Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Apr 11, 1988
Iron Maiden: Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

The sound of this album is by many regarded as a drift from heavy metal, Using more synthesizers then sometimes needed and that's what a lot of people hate in metal. Though I like hearing synth in metal, and Maiden beeing my favourate band, I think this album to be one of the best Maiden has ever done. The first song; 'Moonchild' is a real spinal tapping experience. It has an amazing synth intro, great solo's (but that's the very least we can expect from Iron Maiden) and the chorus is just wonderfull, definatly one of the better songs on the album. Infinite Dreams. It's a little different from your average Maiden song, But in a good way. It has a very catchy sound and the song structure perfectly developes from slow and dreamy into a real blasting solo, also a very good song. Can I play with Madness. Personally I don't really like this song. It is probably Maidens biggest hit ever, though it is a little standard. The Chorus is catchy but gets a little annoying. The solo however makes the song acceptable again and has a brilliant bass break in it. The Evil that men do. A pretty good song, nice guitar intro though lyrically a bit overdone. Bruce repeats the same line a hundred times, and so is the chorus. But this is not the place to brag about the lyrics. Seventh son of a Seventh son. A worthy title song and even one of my favourate Maiden songs. Gets on a little slow but once your into it you can't let go. Bruce is amazing on this song and the hated Synthesizers really catch a dark mood in this song. Vocals quit a little soon but you won't regret that when you hear the huge solo section. I really don't understand why Adrian departed after this album, his guitar skills on this album are outstanding and surpasses Dave's by miles. There's a beautiful bridge and an outburst of total chaos between the two guitars. This song is a master piece. Period. The Prophecy. Dave Murray definatly score's high in my list after writing this piece. The Acoustic intro has a very harmonic dark touch to it and the synth once again placed perfectly in the picure. Though after the intro when the actual song bursts in you'll probably doubt if it will get anywhere near as good as the intro. Believe me it will. Perfect solo and ironically the outro. Good song but a little to chaotic. The Clairvoyant, another Maiden classic from this album. Good bass intro, I already wondered, where did steve go? But this song makes up for that. Powerfull vocals and guitar, another wonderfull song. The very last song of the Album; Only the good die young (symbolic for Adrians departure at the time). No it's not, but it's a insanely great song. It is really one of those songs you wanna hear when you and your friend jack are going trough a hard time. Also best lyrics of the album in my opinion and the outro (almost the same as the Moonchild intro) reminds you that it was a conceptual album (what it was) yeah.

The album is a conceptual though not all songs are part of the story (overall Moonchild, SSOASS, The Prophecy). Though all other songs could fit in the story in a way. The Lyrics are perfectly fit on the songs and are very strong. Steve Harris is an outstanding Lyricist so I never doubt that. The singer skills. What's there's to say it's Bruce Dickinson dude! How can you not like his vocals? Though it's all my opinion.

SSOASS is my favourate Maiden album tough there's no album I didn't like. I think the mood works for me and that is why I really love it. I really like the synth in metal works though a lot of people say synth and keyboard use in metal should be banned for ever. The guitar solo's on this album (especially the title song) are the best Maiden ever came up with. Dave's Solo's on this album are a bit experimental and you can hear he's solo's are a little orientated on Adrians style. Adrians solo's however are a hundred times as mad as ever. In my opinion he is one of the best guitar palyers on earth and I'm glad Maiden got him back. If someone we're to steal my album I'd ste his house on fire. my copy of this album will probably be burned too, but I don't mind buying another one.

MC_Rimes
    Stop geezing the Geezer SSOASS is kick ass album, I listen to it every ****ing day, and yeah, maiden is awesome here... Btw those are not guitar and bass synths, just plain old keyboards...
    freedomdeceptiv
    dude, there are guitar synths (idk about bass syths tho) but i think theres sum keyboard too. this is definitely up there with the # of the beast and powerslave