A Matter Of Life And Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Iron Maiden: A Matter Of Life And Death

Well, reading over these reviews. I feel I'm in a very small group of people who absolutely loathed A Matter of Life or Death. I waited with high hopes, thinking, Yes, finally, some new Maiden. And then the goddamn album was released. I took one listen and refused to listen to it again. About a year later, I had another listen, just to do this review and nothing has improved. First off, I have no problem with long songs. I am a massive Dream Theater fan; I love long songs IF they need to be long. None of these songs need to be over about 4 minutes.maybe 5 They just don't. They have 3 or 4 riffs in them, and then it's all repeated 7 thousand times. I just don't get it. How can such a mighty band have fallen so far? The first thing that comes to mind is how they actually managed to make Dance Of Death work. Sure the songs were long, sure they had a fair few slower sections, but the songs were catchy, and the fire was still there. On this album, the fire is gone. It's an album full of We can't gallop anymore so we'll just march, single file over a cliff. As someone pointed out, they were never going to exceed the expectations set by Powerslave, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or Number of the Best, but they didn't have to. All they had to do was release another album full of decent songs, like they have with Dance of Death and Brave New World. Instead, we're treated to this plodding, behemoth of an album that would feel more at home as a 70's rock album, than a 00's metal album.

Bruce has once again proven his worth as a mighty vocalist though. He was never that dynamic (he's always LOUD), but his range was impressive. And still is to be honest. On this album he fits snuggly in like every other album. He doesn't seem to have the same fire he once did, but his enuciation was clear and precise. He's still "Bruce Dickinson", it's just a shame this isn't "Iron Maiden" to me. The lyrics are once again, classic Maiden. Mostly dealing with war subjects, but in a clever enough way.I've always liked Maiden's lyrics and I actually do like the lyrics on this album.

I can understand the complaint that they are indeed, getting on in years, but come on. If they can still do a two-hour set of songs like Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, The Trooper and Aces High, then surely they can write another album filled songs with a similar feel? They've managed to keep the same sound for so long, surely it could've held out for at least another album? Apparently not. Because everything on this album reeks of We can't do it anymore. Even the production is not as high-quality as everyone claims, but almost sounds like they deliberately wanted a return to 80's production, with no bottom end (even though the bass is annoyingly, the loudest instrument) and only the most basic of drum tones. I'm sorry, but as a devote Iron Maiden fan, I expect satisfaction, and I was not satisfied in any way by this album. In fact, I'm only giving this album a marginally more higher score than I did on Metal-Archives because I saw them live and I appreciate that they didn't play one song off this goddamn album.

JordanFlayer
    Peres.T.Peanut
    Just another maiden album...Ass kicking music, amazing vocals, more amazing guitars...only the best music written nowadays...but then again, its IRON MAIDEN what else could you expect? UP THE IRONS!!
    ilikeironmaiden
    This album cant be discribed by words, it is just an awesome pile of awesomness that has awesome juice pored into its awesome reciever. AAWWEEESSOOMMMMEEEE
    Smokinjoerules1
    Shimekiri wrote: I loved, love, will keep loving this album its awsome! Its a Maiden fan album not intended for new commers!
    gonna have to disagree ther, i was a 14 year old new commer wen this came out, my dad just sed to me, Iron Maiden have got a new album out, i was just like, oh.....cool (obvs not really bothered). Next day he came home with it and gave it to me, and i loved it!
    Smokinjoerules1
    I arnt a huge fan, but to me this is some of Maiden's best work! This is a great album, it's been years since i bought it, and i still listen to it! Fav songs are probs The reincarnation of benjamin breeg, the legacy and probs the pilgrim, but **** it, i love em all, except out of the shadows, that aint so great. Up the Irons!
    ippystratman
    BEST FUCKIN MAIDEN ALBUM EVER!!! in fact probably one of the best albums ever made. I absolutely love for the greater good of god but every song on the album is ****in awesome. Maiden are and always will be my favourite band but i think most of their early stuff didnt really show that they can be quite serious when they want to be. This album does that brilliantly 10 out of 10 \m/ up the irons \m/
    trivium036
    This album wasnt great imo. I got bored listening to it after the first 4 songs. Thats not to say the first 4 songs arent boring aswell. All the songs start the same and some of the lyrics arent great. Same with vocals. This album was a huge step down for maiden. I think some people are thinking more about who made the album without thinking of the music.
    hollowsoul666
    amazingz album has to be called one of their best iron maiden is my religion up the irons!!!!!
    Iron_Maiden8
    I love this album. how can some ****ing douche give it a 3 overall. thats bullshit. the guitar playing is phenominal and it has so much soul the vocals bass and drums are wonderfull as well. i could never get bored of this album
    BYZ
    Maiden + Priest are the metal gods!!! One of Maiden's best in my opinion
    SoftParade1967
    First Maiden album I ever heard surprisingly. (youd expect Number of the Beast or something) At first I loathed it. I hated Iron Maiden. Now 2 years later I've heard Number of the Beast, Powerslave and Piece of Mind and this album I absoultly love it! Great riffs, lyrics everythign about it is amazing. I look back and think how could I have hated this? The Legacy is definatly my favorite song. So epic.
    Haunted_Shell
    This cd is a 7.5/10 for me. Dance of Death was like 4/10. I like this album but it's not the greatest. My favourite songs being These colours don't run and the pilgrim
    stalefishtweak
    its true that this album isn't like the previous ones... but its still gr8, the pilgrim has a really great intro and benny breeg is a good song... but yeah i think its finally happening that maiden is losing its pace....sad sad i hope they never quit man they will be the greatest ever
    Magero
    JordanFlayer wrote: How can someone give it an overall 3? Granted, it was not Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son, but the album was still amazing. I've listened through the entire album probably 20 times and never bored of it. Every song is great on this album, and that is hard to do. The guitar playing was superb, as well was the bass playing, and the singing and drumming was spectacular. I love this album. It is a true Maiden album. and a true Maiden fan would love it.
    A true Maiden fan would be able to see the flaws in their beloved band you twat. I'm a huge Maiden fan, I've seen them live, I have two shirts, I have all of their albums. THIS ALBUM BLOWS. It is boring, it is uninspired and it is not epic, it is ****ing lame.
    DroogieSteve
    3 was quite generous I'd say considering how immensly bored I was by this album. I love Iron Maiden's earlier work and they were never great musicians but something about their fast little Minor shredding is very enjoyable. Now it seems that they've slowed down a bit and with even simpler riffs and it's been dubbed as "progressive." Boring and crap really, Bruce is still good but he can't redeem it alone
    cRACk mONKEyTTU
    I can't believe so many people gave this album a 10. A 10 means a PERFECT album and this album is nowhere near perfect. There are flashes of brilliance on it, but only flashes. They shouldve spent more time refining the songs and cleaning up the guitar work, specifically on For The Greater Good of God. That song was supposed to be one of the best on the album and IMO, is the worst song Maiden have made. Very sloppy solos. I like that they went progressive on this album but it isnt quite prog enough honestly. Too many annoying choruses (Longest Day) that ruin songs for me. Longest Day starts off AMAZING and then once it gets to the chorus it just falls apart. The best songs are BTATS, Lord of Light, ROBB, and The Legacy. The rest are mediocre.