Somewhere In Time review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 29, 1986
Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time

In 1986 music was farely bent. There was 'Slippery When Wet' by Bon Jovi, 'The Bridge' by Billy Joel and 'Pre-Madonna' by Madonna. But then on the 29th of June, an english band who went by the name of Iron Maiden released something amazing. This amazing thing was 'Somewhere In Time.' With it's mixture of the usual heavy metal and great choruses it made the perfect heavy metal album expected from Maiden. But this time it was different. It had bass and guitar synths. Now hold on. Don't go off. Finish the article and see what you think then. In the UK it debuted in the charts at number 3. In America, the album debuted at Maiden's highest ever chart position, 11. This was mainly because of the phenomenal success of the album release in 1984, Powerslave.

The lyrics are top notch on this album. That is because all the songs were written by either bassist Steve Harris or lead and rhythm guitarist Adrian Smith. As usual Bruce Dickinson's singing is excellent. To this day he is still considered to be the best heavy metal singer around. In my opinion, he is and always will be.

'Somewhere In Time' is my personal favourite album. It is also the most forgotten album by Iron Maiden. The most impressive songs on the album are 'Alexander The Great', 'The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner' and the very commercial-sounding 'Wasted Years.' I love the synths and this album was just the start of Maiden's number 1 album 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' which also featured synths. This album also featured the most detailed album in music history. It containeed more than 100 refererances to Iron Maiden. I recommend you find a large pic of it as it is unmissable. I hate that it is so short with only 8 tracks. One song that was left out was 'Reach Out' which is sung by Adrian Smith. It's very commercial sounding but I like that. It appeared as a B-side on the 'Wasted Years' single. It should have been on the album! If I lost this album I would definitely buy it. Go out and but it to support real metal.