A Real Live Dead One Review

9.5
 8.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
A Real Live Dead One Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2004

Sound: A Real Live/Dead One was originally released as seperate albums (A Real Dead One and A Real Live One) but are together here. They are both different to Maiden's previous live album Live After Death and the raw sound gives the music a good edge. A Real Dead One features the earlier songs whereas A Real Live One contains the more recent songs of the time. I think that Dead One sounds more raw than Live One because of the solos that Janick has had to do. He hasn't copied the solos that Adrian and Dave have done in the past note for note. The feel of the old solos still remains however. On Live One Janick is more familiar with the songs as quite a few are ones written since he joined the band and here he sounds better. The stand out tracks sound wise from the two records are Can I Play With Madness, 2 Minutes to Midnight, From Here To Eternity and Run To The Hills. The crowd feature a lot on the album too, more than Live After Death. Can feel like your at the show in some songs. 2 Minutes to Midnight excells here as does Running Free, Bring You Daughter...To the Slaughter and Fear of the Dark. // 10

Lyrics: It's Maiden so there isn't a lot that I can say to surprise you. Fantastic would be a good word to describe the singing. Bruce hits top form. The album was recorded over the whole tour of 92/93 and Bruce doesn't have one bad day. The lyrics are great in all the songs but I particularly like Tailgunner and the way Bruce does it. Bruce's vocals are unquestionable but not having Adrian's backing did make some bits seem a bit empty eg Sanctuary. // 10

Overall Impression: Well Iron Maiden are the best live heavy metal band in the world. Always have been really. This album certainly proves that. Most impressive songs are the ones where the crowd are really involved. Bruce has such an ability to hold an audience and we hear his ability to speak French after Can I Play With Madness. He does the whole set in French in French speaking countries. How many band can boast bi-lingual frontmen/women? I would definitely recommend buying this to any fan who is without it because it is a great live album. A couple of things I did not like when I got it was the absence of songs such as Wasted Years, Holy Smoke, Phantom of the Opera and Flight of Icarus. Can't have them all though I suppose. This album is definitely worth replacing if lost. I could do with replacing my copy actually because the sleeve is too fat for the case and get torn. Some great photos in that sleeve as well and they show how vastly popular Maiden are without the huge media attention other bands get. // 10

Comments