Edward The Great review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Oct 31, 2002
Iron Maiden: Edward The Great

This compliation is a great start for people who are getting into Iron Maiden. About the sound: from the first track to the 14th, there are 2 guitarists playing (Dave Murray/Adrian Smith from 1st to 12th, and Dave Murray/Janick Gers from 13th to 14th). From the 15th to the 16th live track, there are 3 guitarists, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith and Janick Gers. It is awesome when you listen to the first 14 tracks, which are heavy and powerful enough, and then go through track 15 "The Wicker Man" with 3 guitars, which makes it even more heavier. The 16th and final track is a Rock in Rio live track "Fear Of The Dark", where 250, 000 fans are singing with them, so its great! "2 Minutes To Midnight" I thought was a strong song. One thing I regret was that the CD didn't have the song "Phantom Of The Opera", which I think has the best riffs ever, and I thought it was worthy of this compliation. Great, no, brilliant CD when it comes to sound. The bass played like it was playing a lead guitar or something! Steve Harris is a great bass player!

On tracks 1 to 12 and 15 to 16, sung Bruce Dickinson, 'The Air Raid Siren', and the master of Iron Maiden singers. Tracks 13 and 14 sung Blaze Bayley, who replaced Bruce when he left. I haven't heard much of Blaze before, so its gonna take me some time to get into his singing. He's cool, though. 01. "Run To The Hills" - I love the intro riffs, and its hard for me to play it!! This song is about the White Man taking over the Indians', er, Native Americans' land. 02. "The Number Of The Beast" - Yep. 666... but no, Maiden aren't devil-worshippers! This is perhaps THE song/Album that made Maiden famous. 03. "Flight Of Icarus" - I love the chorus as well as the verses. This song is about Icarus, who tried to fly with artificial wings, but as he flew, when he got too close to the sun, the wings melted and he fell to his death. I think it was something from Greek mythology (I think it was Greek, tell me if I'm wrong) I love the rhythm and riffs too. 04. "The Trooper" - I love the riffs, bass, and singing. Something about a war trooper fighting er, some enemy. I forgot which one. 05. "2 Minutes To Midnight" - In my opinion one of the greatest metal compostions ever. I love the solo adn where the rhythm gets all slow in the middle. 06. "Wasted Years" - Brilliant intro. I love the lyrics. 07. "Can I Play With Madness?" - This is pretty good. I like the chorus. 08. "The Evil That Men Do" - This is also good. 09. "The Clairvoyant" - I like the lyrics. 10. "Infinite Dreams" - Ok song. 11. "Holy Somoke" - One of the first Maiden songs I've heard, and I'll never froget this one. 12. "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter!" - Great song. I think its funny how he pronounces "daughter". 13. "Man On The Edge" - One song with Blaze Bayley. I'm gonna have to listen to it more often to get into it. 14. "Futureal" - Same with 'Man on the Edge', but I liked the chorus, sort of. 15. "The Wicker Man" - features 3 guitarists and I like the chorus adn the ending to the song. 16. "Fear Of The Dark (live At Rock In Rio)" - I love this song, especially the riffs and chorus, and the 250, 000 fans singing with them on Maiden's biggest live performance ever!

I love this CD, I listen to it every day, but I still regret it doesn't have "Phantom Of The Opera". Blaze Bayley was cool, but can't beat Bruce Dickinson! The guitars were brilliant, and even more brilliant in the last 2 tracks. The bass plays like a lead guitar or somethin', man! The drums are awesome too, but he never wrote any of the songs. He does in their recent album 'Dance of Death'. Most of the songs Steve Harris (bass) wrote. God, he writes good stuff! Great song for compliation - lovers or people just getting into Iron Maiden, one of the best metal bands ever! So forget Slipknot and buy Iron Maiden's Edward the Great!