Killers Review

Iron Maiden: Killers
Released: Feb 2, 1981
Genre: Hevay Metal
Label: EMI
Though their 1980 self-titled debut hit hard and is sometimes regarded as the band's best album, there's no doubt that Iron Maiden's 1981 followup LP, "Killers," was the band's first great album.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.3
 9.9
 8.7
Killers Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on april 21, 2006

Sound: Though their 1980 self-titled debut hit hard and is sometimes regarded as the band's best album, there's no doubt in my mind that Iron Maiden's 1981 followup LP, "Killers," was the band's first great album. And boy, what an album it is. Hitting hard right from the start, the opening instrumental "The Ides Of March" is a perfect way to set the mood for the monumental, epic proportions that the subsequent songs deliver. With blistering guitar harmonies (a classic Maiden staple that really wasn't established until this album; they booted Dennis Stratton and pulled in Adrian Smith, and the rest is history), a powerful drum line (Clive Burr, though not the best Maiden drummer, certainly added a great dimension to the sound), and, as usual, the most monumental bass you have ever heard, the opener, though just an instrumental, still manages to stir up the adrenaline you need to open up the album. Pretty much every other song on the album is worth mentioning, as well. Though I won't bore you with an extensive song-by-song analysis. May I be one of those annoying reviewers and say "You'll just have to get the album and hear it for yourself"? Heh heh, nah, I'll go a bit more in-depth. Adopting a more sophisticated production value than the debut, the album still does a great job at not being "overproduced." The raw, hardcore Maiden edge is still very present; just in a clearer, crisper manner. It's still intense classic Maiden at its finest. Let's just say it's not as perfectly-produced as "Number Of The Beast" (which, let's face it, folks, was pretty ridiculously overproduced). In a nutshell, it was one of the most fitting Maiden album productions to date. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the band hasn't changed much since their debut, which, to be fair, was only a year before. Still, some of the lyrics, when matched with Di'Anno's rough vocals, attain a classic style all their own. The title-track manages to be gruesome and gory, while at the same time being suspenseful and just an overall kickass song. There's no better way to describe it. With "Prodigal Son", the band take on a mellower, more folk-ish style, both lyrically and musically. I could almost describe the song as Beatles-esque, but I don't know, that could just be crazy old me. Overall, the lyrics are pretty similar to the debut's lyrics, but you have to admit, that's still pretty awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I feel that this is one of Maiden's best albums. Not their #1 best, but easily, let's see, yeah, #3. Right behind "Piece Of Mind" and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son." In my eyes, it shows a stunning jump from the debut, and was really the first album in which the band established a signature sound. Guitar harmonies are much more prominent, the bass still makes up major parts of the songs, the drums are much more precise and intense, and Di'Anno sings way better on this album than on the debut. I mean, don't get me wrong, the debut was awesome; but "Killers" manages to be one of the most stunning achievements of the band's career. // 10

Killers Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Sound: Maiden's second album Killers from 1981 was recorded better than their self titled debut and it really does deliver. Joining the band for this album is guitarist Adrian Smith and he makes a huge difference when him and Dave Murray team up. The two guitars are faultless when it comes to sound quality. It doesn't sound that heavy now but in '81 it would have. This doesn't matter at all as that 80s crunch works like a charm. The opening song is the first of two instrumentals "The Ides of March." I heard a song by Samson (an old band that Bruce Dickinson) used to be in that sounds just like it. Inspiration for Steve Harris maybe? I don't know. // 10

Lyrics: This has some great lyrics on and shows the fresh ideas of Steve Harris who writes all the songs on here except track 10 "Twighlight Zone." The song that surprised me was "Murders in the Rue Morgue." it has really good lyrics and structure about a man on the run from the law all the way through. Best lyrics I think are on "Killers" which is probably the best song on the album. Paul Di'anno is very good on this his second and last album with Maiden. He has a different style to his following replacement Bruce Dickinson but no the less he is excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This was the first Maiden album that I bought (probably because the cover features the most violent scene that Eddie is in out of all the albums - he's in the process of hacking somebody to death with an axe.) After buying a load of other Maiden material it hits my CD player regularly and I just can't imagine getting bored of it. The guys use a lot less effects than there recent stuff. Wah wah and delay are about the limit here. The most impressive songs from it are: "Killers," "Wrathchild," "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Drifter." My favourite song on the album is definitely "Drifter" as it probably boasts the best solo. I don't hate anything about at all. There isn't anything worth hating on it in the first place. I would definitely replace it straigth away if it got lost or stolen. I'd try to get the insurance company to get it for me first though. Definitely worth buying if it isn't in your CD collection right now. A must have for Maiden fans new and old alike! Only other thing is buy the album now - no excuses! // 10

Killers Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2004

Sound: This album is the best by Iron Maiden in my opinion. It has all different sounds from soft to fast to heavy to light. It has all aspects of heavy metal. It is a manditory album of the Iron Maiden fans. With sick riffs, solos and harmonies it is sure to please your guitar needs. If I could I would rate it a 10. // 10

Lyrics: Paul Di'Anno is the lead singer in this album. In my opinion, he is a way better singer than Bruce Dickinson. He sounds good live and in the studio. But he is no good without Iron Maiden. His lyrics are awesome and make you want to look them up. His lyrics go perfect with Adrian Smiths and Dave Murrays sweet guitar. He can scream pretty good and he has a good voice and that all I can really say. // 10

Overall Impression: It is one of my favorite albums by Iron Maiden along with Iron Maiden, Number Of The Beast, Peice Of Mind And Powerslave. The best songs on this album are Killers, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Wrathchild, Prodigal Son, Purgatory, Twilight Zone And Drifters, but the whole album is definetly worth listening to all the time. I love the harmonies and all the sick riffs and solos. I don't hate anything about it. If it was stolen I would buy it again and again. It's been scrathed and wouldn't play and I imediatly went and bought another copy. It's is a kickass album that is worth the money. // 10

Comments