Piece Of Mind review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Jan 1, 1983
Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind

This is my favorite Iron Maiden album and I think the sound is part of the reason why. This album was produced by Martin Birch who produced Deep Purple's "Machine Head" and Maiden's previous 2 albums. All the instruments are really clear and powerful the guitars and melodic, the bass is galloping almost as complex as the guitar solos and the drums are great too. Speaking of drums, this album marks the first appearance of drummer Nicko McBrain who really adds to Maiden's sound. So yeah, sound is great.

Lyrics are standard for Maiden covering topics like war, history and science fiction. As normal Steve Harris (Bassist) has the most writing credits with the other band members contributing here and there. Do I really even need to go over singer skills? It's BRUCE DICKINSON! Personally, I think this album and "Powerslave" contain Bruce's best vocals. He showcases a wide-range of styles. *Warning I'm about to make some comparisons to other metal singers* The end of "Where Eagles Dare" features some Rob Halford type vocals. And "Flight of Icarus" reminds me of the late great Ronnie James Dio. Vocals and lyrics are great.

This album is great, but just to further prove my point I'll do a track by track review.

01. "Where Eagles Dare": Great drum intro, nice catchy riffs and blistering solos and like I mentioned before some very nice vocals by Bruce.

02. "Revelations": In my opinion this is one of Maiden's most underrated songs. It has some great lyrics a simple riff but hey, it works.

03. "Flight of Icarus": Great song, catchy chorus, good vocals and a few good solos in there.

04. "Die With Your Boots On": This song really shows Maiden's humorous side with the "You're gonna die" in the background and aside from that this song has some great drum and bass work.

05. "The Trooper": Besides "Run to the Hills" this could be Iron Maiden's most popular song and for good reason! Great opening with all the instruments showcasing what the boys in Maiden can do followed by Bruce shouting the lyrics melodically and the strong chorus, great song.

06. "Still Life": This song starts out with drummer Nicko McBrain speaking in a foreign language in reverse followed by a haunting performance by the rest of the band. Adding to the atmosphere are the lyrics "NIGHTMARES! Will give me Piece of Mind."

07. "Quest for Fire": With this song comes my only problem with the album starts, this song seems like a filler meaning it was created just because the band needed a song for the album. It's still a great track just a little short and doesn't hold up to the rest of the tracks.

08. "Sun and Steel": A better track than "Quest for Fire" but still not that impressive it is strong in the fact it features great vocals and great bass playing.

09. "To Tame a Land": It's Iron Maiden tradition to have at least one big song on almost every album. Example: "Phantom of the Opera," "Hallowed be thy Name," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Alexander the Great," "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and this song is this albums big song. The lyrics are based around the book "Dune" which is great subject matter and the actual musicality on this song is great too the whole band really shows off their talents. Great closer to a great album the only thing I didn't like were the filler songs. And if this album was ever stolen I'd buy it as soon as possible.

Downfault
    I read the second review and I got to say that I do not agree at all. First off, The Trooper is not just an average song. That harmony is legendary. Second, Sun and Steel is an awesome song with good lyrics. Just because you lack imagination to grasp the concept of the lyrics doesn't mean they suck. It means you suck.