Fear Of The Dark review by Iron Maiden

• Released: May 11, 1992
Iron Maiden: Fear Of The Dark

Fear of the dark was Bruce's last record with Madien for quite a while and man is it a good one. 12 tracks on this record including the hits: Be Quick Or Be Dead, Afraid to shoot Strangers, Wasting Love, Judas Be My Guide, and the epic fear of the dark. The sound is a little diffrent than previous maiden records. The vocal style introduced in "No Prayer For The Dying" was carried onto this record. The singing isn't bad though it is diffrent. It sounds like a mix of Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead). Rob Halford (Judas Priest) and Brain Johnson (AC/DC) and just Bruce Dickinson. Also the have Janiek Gers which was also introduced in "No Prayer For the Dying". Janiek wrote a lot on this record. Steve bass sounds tighter than prevous records. Dave's playing is the same with the addition of more classical sounding guitar on Fear of the dark and Afraid To Shoot Strangers. And Nicko's drumming is better on this record. The whole Maiden sound Changed on this record as well a the album cover art work.

The lyrics are very deep on this record. I love Fear of the dark's lyrics. The lyrics do remind me a lot of Seventh son of a seventh son's style of writing. The lyrics deffinatlly match the music's longevity I would say complexity but all the songs on this record are realitivlly easy to play. Bruce does sing with enthusisam but live after this record was released because of inner turmoil in the band he wasn't so enthusaistic.

The record definatlly differs from previous Maiden records. it's like a mix between No Prayer for the dying and son of a seventh son. My favorite Maiden record after the golden era. My favorite is Powerslave. The best songs are Be Quick or be dead, Afraid to shoot Strangers, Judas be my guide, Weekend Warrior (so '90s) and the best track is Fear of the dark. I would buy it again if I lost it. And in this case do judge a book by it's cover!

Blood Hawk
    lol i was like " what? fear of the dark has synths?" haha yeah but this album is good
    Silas S Thompso
    When I read the first review I was like, "did I click the right review". Turns out this guy just ****ed up what he was writing about. That oughta feel like a waste of time. Anyway, love what I've heard on the record.
    Silas S Thompso
    Judas be my guide is the best song on the album as well as parts of afraid to shoot strangers. The chorus on Judas is amazing. UP THE IRONS!!!!!
    dawoodman619
    fear of the dark! FEAR OF THE DARK!!! I have a constant fear that someone's always near