Different World review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Iron Maiden: Different World

"Different World" is a single, but other than the title track "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "The Trooper" are on here. Those last two songs come from live BBC radio sessions, while the first appears on the full length Maiden album "A Matter of Life and Death." The newer track can only be described in the most obvious and possibly dumbest sounding description of any song by Iron Maiden. "Different World" sounds just like Iron Maiden. What I'm trying to say is that, if you are a fan, you don't really have anything to worry about. It's not an amazing song, but it's a lot better than some singles I've heard from equally big-name Rock/Metal groups. The two BBC radio live tracks will cheer you up a bit, assuming you didn't like the single.

The lyrics to all three of the songs featured here are really good lyrics. Gets a bit farther than the "mindless screaming plus wall of noise" stereotype some people have of Metal music. Most of the time, the music is very well suited to the lyrics and you can hear the specific words Bruce is saying over the instrumentation, which is one reason I would call this a worthy release. You can actually completely respect a band, regardless of genre, who have lyrics you can clearly understand. I'm sorry, but some musicians nowadays, it just sounds like a wall of wasted sound and I don't only mean Metal groups.

Well, all I can say is wrong with this is a) it's a single and b) would prefer maybe two new songs and a demo or something as opposed to having two live tracks, though they are very good live tracks, so, this is not so much a complaint as a "hey! Where's the B side?" type thing. I'm not quite sure what anybody would call that. The point is this: Good studio song, two good live songs. Not perfect, but when you look at what certain other iconic Heavy Metal bands have been releasing, it all can be boiled down into one very short, very memorable sentence: I am the table.