Killers review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Feb 2, 1981
Iron Maiden: Killers

Maiden's second album Killers from 1981 was recorded better than their self titled debut and it really does deliver. Joining the band for this album is guitarist Adrian Smith and he makes a huge difference when him and Dave Murray team up. The two guitars are faultless when it comes to sound quality. It doesn't sound that heavy now but in '81 it would have. This doesn't matter at all as that 80s crunch works like a charm. The opening song is the first of two instrumentals "The Ides of March." I heard a song by Samson (an old band that Bruce Dickinson) used to be in that sounds just like it. Inspiration for Steve Harris maybe? I don't know.

This has some great lyrics on and shows the fresh ideas of Steve Harris who writes all the songs on here except track 10 "Twighlight Zone." The song that surprised me was "Murders in the Rue Morgue." it has really good lyrics and structure about a man on the run from the law all the way through. Best lyrics I think are on "Killers" which is probably the best song on the album. Paul Di'anno is very good on this his second and last album with Maiden. He has a different style to his following replacement Bruce Dickinson but no the less he is excellent.

This was the first Maiden album that I bought (probably because the cover features the most violent scene that Eddie is in out of all the albums - he's in the process of hacking somebody to death with an axe.) After buying a load of other Maiden material it hits my CD player regularly and I just can't imagine getting bored of it. The guys use a lot less effects than there recent stuff. Wah wah and delay are about the limit here. The most impressive songs from it are: "Killers," "Wrathchild," "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Drifter." My favourite song on the album is definitely "Drifter" as it probably boasts the best solo. I don't hate anything about at all. There isn't anything worth hating on it in the first place. I would definitely replace it straigth away if it got lost or stolen. I'd try to get the insurance company to get it for me first though. Definitely worth buying if it isn't in your CD collection right now. A must have for Maiden fans new and old alike! Only other thing is buy the album now - no excuses!