A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Hear we have Iron Maidens first album since 2003s Dance Of Death. I wasn't really sure if this album would top the last 2 albums that Maiden released which were BNW and DOD. I thought maybe this would be the start of the end for Iron Maiden but after listening to "A Matter Of Life And Death" I was completely convinced that they are now where near being washed up. They are in fact leading the metal charge around the world. After the 1990's metal is starting to come back on strong and Maiden are one of the main reasons for this. The sound on the new album is Iron Maiden. What else do I need to say. The songs are more riffy then any other Maiden album and the solos are short compared to other maiden albums but still just as good as on other Maiden albums.

The lyrics are very well thought out on this album. You can't listen to one of the 10 songs on "A Matter Of Life And Death" without your mind wondering and creating images in your head of vast war torn battlefeilds etc. Bruce is at his best yet I think on this album. His voice is always changing during a song, often during a single sentence his tone and pitch will change quite alot. Nicko is my pic as best performer on this album becuase quite simply he makes this album sound different to all other maiden albums. The only other song I have heard where his drummimg matches this album is BNWs "Out Of The Silent Planet".

Overall I rate it right up there with their best albums. You cant really compare it to "piece of mind" or "seventh son" because they are differnt eras. But if you put if up against BNW and DOD it is the best out of the 3. If you took the best songs off BNW and DOD and put them on one cd it would still come second to "A matter of life and death". My favourite songs are Longest Day (makes me think of the opening scene from "Saving private Ryan." Epic song), Out Of The Shadows (sounds similar to "Tears Of The Dragon" a slower paced song with Bruce's vocals being very relaxed and smooth. Has great rhythm and the solos are very nice), For The Greater Good Of God (the sign of the cross part 2? It reminds me of that song a lot. I think it's about Gorge W. Bush jr. with lyrics like "Are you a man of peace or man of holywar, a wolf in sheeps clothing a saint or sinner? A son that would believe, a holywar winner." The best song on this album. Will be great live).

louwen
    RHCP are nothing compared to Iron Maiden, and a 29 track album is quite frakly shite.
    Stadium Arcadium is an awesome album, don't diss it. But seriously, you can't compare these two bands, they are different types of music. I am a fan of Chili Peppers and of Iron Maiden but you have to listen to them differently if you know what I mean
    got_trivium?
    BlackDevil wrote: anyone who says this album sucks, i have one question, what drug are you on? this album owns its one of the best maiden albums! UP THE IRONS
    this is nowhere near the best albuum they've made. this must be the first cd you have listened to then. everything about this cd is a step down for them. the vocals, lyrics, guitar, bass, drums, it is all horrible. actually listen to the album with a non-biased out look and you will see, this is one of the worst maiden albums.
    nostiQ
    I had high expectations for this album. But I did not raise my expectations so high as to expect that they would release another Number of the Beast. Let's face it, that's a one of a kind record, and that's the reason why it is a classic. Number of the Beast is one of my all time favorite albums. A Matter of Life and Death is an incredible album in it's own right. (About 8 epics for God's sake!) While this album is not as good as Number of the Beast, or Powerslave, it still beats the shit out of most things that is released in this day and age. And given the fact that Maiden's been around for 25+ years, that's a huge accomplishment. Appreciate this album, even tho it is not the best MAIDEN release, it will probably be one of the better this year.
    BRandGraffin
    The only other Maiden cd i own is the greatest hits one, but this cd is inpiring me to purchase more. The main reason i bought this cd was because one of my new favorite bands is greatly inspired by Maiden...Protest the Hero. I can see the connection, although this cd seems a lot "slower" so to say, but for some reason it just keeps playing. i guess its bruce.
    MaidenIron
    I love "THE LEGACY", "brighter than thousand suns", "For the greater good of god", and "The piligrim". Or maybe I should say all of them..... Awesome album..keep rocking iron maiden. you ppl rock. BTW, I am gonna watch them in Rutherford, NJ on October 13th...I hope they play legacy..
    regelsnetual
    I'm a long time Maiden fan, and I think album is very mature. Nicko really stands out. Nice job! Everyone sounds great though, and it's growing on me every time I play it, which is often! Up the Irons!
    regelsnetual
    I agree with pwrslave, I saw them in columbus ohio, about 3 yrs ago, and bruce's voice was stronger than it was on Somewhere in time tour, 1986. And that's freakin amazing.