Flight 666 [DVD] review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Jul 7, 2009
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 7
Iron Maiden: Flight 666 [DVD]

This is the story of one of Iron Maidens world tours. The idea of this tour was to bring classic Maiden to fans in countries that wouldn't normally be able to go to see big bands like Iron Maiden play live, and so the DVD is all very reminiscent of Iron Maidens early days in the 1980s. Its great to see some of the brilliant technique all 3 guitarists use, but I would have liked a more in depth look into the substantial amount of rack mounted gear and Marshall heads backstage.

Content — 10
This DVD comes in 2 parts - the first is a documentary which details the tour and follows the band around the world as they play. It is based around interviews with the band, crew and fans. The second DVD contains the full set, with every song played in a different country around the world. Some of the best bits of this DVD were actually (surprisingly) off stage, looking at how the band cope on tour and what its like. Some people might realize that Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maidens lead singer, was in fact the pilot who took them around the world, and so its also fascinating to see the few brief shots of him flying. I'm giving this section a 10 simply because of the wonderful live DVD, which has enough Classic Maiden to last you ages, and Iron Maiden have a brilliant live act which captured me even watching two years later, thousands of miles away from the stadium!

Production Quality — 7
The production of this DVD is really fairly basic - its all recorded and filmed using very high quality kit and that shows, especially in the audio, but its really based around interviews and live concert shots so there isn't really any special effects usage or need for it (although Iron Maidens stage show contains plenty of pyrotechnics, costumes and more to keep you entertained).

The best thing about this is quite definitely the wonderful live videos. As I said before in this review, this DVD has me lusting after some Iron Maiden tickets - the show is pure '80s metal - loud, elaborate and in your face! I also really enjoyed the insight into how an established band such as Iron Maiden pulls off a world tour - its more personal than I expected in many places! I only wish this DVD had a little more insight into the gear Iron Maiden use in their live rig!