maiden's usual sound. Some really sick chords in that song, specially in the acoustic parts. "brighter than a thousand suns" also owns, great lyrics! And so do most of the other songs. The only complaint I have is on the song "out of the shadows". Most of the song is good, but towards the end of the song, they have a part where they play the intro chord with some distortion along with an acoustic guitar that plays the same, it's possible they play that part on an electric acoustic guitar. Anyway, this particular sound along with the drumming really gives me a horrible feeling of a pop-song, almost shakira like IMO. I could really imagine her or anyone like her singing something. And that's all. The rest is amazing on the album.
    Splitvision
    yeah i forgot to tell you I'm gonne see them in sweden 20/11! I really hope they play all the songs live. "The Legacy" would be incredibly cool live and the other too.
    geetarguy92
    one of the bests albums put out by maiden in my opinion gives music today the kick up the backside it needs
    rollingstones
    ya its come out int he us it is actually out 2day. This is an amazing album and i think it is one of their best
    anfroey
    Yeah, I got this over a week ago, guess the Norwegian retailers ignore the release dates.. Anyway, the album's great, and I think it's one of the best Maiden albums since the early work. Really looking forward to the concert 23. Nov!
    Dr. Metal Head
    wrathchild1975
    i cant wait to listen to it they are the most best band ever in fact they are my most favorite band ever and eddie rocks
    alexi_laiho
    this album rocks! its like a mix between dance of death, brave new world, and add prog!
    Shimekiri
    I loved, love, will keep loving this album its awsome! Its a Maiden fan album not intended for new commers!
    Twist of Cain
    alexi_laiho wrote: Dr. Metal Head wrote: I just got it today; I listened through it a few times and really love it. This is one of Iron Maiden's best CDs, it's much better than most CDs put out in this day and age. I'm glad there are still bands who know how to make good music and not sell out, no matter what. i agree, except it is better than ALL cds that have been put out this year
    yea i agree with the both of you, these guys always do it right when it comes to writing some great music