Rock In Rio Review

9.5
 9.8
 9.2
Rock In Rio Reviewed by: METSOAD, on january 25, 2006

Sound: This is what live metal was building up to since the very first Black Sabbath shows of the early '70s. Blistering, Ferocious, Loud as hell with 250,000 people adding to the already extreme amounts of noise. The guitaring is as always with iron maiden, brilliant and uncompareable. The singing is inspired by Bruce and Nicko seems to do everything effortlessly. // 10

Lyrics: All these lyrics were written before this concert so cannot be reviewed. Still awesome though. // 10

Overall Impression: Here all the songs performed in this album: 01. The Wickerman - a moment of glory for a returning Adrian Smith to get his riff played on its own to a quater of a million people. Stunning. 02. Ghost Of The Navigator - the first proper Iron Maiden style riff on exhibition and if you watch the DVD you see Dave and Janick in a sort of 'Trooper formation' infront of Bruce for the last bit. Unfortunatly, it was the worst song on show and should have been "Aces High" from "Powerslave" or another "Brave New World" song. 03. Brave New World - that epic chorus gives the Crowd the first chance to out shout Bruce and they succeed. Crazy Solo's are nothing new but they were performed with a scary subtlety. 04. Wrathchild - the Dainty Thrasher gives Dave Murray and Steve Harris a chance to properly excersise their fingers for the first time. 05. 2 Minutes To Midnight - the (unfortunatly) only Powerslave option displays Adrian Smith's ability to riff, solo and show off in extreme's, except for the fact Janick mirrors his every move. Bruce fools around with the camera during this. 06. Blood Brothers - another one of those huge choruses coupled with a couple of Planet sized riffs but could have been replaced with either another song off "Brave New World" or a "Peice Of Mind" classic like "Flight Of The Icarus" or "Die With Your Boots On." 07. Sign Of The Cross - the epic to end all epics at over 10 minutes. Haunting, challenging, thought provoking and stunning. Bruce got a bit of a break here. Nicko however was superb. 08. The Mercenary - picks up the pace and quickens the finger movements of Smith and Gers, who each take a solo. 09. The Trooper - the only Peice Of Mind outing and possibly the most electrifying song to play live alongside Metallica's "Master Of Puppets." 10. Dream Of Mirrors - the last "Brave New World" outing and desreves it's place. A half Acoustic Gem half Metal Stomper sees Janick at the top of his form. 11. The Clansman - an epic about the Scotish Clans and a simple but enormous chorus and acoustic bassage by Steve. 12. The Evil That Men Do - the only "7th Son Of A 7th Son" offering which has an insainly good riff and another of those Choruses that sucks you in and gets you shouting. 13. Fear Of The Dark - epic in every way, incredible vocals, riffs and solos, drumming. I could go on forever about this song. 14. Iron Maiden - fast paced, another great workout for Murray and Harris plus the stage layout with the hut and the fake flames give a great atmosphere. 15. Number Of The Beast - 2 fantastic guitar solo's (Adrian Smith's is the greatest of all Iron Maiden's solos) and a legandary bass solo by Steve plus crushing pyro's make this unforgetable. 16. Hallowed Be Thy Name - the infamous riff the best guitarists struggle to master and more explosive soloing by Dave and Janick. 17. Sanctuary - runined by the crowd pleasing stop-start nature of the performance, incredible soloing by Adrian and Dave redeams it. 18. Run To The Hills - impromtue, unexpected, unrehearsed. It could have been a real mess but it became legandary for the fluency and spectacle of it. Overall the greatest metal live album ever prouced, far outweighing "Live After Death" and the most recent "Death On The Road." // 10

Rock In Rio Reviewed by: janecoffin27, on november 10, 2003

Sound: Excellent sound quality, much better than Live at Donnington or A Real Live/Dead One. Been overdue for a good sounding one for a while, and this one delivers. With Rock in Rio spanning the band's twenty-odd years, Iron Maiden's unique styles are showcased very well. This was during the Brave New World tour, so they put emphasis on the new album, with 6 songs from it. // 10

Lyrics: Hey, we're talkin' "Bruce Bruce", the fuckin' air-raid siren. Of course his singing's good, although he seems to be busy sometimes with jumping around the stage and doesn't hold the microphone like he ought to, but those instances are too rare to deserve any real mention. The lyrics are usual genius. // 10

Overall Impression: More or less in order, you've got "The Wicker Man", "Ghost of the Navigator", "Brave New World", "Wrathchild", "Two Minutes to Midnight", "Blood Brothers", "Sign of the Cross", "The Mercenary", and "The Trooper" on disc one. Disc two's got "Dream of Mirrors", "The Clansman", "The Evil That Men Do", "Fear of the Dark", "Iron Maiden", "The Number of the Beast", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Sanctuary", and "Run to the Hills". Nice setlist, though I think they should've done more stuff from Powerslave and Piece of Mind. They performed everything extremely well. I especially like how they've sped up "Sign of the Cross" but I liked the half-time feel of 23:58 and I wish they hadn't taken it out. Overall this a great album. This is great if you're just getting into Maiden and want to hear some stuff from everywhere (though there are no songs from Somewhere in Time.) Go find this and buy it. In fact, buy two in case someone steals one. "Got any err? Well....ish! There's only one um...an' that's Fuck 'em! 'Kin 'ell! Up the Irons!" // 10

Rock In Rio Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2004

Sound: This album is one of the greatest live albums in the world, the sound of the three guitarists is fantastic,there solos are amazing, it sounds just like there albums but better, it makes you feel like your one of the 250,000 people there. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce's vocal work is out of this world, he is without a dought the greatest singer ever to pick up a, ever since he joind iron maiden on there number 1 number of the beast album he has raised there performance, who needs paul di anno? // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks ass, it brings together all of iron maidens classics and fires them at you in a ball of greatness,everything about this album is brilliant and to be honest anyone who doesent like it should go back to there padded cell, may iron maiden bless us with more albums in the future up the irons! // 10

Rock In Rio Reviewed by: cpt_pimp, on june 13, 2005

Sound: They just can't be compared to any other band. Just to show you how great their performance is, I got into Iron Maiden because of this live album. And I was into rap before them! So yeah, anyways, their guitars are flawless. I never thought any band could take such advantage of three guitars, but they do it perfectly. They include crowd participation which makes their songs even more epic. I love Iron Maiden, but they seriously show off who they are when perfoprming live. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are their wonderful lyrics. If you haven't heard Iron Maiden, they're not your typical "I love you" or "I want to die." Their lyrics are influenced by stories or events or movies, whatever. They keep you entertained. And of course, even though the lyrics may not be your style, Bruce Dickinson can make you listen to emo stuff and you'll still like it. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to their other live albums, this one is the best. Of course it could've included a couple other songs on their set list like Pahntom Of The Opera or such, but it was still a nice set. Impressive songs are The Wickerman because it's the perfect opening song for any live performinace. Of course, Run To The Hills is probably the best song to end a set, so they did that well too. I've had this record since almost a month after it came out when my brother bought it, and I basically kept it. I wouldn't have to buy this album again because there's no way in hell I'd ever let this album get away from my sight. // 10

Rock In Rio Reviewed by: guitar4lyf, on august 09, 2006

Sound: Probably The Most unique metal band I have ever heard. Bruce's singing is what I like to call "Air raid siren vocals" because of their extreme higher pitched twist that sets him apart from most metal singers. Iron Maiden's songs are more complex and melodic than many modern metal bands, or even many of the bands who were around during the same time period as Iron Maiden. This album, Rock In Rio, has all the best Iron Maiden songs, with the added twist of being live. The crowd singing can make hashbrowns out of a song sometimes, though. // 10

Lyrics: Iron Maiden has more meaningful lyrics than many bands I have heard, with many of the lyrics based on movies, or historical events. The lyrics have their place in the music, although when Bruce tries to get the crowd to sing, it fails occasionally and makes the song sound choppy. Bruce is an exceptional singer, with his own unique voice that nobody could ever duplicate. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the better live albums I have heard. Like I said before, sometimes the lyrics sound choppy due to the crowd's lack of singing in some parts. My favorite songs off this album are Dream of Mirrors, Run To The Hills, The Trooper, and The Evil That Men Do. The other songs are good as well, but those in my opinion were the best. I this was stolen, I would go out and buy a new copy immediately. // 10

Comments