En Vivo! [DVD] Review

artist: Iron Maiden date: 04/10/2012 category: compact discs
Iron Maiden: En Vivo! [DVD]
Released: Mar 27, 2012
Ed Force One heads to Chile as Iron Maiden document the Final Frontier World Tour.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 8
 8.6
 8.4
 8.8
 1,253
En Vivo! [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 10, 2012

Sound: Chances are that you've seen an Iron Maiden DVD before, but if you haven't then let me run you through the basics. Every few years the heavy metal giants embark on a world tour, documenting it with a concert film and concisely justifying their reputation as one of the best live bands on the planet. Some of these live releases are rightly celebrated as classics alongside their finest studio efforts and "En Vivo!" joins the catalogue as their twentieth unique live package. The Estadio Nacional in Santiago is the setting, with the band playing to 50,000 South American fans who can be counted among their most dedicated and energetic. With no overarching theme beyond an album to promote, the focus is on new tunes and "The Final Frontier" comes across very well here. The setlist is one that favours new material and the band clearly relish playing them alongside the likes of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Fear Of The Dark". It depends entirely on your preference but fans of the album will be pleased to see it stand up to close scrutiny - with such typically electric performance, songs like "The Talisman" and "El Dorado" don't seem out of place at all. A particular highlight, though, is the epic "When The Wild Wind Blows", which ushers in the business end of the set and provides Maiden fans with a new concert moment' for the first time since "Blood Brothers" in 2000. // 7

Overall Impression: With so many live releases under their belt it's clear that it would take a rather spectacular oversight for Iron Maiden to disappoint at this stage. They always deliver quality product and while "Live After Death" will forever be the definitive live album and "Flight 666" more or less perfected the documentary experience, these are two good films that diehards will absolutely eat up. // 8

- Duncan Geddes (c) 2012

En Vivo! [DVD] Reviewed by: drug.me.2.hell, on april 10, 2012

Sound: Iron Maiden being one of my favourite bands, of course I will be slightly biased but the review now begins. "En Vivo!" was filmed at Estadio Nacional in Santiago, Chile as part of Iron Maiden's "Around The World In 66 Days" tour. The band have said in interviews the reason why they chose Chile is because "South America always has the really passionate fans". It's nothing new in the way of Live DVDs, but for Maiden it showcases one of their best ever performances worldwide. // 8

Overall Impression: I love the entire package, no problems with it, and as a Maiden die-hard it doesn't compare to other bands live DVDs. Watching the "Behind The Beast" documentary was incredible, seeing how my favourite band's stage show all goes together, and if I lost it or somebody stole it, after hunting revenge, I'd get it again. I hope my review helps you, any questions, comment :) // 10

Comments