Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Review

9.8
 8.8
 2,087
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2004

Sound: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is for many maiden's most successful and greatest album. Well it would be fair to say that for this album, but I believe that Somewhere in Time is a better album. Well Seventh Son, has some of the greatest maiden guitar work, great solos, and one of their greatest solos ever included on the title track. This album also sounds quite amazing with Adrian Smith's Guitar Synth and Steve Harris' Bass Synth. Also the guitar riffs on this album make it go to other levels, also the bass work by Steve Harris is some of his most memorable ones. // 10

Lyrics: In this album the lyrics are taken to a whole new level, from songs like Infinite Dreams to The Evil That Men Do (Which lyrics came from Shakespeare's words) and to something never done by Iron Maiden. A trilogy, the Seventh Son trilogy includes, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, which is when the Son is born, and the start. Then The Prophecy, thats when the Seventh Son warns everyone, and tries to help everyone by trying to make them to have faith in him, and then their third single released The Clairvoyant, which is when he meets the maker, this has never been done by Maiden, but it is amazing. And of course Bruce Dickinson vocals are always great, there are some of Bruce's greatest vocals in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, is Iron Maiden's perfection of Somewhere in Time, by using the bass and guitar synths more effectively. Seventh Son, has a new touch to maiden's music, it has the never before seen trilogy and the different lyrics. Well they also have some of their greatest bass and guitar works, this including riffs, solos, and the sytnhs. Most impressive songs here are, the second single released: The Evil That Men Do, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, and the short lengthed closer Only The Good Die Young. Also Maiden have some of their best acoustic work in The Prophecy. The only song thats I weak, is Can I Play With Madness, their first single off the album, because its guitar riffs are very weak, and the solo is too short. If I lost this album I would definitely buy it again. This album is DEFINITELY worth buying, it's some of Maiden's finest works. So if you dont have this album, I recommend you pick it up. // 10

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on april 22, 2006

Sound: Well, if you own all the Maiden albums up to this point, I think it's pretty clear that Iron Maiden is basically a band composed of complete nerds. From history references to literature references, with plenty of war battles in between, Iron Maiden pretty much set the standard for making geeky concepts rock. And with 1988's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", the concept of nerdiness is taken to a whole new level. Composed of 8 tracks, the last 4 are all conceptually based upon the "Seventh Son" book series by Orson Scott Card. Though the first 4 songs are great too, there's no doubt that "Seventh Son" goes down in the history books as one of the greatest concept albums ever. If you've heard any of "Somewhere in Time", you'll be fully aware of the band's change of sound. Still that classic Maiden signature style, but with synths thrown in, along with some more complex song arrangements. Well, in my opinion, Seventh Son takes all the positive aspects of "Powerslave" and "Somewhere in Time", pulls out anything negative, and what you've got left is one of Maiden's greatest albums they've ever done. The only album I know that comes close would be "Piece of Mind", but that for me ties with Seventh Son. Seventh Son basically takes rock solid concepts, epic guitar parts ("Moonchild" has arguably the best guitar work in the band's career), monumental bass/keyboard elements, good solid drumming, and Bruce Dickinson singing what his probably his best performance ever. Though Bruce's voice changed dramatically on the subsequent "No Prayer for the Dying", Seventh Son appears to be Bruce's last truly great vocal album; and undoubtedly his best, too. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is also one of the best Maiden albums. Taking elements from the Seventh Son novels, Maiden mold songs into a completely solid perspective, and it works out great. Songs like "Can I Play With Madness" and "The Evil That Men Do" (arguably Bruce's best vocal performance ever) are also very cool, but it's really the concept half that is memorable. However, the album's opener, "Moonchild", contains the memorable passage perhaps of the whole album: "Seven deadly sins, seven ways to win, seven holy paths to hell and your trip begins/Seven downward slopes, seven bloodied hopes, seven are your burning fires, seven your desires" (notice that the word "seven" is said seven times in that passage). Those exact lines are again spoken at the end of the album's closer, "Only the Good Die Young"; and is probably the best opener/closer formula ever created. Judging by both how well the lyrics fit with the music and how well-constructed and ideally sound they are as a whole, this album is a lyrical gold mine. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this album, along with "Piece of Mind", are my two favorite Maiden albums. PoM probably has the better songs, but as a complete album, "Seventh Son" is quite possibly the most complete work the band has ever created. Next time you're at the mall, pick up this album. Pick yourself up a copy of the Orson Scott Card book, too. You won't be disappointed with either. // 10

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: Rankles, on september 24, 2005

Sound: This album, whilst regarded as the peak of their career, was also the start of their decent. The synths used sparingly on the tracks add a new dimension to the awesome Maiden sound and there isn't a single bad song on the album. These synths would later lead to the departure of Adrian Smith but in this album particularly, they really added to the concept. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are typical Maiden and any fan will know what to expect from them. The great thing about this album in particular is that it is a concept alcbum, and so most songs relate to the story of the Seventh Son. Another great point is that unlike most Maiden albums, there simply isn't one bad song on here. In fact, some album tracks which seem to have disappeared into obscurity are actually some of their best songs arguably, such as Only The Good Die Young and Infinite Dreams. // 9

Overall Impression: As stated, SSOASS is to me and most Maiden fans the peak before the crah of Iron Maiden. Nowadays they are back on form but this was the last album before Adrian left and only one album later so did Bruce. This is the culmination of Iron Maidens signature sound and is one of two number one albums they have had in the UK. If you're just getting into Maiden, this is the album to pick up second, right after Number Of The Beast has let you know what you're in for. // 9

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: Fi-Fi, on december 20, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is by many regarded as a drift from heavy metal, Using more synthesizers then sometimes needed and that's what a lot of people hate in metal. Though I like hearing synth in metal, and Maiden beeing my favourate band, I think this album to be one of the best Maiden has ever done. The first song; 'Moonchild' is a real spinal tapping experience. It has an amazing synth intro, great solo's (but that's the very least we can expect from Iron Maiden) and the chorus is just wonderfull, definatly one of the better songs on the album. Infinite Dreams. It's a little different from your average Maiden song, But in a good way. It has a very catchy sound and the song structure perfectly developes from slow and dreamy into a real blasting solo, also a very good song. Can I play with Madness. Personally I don't really like this song. It is probably Maidens biggest hit ever, though it is a little standard. The Chorus is catchy but gets a little annoying. The solo however makes the song acceptable again and has a brilliant bass break in it. The Evil that men do. A pretty good song, nice guitar intro though lyrically a bit overdone. Bruce repeats the same line a hundred times, and so is the chorus. But this is not the place to brag about the lyrics. Seventh son of a Seventh son. A worthy title song and even one of my favourate Maiden songs. Gets on a little slow but once your into it you can't let go. Bruce is amazing on this song and the hated Synthesizers really catch a dark mood in this song. Vocals quit a little soon but you won't regret that when you hear the huge solo section. I really don't understand why Adrian departed after this album, his guitar skills on this album are outstanding and surpasses Dave's by miles. There's a beautiful bridge and an outburst of total chaos between the two guitars. This song is a master piece. Period. The Prophecy. Dave Murray definatly score's high in my list after writing this piece. The Acoustic intro has a very harmonic dark touch to it and the synth once again placed perfectly in the picure. Though after the intro when the actual song bursts in you'll probably doubt if it will get anywhere near as good as the intro. Believe me it will. Perfect solo and ironically the outro. Good song but a little to chaotic. The Clairvoyant, another Maiden classic from this album. Good bass intro, I already wondered, where did steve go? But this song makes up for that. Powerfull vocals and guitar, another wonderfull song. The very last song of the Album; Only the good die young (symbolic for Adrians departure at the time). No it's not, but it's a insanely great song. It is really one of those songs you wanna hear when you and your friend jack are going trough a hard time. Also best lyrics of the album in my opinion and the outro (almost the same as the Moonchild intro) reminds you that it was a conceptual album (what it was) yeah. // 8

Lyrics: The album is a conceptual though not all songs are part of the story (overall Moonchild, SSOASS, The Prophecy). Though all other songs could fit in the story in a way. The Lyrics are perfectly fit on the songs and are very strong. Steve Harris is an outstanding Lyricist so I never doubt that. The singer skills. What's there's to say it's Bruce Dickinson dude! How can you not like his vocals? Though it's all my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: SSOASS is my favourate Maiden album tough there's no album I didn't like. I think the mood works for me and that is why I really love it. I really like the synth in metal works though a lot of people say synth and keyboard use in metal should be banned for ever. The guitar solo's on this album (especially the title song) are the best Maiden ever came up with. Dave's Solo's on this album are a bit experimental and you can hear he's solo's are a little orientated on Adrians style. Adrians solo's however are a hundred times as mad as ever. In my opinion he is one of the best guitar palyers on earth and I'm glad Maiden got him back. If someone we're to steal my album I'd ste his house on fire. my copy of this album will probably be burned too, but I don't mind buying another one. // 10

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 30, 2006

Sound: This is another album that secured the reputation of one of the worls most revered metal bands: Iron Maiden. This is also the last album written until "Brave New World" that has master rhythm player Adrian Smith in the band. Which also explains why he basically runs the shows with some brilliant riffs, galloping rhythms, awesome harmonies and mind blowing solos that bambozle the mind and errode the fingers. But that doesn't mean that the rest of the band is foresaken. There is no Iron Maiden without Dave Murray and Steve Harris and both display thier talents and song writing abilities to the fullest on this recrd as well. Nicko McBrain also diaplys a massive ability with some truly enormous breats. The Synthisiser, which is played by Steve Harris is occasional but awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson just seems unable to disapoint anyone, from the screams of "The Evil That Men Do" to the evil scowls and high notes of "Can I Play With Madness" and the simple evil displayed in "Only The Good Die Young" shows a man fully knowing that he is the best singer in the world and willing to show that ability off at every oppotunity. The lyrics he gets to sing are genius, from the questioning "Infinte Dreams" to the epic title track and the helpless sounding "Only The Good Die Young" displaying some of the most creative minds in all of musical history. // 10

Overall Impression: Moonchild starts with the Seven Deadly sins bit and launches into a blistering album opener with a great synth opener and guitar solo. Infinite Dreams is a song with lots of intresting key changes and a couple of short by masterful guitar solos. The Rhythm playing in this song is particularly impressive. Can I Play With Madness would have been better as an acoustic song but nonetheless it is one of Iron Maiden's more popular songs with a massive chorus. The Evil That Men Do is a blistering display of rhythm playing, one of the finest moments of Adrian Smith's carrear. Bruce is also excellent and the chorus is one of the mightyest in the bands catalouge of big choruses. The Title Track is 10 Minutes long and has some truly insane riffs and masterfull lyrics. Steve Harris should be proud of this masterpeice of a song. Prophercy is Dave Murray's song writting contribution to the album and it shows with a beautiful intro followed by a crushing verse with lots of key changes and some excellent acoustic guitaring at the end. The Clarvoyiant is the track that could have been much longer because it could have had a at least anothe verse and a couple more riffs, still awesome anyway. Its not often the album ender is the highlight but that is the case in the mighty Only The Good Die Young. The Riffs are spectacular, the chorus is mind-blowing and the solos are truly show stopping. Overall this is an excellent record that evryone should buy, if you are a casual fan, a fanatic a singer, a guitar or bass player, a drummer or even just a fan of rock music in general. It is so incredibly heavy that it is painful and so technical it hurts the brain. The latest 2 albums and "Powerslave" and "Number Of The Beast" are better but this is very close. A stunning recrd that all should hear. // 10

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on august 10, 2006

Sound: 1988, the year when Synths would come into full flow in Maiden songs. Even though you still have the classic Maiden sound, the synths add a whole new dimension which makes each track that so much better. SSOASS is not necesarily the album which brought Maiden to the peak of their career, (I think their peak is yet to come, maybe with AMOLAD)but the album which showed them at the peak of their creative abilities. There is some amazing guitar work and sounds on this album that Maiden fan or not. It would be crazy not to listen to and buy this album. // 10

Lyrics: I feel that this album shows Maiden's abilities to take Historic events and mythology and turn them into songs. Every track on SSOASS is a story which sometimes may leave you with a message or sometimes may leave you confused. The lyrics are so strong and creative, but not the greatest feature of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to all the other album's Maiden have released it's easy to say that this is in the top 3 of anyones list. Out of all 8 tracks their are some that obviously stand out as classic tracks including the legend it's self 'Can I Play With Madness?' but you will find when you listen to each song you will find that it is hard to choose which your favourite track is. 01. Moonchild - starts off with an accoustic passage giving this album's theme and then it builds into a fast rocker. Some great synth work in here and Bruce's vocals are really agressive. Solo's are good and feature some cool tapping in Adrian's solo. 02. Infinite Dreams - a good intro riff which breaks into harmony. Song starts off soft with some Hendrix style riffing behind the vocals. It then breaks into a heavy chorus. Great changes from soft to hard. a lot of cool harmony riffs and a cool solo which features both D and A. 03. Can I Play With Madness? - don't really have to say much about really. Awfulyl catchy chorus. Cool solo with the use of an octivider and some of Bruce's best vocals. 04. The Evil That Men Do - another awesome rocker. With the Main riff that even if you haven't heard this song you will for some reason recognise it. A catchy pre-chorus I think and a slow solo which sets the mood and really works. 05. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - Maiden tackle the 10 minute epic challenge, and succeed! They've done it before with Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and Alexander The Great, but this is the first time in which they create the story themselves. Wonderful musicianship throughout and some really good riffing. 06. The Prophecy - I think one of the best songs on the album even though people say it is the worst. It has a chordy intro riff which after 2 repeats comes in with some cool harmony bends. All throughout this song there are some awesome riffs which I class as being some of their best. A Cool solo from Dave and a really cool acoustic outro. Bruce sounds amazing here. 07. The Clairvoyant - as if the album couldn't get any better, coming in at 7, The Clairvoyant!. An amazing epic with some really great riffing. Starts with a cathcy bass riff. The solo is amazing, if not the best on the album. Bruce sounds spectacular. 08. Only The Good Die Young - this song is probably the worst on the album but it is still a good song. A cool harmony intro riff. End similar to Moonchild as if to say the whole album is one story which is pretty cool. The riffs are unbelievable and The Clairvoyant solo totally blew me away. There is nothing to hate on this album apart from the fact there is only 8 songs on here which could be considered short, but quality not quantity. If it was stolen heck yes I'd buy it again. // 10

Comments