Somewhere In Time review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Sep 29, 1986
Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time

A seriously amazing sound. This record has the best recorded sound I have ever heard. This was the first Iron Maiden record that I ever bought and I remember putting it into the car stereo and having my jaw on the floor when I reached the end of Caught Somewhere In Time. Even though this album was recorded with guitar synthesizers, it still sounds raw and amazing. The guitar harmonies in the songs are amazing. The album sounds literally like a heavy metal Orchestra as it is very symphonic. I don't know how this was recorded but they did an amazing job. The style of this album revolves around futurism, hence the title. When you hear this record, you can immediately recognize the sound as a futuristic kind of tune and it puts you right into the story of the album. All in all, the sound is the pinnacle performance of this record.

The lyrics on this album are just a bit on the confusing side. Iron Maiden, like you may know, writes lyrics that revolve around ancient beliefs and myths of the world. If you don't know the myths inside out, you may not be able to clearly understand what the lyrics are saying. The lyrics though, go with the music very well. Bruce Dickinson sings in harmony with the instruments, therefore adding even more of a symphonic sound to this record. Bruce Dickinson is one of the most talented singers alive and does a great vocal performance on this record. Sometimes it is rather difficult to hear what he is saying but nonetheless, a great vocal sound.

This is my personal favorite Iron Maiden album. When I first bought it, I listened to it again and again. I literally wore out the CD and went and bought it again. So you know already what I would do if I lost this album. This album is very much underrated as not many of the songs are found on live performances or best of compilations. This album is some of the greatest work ever made by the band and should be owned by every Iron Maiden fan. If I had a complaint about this album, it would be that the lyrics are hard to understand in some places. All in all though, this album is amazing.

Donkey Fly
    Sjusovaren wrote: Donkey Fly, that was for Number of the Beast, while he was still under contract with Samson. He just didn't have any good enough ideas stored away and didn't write anything in time for the album.
    Yes...sorry.....i've just looked at it again and realised...
    ryno9193
    This is my favorite album from Iron Maiden, probably only because it was the first one I heard from them. My dad showed me these guys when I was about 7, and I've been in love with them ever since. I love every track on this, but Stranger in a Strange Land is probably my least favorite. It doesn't quite fit in with the mood of the other songs to me.
    Helloween4Ever
    METSOAD wrote: IRIAH MAN wrote a good review but missed out 2 very things that happened in 1986..... MASTER OF PUPPETS AND RIEGN IN BLOOD that is all good review
    MOP is good, but Reign in blood sucks IMO 2nd maiden album, 1st was DoD, and they're both amazing albums
    freedomdeceptiv
    dude, reign in blood rocks, not as good as master of puppets since slayer is not as good as metallica, but its still ok. Maiden took a different direction for this album, using guitar synths but it wasnt a bad idea. greatt album, especially sea of madness
    Silas S Thompso
    Master of Puppets was too clean production and commercial for thrash and Reign in blood was short and didn't have enough solos. Reign in blood is still awsome though. My favorite bands are Megadeth Iron Maiden (something) MY favorite maiden albums are Brave New World PowerSlave Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Caught Somewhere in Time Dance of Death Piece of Mind