A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Classic maiden, as soon as Nicko Mcbrain (drummer) shouts out to the rest of the band and the main riff kicks in you know it's iron maiden, you can remember the classic sound from their first album 'Iron Maiden' but theirs something else there too. Something that can only be gained from over 30 years of playing as a unit. It kicks straight into the action with 'Different Worlds' which is an upbeat song which will be as remorable as the galloping riff of 'The Trooper'. Moving further through the album you hear more amazing tracks like 'These colours don't run' and 'Brighter then a thousand suns'. Then you get to track 7; 'The reincarnation of benjamin breeg' Maidens flagship for 'A matter of life and death' The intro comes with a slightly distorted lead guitar, with clean chords coming over the top every few beats. Into the first verse with both guitars playing clean and the legendary Bruce Dickinson coming in with that unique vocal sound. The tempo slows right down the pick plucks the last note a pause of silence, distortion pedals on and slide right down the fret board, they kick into one of the best maiden riffs ever and Dickinson domanates with his amazing control over every note that comes from his voice, a short harmony and in with the solo. The the final song on the album, 'The legacy', it was the only song they could have used as their finale, the eerie sond of the guitar comes in and shortly after the vocals, and like all iron maiden songs the tempo hits overdrive and their you are, one hell of an album!

The smart mans grasp on life, take it as it comes and see what you can do with it. It's easy to listen to the song and hear the words, but not really go into them, but when you do take that extra bit of care listening then a whole new world opens up to you, and you can understand what the song is about and get a full graps on what they were trying to put across. In my oppinion the best lyrics award is claimed by 'The longest day', the most obvious song about war on the album, telling the story of an individual soldier taking part in the first wave on one of the five beach landings on the 6th of june 1944 - D Day. To get the full effect of these lyrics you have to listen to them being sung in the song, because when they are all together they really meen something, but the chorus comes with some of the most special lyrics iron maiden have ever produced, they are full of emotion when sung and you find yourself in the middle of the fight yourself because that's how good the lyrics are "Sliding we go, only fear on our side/To the edge of the wire, /and we rush with the tide/Oh the water is red, /with the blood of the dead/But I'm still alive, pray to God I survive." But once again you only get the full effect when you listen to it in the song. The vocalsit of Iron Maiden since the '80s has been Bruce Dicksnson, with his amazingly powerfull voice, he is even able to keep control of this voice while running around an Arena Stage all night, and he sounds the same if not better then on their studio albums.

Because of the long and ilustrious carrer of iron maiden, they can't really be compared to other bands, it is other bands that have to be compared to them. They are as good as ever, if not better, some people would probably say that this is the best album they have released, and why not? It has entered the charts in so many country's since its release in August. Although ever song is amazing in my oppinion, the obvious choices that stand out would be 'Different world', 'The longest day', 'The reincarnation of benjamin breeg', 'For the greater good of god' and 'The legacy'. And yes, if it was stolen I would deffinatly buy it again.

Simsimius
    Bruce's vocals are 110% better sounding live. On the album they don't sound good, but live (July 2007), he can sing all maiden songs as if it was 20 years ago.
    (...)
    M.B.MetalTabber wrote: Has no-one else noticed that this is THE ONLY iron maiden album not to feature Eddie on the front cover, where the f**k is he anyway? Is he inside the album, or have they dumped the poor guy?
    Dude he's on the tank.
    Smitty370
    I'm not big on the vocals in this album. Dio or Martin would sound more appropriate or have Bruce's sound back like in Seventh Son. But everything else sound f**kin' awsome.
    jfsj123
    maiden are amazing especially for how long theyve bee. I like all the songs ive heard by them. This albums kicks ass!
    Izdigger
    Saw them last year in Oslo and I'm gonna see them again, but this and Dance of Death really dissapointed me. The sound of the instruments is totally rubbish, and it sounds like a very dulled-down Maiden compared to the earlier albums. No "fire" to either guitars nor bass, but the vocals were pretty good. Also, the fact that all songs are 5-10 minutes long really bugs me, 'cause in the end, it all sounds so similiar. Sorry people, I really can't stand this record.
    cbillinghurst
    They range from 49-53
    cbillinghurst
    cbillinghurst wrote: corrda00 wrote: How the hell do these guys keep it up? what are they like 60 now? They range from 49-53
    But yeah i agree