Dance Of Death review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 9, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Iron Maiden: Dance Of Death

This album does not really have a unique sound to it. It's just plain classic, almost-lame metal. But the one thing that is holding this band up is the skill of their instrumentalists. Iron Maiden have extremely good guitarists. The solos and some of the riffs on this album are incredible, but the bass is not. The bass lines are typical and a little boring, not showing the true skill and creativity of their bassist. Iron Maiden aren't very creative at all on this album, but the guitarists are astounding.

This is the big reason why I do not like this album. I cannot stand the lyrics. Here's a taste of what the big Maiden-heads are praising:

I'm gonna organise some changes in my life, I'm gonna exorcise the demons of my past
I'm gonna take the car and hit the open road, I'm feeling ready to just open up and go

I'm on my way, Out on my own again
I'm on my way, Out on the road again

Now before you start chanting "Maiden rocks!" read those lyrics to yourself and honestly say that bands haven't been using that same crap over and over again throughout the history of rock'n'roll. I gave this category a three only because Bruce Dickinson has a good classic metal singing voice.

I am surprised that Iron Maiden are still around. The guys are veterans of rock music. They could dish out anything to their fans and they'll love it. Their guitar playing only gets better with time. I know that these guys are really good, but I just get bored out of my mind listening to this CD. After #1, "Wildest Dreams," the one with the amazing lyrics shown above, I thought this CD was gonna be alright. Then I listened to #2, "Rainmaker," and got the same feeling. Then things went downhill. I guess I'm just not a true Maiden-head. You gotta respect the guys, but the album was kinda dry.