Edward The Great review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Oct 31, 2002
Iron Maiden: Edward The Great

To start off, this was my first maiden album. It gives you a great taste of what they have to offer, from fast songs like "The Trooper" to more melodic songs, like "The Clairivoyant." As a matter of fact, while Bruce Dickenson was on his solo career, their temporary singer also had 2 hits, "Futereal" and "Man On The Edge." They bassist, steve harris, is amazing. Unlike many other bands, you can hear the bass very well, and it helps to provide richness to the overall sound quality. They have some amazing solo's, and the drumming is superb. Because it is a greatest hits, theyre really isnt any overall theme to it. I would like to add, this is probably the best introduction album to maiden that you could get.

About the lyrics, I am indifferent. many times, the lyrics arent well written in songs like "Number Of The Beast," the lyrics can get repetitive, make little sense, and well, boring. However, just because they werent well written, doesnt mean that they weren't well sung. Bruce Dickenson has an amazing voice. He can hit some very high notes, without any hint of diffuclty. The lyrics fit very well into the song, woven in expertly, with very little flaws (the only flaw is the words). Bruce has amazing potential as a singer, but writing he has to work on.

This album is among my favorites. I have had it for a year now, and it is still in my CD player everyday. The best songs on it are the trooper, the clairvoyant, and 2 minutes to midnight. The worst song, is man on the edge. If I lost this album, I would just get another copy of it. Or, I would go out and buy any of the maiden CD's I dont got yet. Definitly is amongst my favorite CD's, this is a must buy.

ryangardenour
    This is a great cd, but it is missing a few songs. It should have Iron Maiden, Phantom of the Opera, Hallowed Be Thy Named, and Aces High. Then it would be perfect.
    7thriff
    Noooo! if this had aces high and hallowed be thy name! god it's just so close! how could they leave them out! lol it's still bloody brilliant tho.