En Vivo! [DVD] review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Mar 27, 2012
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Iron Maiden: En Vivo! [DVD]

Iron Maiden being one of my favourite bands, of course I will be slightly biased but the review now begins. "En Vivo!" was filmed at Estadio Nacional in Santiago, Chile as part of Iron Maiden's "Around The World In 66 Days" tour. The band have said in interviews the reason why they chose Chile is because "South America always has the really passionate fans". It's nothing new in the way of Live DVDs, but for Maiden it showcases one of their best ever performances worldwide.

Content — 10
The DVD is a 2 disc set. Disc 1 is the actual show and Disc 2 is the "Documentary: Behind The Beast", the Directors cut of "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" video, the making of the video, and the "Show Tour Intro". The show setlist was as follows: 01. Satellite 15 (the Tour Show Intro) 02. The Final Frontier 03. El Dorado 04. 2 Minutes To Midnight 05. The Talisman 06. Coming Home 07. Dance Of Death 08. The Trooper 09. The Wicker Man 10. Blood Brothers 11. When The Wild Wind Blows 12. The Evil That Men Do 13. Fear Of The Dark 14. Iron Maiden -ENCORE- 15. The Number Of The Beast 16. Hallowed Be Thy Name 17. Running Free In my opinion, this is the best setlist Maiden have ever done, it includes the more classic Maiden songs ("The Trooper", "Fear Of The Dark") with some more modern Maiden ("Blood Brothers", "Dance Of Death") as well as more from the new album ("Coming Home", "When The Wild Wind Blows"). Disc 2's "Documentary, Behind The Beast", shows how a Maiden show goes together, while doing the Around The World In 66 Days. It's like Flight 666 but more behind the scenes of the the shows production crews. Also it shows planning the tour, and all the things that went into making the tour happen, with interviews with the band, production crew, managers, and more. Other features include the "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" video and making of, its awesome watching how the video all came together, with the final feature being the show's intro.

Production Quality — 8
The production of the soundtrack was done by Steve Harris and Kevin Shirley, who produces Maiden's albums now. Maiden play live note for note, and still put on an astounding performance, there is slight overdubbing, but not loads. It's nothing really new in the production field either. The camera producers were, Steve Harris, Rod Smallwood, and Andy Taylor, with post production by Andy Matthews. As I'm not a film-maker I don't really know much in this field.

I love the entire package, no problems with it, and as a Maiden die-hard it doesn't compare to other bands live DVDs. Watching the "Behind The Beast" documentary was incredible, seeing how my favourite band's stage show all goes together, and if I lost it or somebody stole it, after hunting revenge, I'd get it again. I hope my review helps you, any questions, comment :)

troyofyort
    The renditions of dance of death and the evil that men do are especially good and energetic!
    Satrianifan281
    Dance of Death is my favorite song of theirs and one of their best performances in the concert.
    Chronologo
    I was there!, it was a really magic moment for me when they played when the wild wind blows.
    satanlives
    In my opinion Iron Maiden never disappoint. They are my favorite band ever, and I love that they release the live albums and DVDs, I wish they would release one for every tour they have done. UP THE IRONS!
    ottyk
    I went to this tour, this band is incredible live \m/ \m/
    Blacklizzy
    Just because they've been doing it for many many years now, that does not mean that it has become less interesting. It's still outstanding what they do on stage, tremendous singing, epic guitars and really tight drumming and staying really oldschool while doing this.The show is simply great, Bruce Dickinson is so energetic and Janick Gers is just a super-guitar freak! Up the Horns!
    starfire666
    still can't get over it how Bruce nails The Talisman live - that guy just gets better with every tour...
    skilletfan17
    WTF? Demon Hunter comes out with a new album today and don't even get a spot on the review section on UG yet this washed up band gets the front spot for a DVD review? UG keeps disappointing me more and more lately
    4Dax
    Let me start by saying i am a fan. This left me somewhat disappointed. The documentary was a rehash of Flight 666. I found myself with a finger on the fast forward button. The concert was OK but i am tired of the scene changing every 1.5 seconds or less. Hold the camera on somebody for longer than that! The same editing in their latest concert films. Average at best.