Death On The Road review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Iron Maiden: Death On The Road

This is your bog standard Iron Maiden Live album, which is absolutly better than anything the majority of bands can come up with, including the band proving once again that they are a solid unit and that they are awesome Musicians (Adiran Smith and Nicko McBrian are particularly impressive in this gig), also the crowd proving that Bruce Dickinson is not loudest person there. There is nothing that is unexpected, except the ease with which songs from the mighty "Dance Of Death" had eased thier way into the set.

This is Bruce Dickinson, the voice of metal and possibly of rock and roll full stop. His vocal range cannot be matched (no matter how hard Justin "My pubic hair is on fire and my testicles are being squashed by my cat suit" Hawkins from British upstarts The Darkness can do). His screams, his whispers, his laughs and his evil scowls just cannot be matched by any other singer in the world of Metal. The lyrics, despite being a miss match of albums, seem to fit together very well as if different poems in a book.

This album is very heavily biased with "Dance Of Death" songs. The best of those being the mighty Paschendale and the short but technical "Rainmaker." The suprise of the whole concert is the altered Lord of the Flies which is actually a whole tone down from the record version. It is not that fast but it is a simple, honest Metal song that is performed alot better than its record sibling. I Hate the fact that there is alot of stuff missing: nothing from Powerslave or Somewhere In Time, The Evil That Men Do is missing, there is no Wickerman or Sanctuary and I thought that Maiden had given up playing Phantom of the Opera all together until their stunning Early Years Tour. Also, The Clansman and Sign of the Cross were missing and more songs from "Peice of Mind" were needed as well. Overall, despite the odd choice of songs (why did they play can I play with madness instead of the evil that men do), this is a live album that should be purchased by every fan of live music, not just Metal, but anyone. It is not as good as "Rock In Rio" but no live album, bar "Live And Dangerous" by Thin Lizzy is. So it gets full marks in my book. Simply awesome. I would be distraught if this were stolen, and I would also be up on a Murder charge in court.

Gman400
    I like 2 minutes to midnight but don't listen to it much. Anyway, out of the Silent Planet is one of my more favoriteish Maiden songs. It's got a catchy as hell chorus, good melodies, cool verse, nice solos.
    sexybeast101
    ironmaidenrulez wrote: GNRrockslife wrote: Sorry to be an *****, but 2 Minutes To Midnight wasn't on Death On The Road! Then Yassine wrote: is duznt matter its still an amazing song METSOAD wrote: Then That it is Wrong, 2 minutes to midnight is an absalutly crap song, i wish they never made it.
    if you don't like that song,then you're a fake.2 midnights to midnight is one of their best songs ever!how can you not like it?
    IronMaiden8991
    krauser92 : i dont care about any other song on that album except pashandale, which they blew the roof off when they played that, and lord of the flies, which bruce outsung blaze's original recording, not to mention lord of the flies is one of the best maiden songs out there I agree 100%, they sound incredable on those 2 tracks, especially Paschendale. Up The Irons!
    krauser92
    PinkFloydrulez
    2 minutes to midnight is the song that got me into iron maiden and helped me get into metal in general. it being on vice city and me listening the hell out of v rock, hell yeah. \m/ took me a year or three but I got into it eventually and when doing so, I looked to the artists in Vice City.. and a few others.. But Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and Metallica.. so yeah
    TMAW
    ironmaidenrulez is a cool name but you are wrong and must be destroyed
    thefuture
    Bruce Dickinson is the greatest vocalist in Metal history, with exception of perhaps Tobias from Edguy (though Tobias still has much to prove). I'd like to see any other singer go a tour as massive as Iron Maiden does and then be able to hit the same notes. For the record there are no bad Maiden songs, only people with bad taste. And Hallowed Be Thy Name is Maiden's finest hour if you ask my humble opinion.
    Donkey Fly
    I gotta say...Bruce Dikinsons Voice maybe showing signs of wear and tear but he is still one of the best in the business.....it's unbelievable how he has kept his voice so strong and so.....err.....good thoughout the years...
    mackdaddy wrote: his voice goes to shit on Run To The Hills
    and so would your's....have you heards the vocals on that track.....
    prot
    kuki_anarPINEL wrote: what do you consider "out of the silent planet" if it isn't total faggish crap?
    a wicked song with a wicked drum beat just like every other song on brave new world...
    shibby013
    Mate 2 mins to midnight is a ****ing tune mate, No ironmaiden songs are crap. "ironmaidenrulz" is just one of those special kids who cant tell a good song from a bad one.
    a real DEAD one
    ironmaidenrulez wrote: GNRrockslife wrote: Wrong, 2 minutes to midnight is an absalutly crap song, i wish they never made it.
    Dude comit suicide. If you dont think thats a good song then your not a maiden fan, fag!
    Poisonous_Toxin
    I like Run To The Hills, it's not my fav. song in the world but that doesn't mean it sucks. But I like Number of The Beast better though. Freedom!
    erotic sweaters
    prot wrote: ironmaidenrulez wrote: Wrong, 2 minutes to midnight is an absalutly crap song, i wish they never made it. for someone with iron maiden in their name, you should hang your head in shame for that comment... there are NO maiden songs that are absolute crap. some are below MIND BOGGLING, but none are worth calling crap. i mean, of course its gotta be hard following aces high on a disc... it was like sabbath following maiden at ozzfest last year, after they blow the top off the place, its hard to get pumped for the next act...
    correct, there are no bad Iron Maiden songs.
    prot
    ironmaidenrulez
    Then
    Yassine wrote: is duznt matter its still an amazing song
    METSOAD wrote: Then That it is
    Gman400
    I didn't the fact that they played lots of repeat songs that you can hear anywhere (Run to the Hills, Iron maiden, Number of the Beast, even though they're kind of a must.) Still though, wehy would they play Clansman and/or sign of the cross? Both those songs are long and the album already has 3 7+ minute songs at least, not to mention the fact those songs were on Rock in Rio. I think they should've replaced Brave New World with Out of the Silent Planet though, cause IMO the rock in rio version is the best it'll probably get.
    rikkardo97
    right. 2 minutes is one of their best songs. if tou don't like it you don't like the iron maiden. I bought Death on the Road CD and it was great. I suggest you to buy it. In my opinion the best songs of the CD are 'Brave new world' and 'Fear of the dark' (my two favourite)