A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Iron Maiden are one of the few bands that have a unique sound. No one will ever sound like them. They're unique sound is captured best on Dance of Death but this album has a gem. The band say the album is about religion and war. And Steve Harris' chief participation in composing on the album give it a kick that make this album kick ass the musical interlude after the chorus on The Pilgrim is very arabic, aiding the effect of this song (which is about Jesus, I love that guy). The Legacy is the most contrasted song ever written, love it. The twin solo in Longest Day is friggin amazing and inspiring.

As usual Bruce's lyrics are unparalled (with Rob Halford following close behind). This guy is amazing. Dave isn't telling anyone, even band members who the hell Benjamin Breeg is. Nicko said in a drum interview that he thinks Breeg is an old enemy or friend of Eddies (this could go somewhere). Longest Day is about day and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is about some dudes playing God Making The Abomb. Steve says we all have to deal with religion and we're all affected by it, depending on what you belive, so he wrote For The Greater Good of God, a highlight anthem. The Lyrics fit brilliantly with the themes of the album.

A Matter of Life and Death is my favourite Iron Maiden album, probably because being a baptist, I feel comfortable listening to it, its sound is amazing. And don't forget Nicko's snare drum! As usual the dominance of stratocasters is prominant. But this album is truly a gem in anyone's collection. Feel pity for me guys, because I'm South African I will probably never see Iron Maiden.

M.B.MetalTabber
    Has no-one else noticed that this is THE ONLY iron maiden album not to feature Eddie on the front cover, where the f**k is he anyway? Is he inside the album, or have they dumped the poor guy?
    IronMaiden8991
    Just bought the album today, I'm listenin 2 it right now and it's sick! BUY IT NOW! Up The Irons!
    Peace Sells
    This album is great it should be 10 not 9. For the greater good of god is the best song in my opinion. Up the Irons
    OttovanZanten
    Great album, first i downloaded it to see what it was like, didnt like it in the beginning very much, but as longer as i listen, as more i love this album, so i bought it today. Just can't stop listening, totally different from their old stuff. I would have like some nice bassriffs tho like in transylvania, iron maiden and number of the beast for instance. (Yea im a bass player and a huge harris fan )
    jfsj123
    great riffs. THIS EPIC!!!!! great album iron maiden dont get the proper respect they deserve
    Gregoric
    This album is really great in it's own right, it is a different kind of sound for maiden in a way, songs feel slower and heavier but everything I love about Maiden is still intact on this album and it's really great. I think comparing this allbum to maiden classics like number of the beast and powerslave or whatever stops people from appreciating how good the album is, I don't think Maiden could make another number of the beast because it's a classic. Still this album was great, it's nice to see that maiden are still maiden. Great stuff