Somewhere In Time Review

Iron Maiden: Somewhere In Time
Released: Sep 29, 1986
Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: EMI
"Somewhere In Time" is the sixth studio album by Iron Maiden.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
 2,572
Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: METSOAD, on june 02, 2006

Sound: This is the Adrian Smith masterpeice. The entire of this album was written by the great bassist Steve Harris and the mighty rhythm playing genius of British metal kings Iron Maiden. Dave Murray gets more of a rhythm work out, displaying more of this side of his playing than ever before. Nicko McBrain also gets a few moments of genius. But the album writters are the best musicians on this record. Steve Harris gets some brilliant riffs, an excellent bass solo in Sea Of Madness and just general brilliance. Adrian Smith's solos are getting ever more brilliant at this point, as seen in Stranger in a Strange Land and Wasted Years. // 10

Lyrics: Bruce Dickinson once again proves that he is a masterful singer. Listen to Wasted Years and Deja Vu for a good example of the might of "Wing Commander Biggles" voice. The Backing Vocals are also very good on this record. The Lyrics are all penned by Steve Harris and Adrian Smith and it might just be the lyrical peek of Iron Maiden's long carear. The album's lyrical peek is the crap last line of Alexander The Great, because its so simple yet ties this epic up so well in so few words. The lyrics of the opening track Caught Somewhere In Time and Stranger In A Strange Land are also impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: Caught Somewhere in Time is ferocious with a couple of enormous riffs that would be brilliant to start a gig with. The Lyrics are impressive here. Wasted Years is catchy but still awesome, Adrian Smith manages to do every lead part and vocal harmony perfectly, this song is one of his finest moments in Iron Maiden. Sea Of Madness has the albums bass solo, a fast paced mixture of millions of notes that sounds fantastic. The Chorus is also impressive. Heaven Can Wait has a very cool intro section and continues in the very cool vein. The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner has some awesome drumming by Nicko and a brilliant pace change from the intro to the main body of the song which is the albums thrash type track. Stranger In A Strange Land is quite slow and with it brings a mighty riff and a couple of brilliant bass lines. The Lyrics are also quite good here. Deja Vu is Dave Murray's input, and it shows, some sparkling riffs and intresting harmonies, it is one of the albums highlights. Alexander The Great is like a mix of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and a history lesson, whatever it is, it is great. The last line is crap but it is genius at the same time. Overall, this is the most underrated of all Iron Maiden's albums. It is a great all time metal record with odd but fitting the synth sounds, the solos from Steve Harris and Adiran Smith and some of the blistering harmonies in the albums second half make this record in some ways like "Number Of The Beast" and in other like nothing the band have ever written before. I have one problem with this, and its the absenece of a proper Dave Murray solo, which is sorted by a massive return to form from one of the founding memebers in the bands next offering "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". A Great record which should be purchased by all who love Iron Maiden and Metal in general. // 10

Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on april 21, 2006

Sound: At the end of the World Piece Tour, for the last show, Iron Maiden "killed" their mascot Eddie on stage. They tore open the head and pulled out all of these clothes to represent brains, and they were kicking him and stuff; it really was quite a good show. And then, for "Powerslave," Eddie had been resurrected as a Pharaoh. And now, for 1986's "Somewhere in Time" album, Eddie has, for some reason, gotten lost in time. You know a band is deep when their freaking MASCOT has a back story! Pretty much a transition album between "Powerslave" and "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son," "Somewhere In Time" shows one of the strangest things at the time for Maiden to do; they changed their sound. Well, okay; to be fair, it was still signature, classic Maiden. But with the added touch of the synthesizer on most of the tracks, a whole new dimension is added to the album; the sound is completely different from "Powerslave". It's definitely not a bad thing, though, considering that the album has arguably some of the band's best material. In terms of production value, this album is great. I assume it was fitting for the futuristic theme of the album. But there's something so special about the way the whole album just "sounds," it's hard to explain. It seems as if there's a tinge of whammy bar usage in spots where Murray and Smith previously would've left it out, the guitar solos are more complex and generally longer, the drums usually feature more complex and unique arrangements, Harris is the usual madman on bass, and when added with the synths, it really gives an incredible sound. Imagine, if you will, the classic Maiden harmonized guitar solo. Now, imagine that with a synth over it. Yes, it's ridiculous. Theoretically, synths shouldn't fit with Maiden, but somehow, they do. Almost perfectly. Bruce does pretty well on this album (has he ever done bad? ), but there's just something about his voice that lacks from previous albums. I know I'm being picky here, but it just seems to me that certain tracks like "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Deja Vu" feature a different side of Dickinson's voice, it's nothing too terribly bad, but it's different, and almost to a disturbing degree. I don't know, I could just be nitpicking here. If you ask me, this album and "Seventh Son" are the only two albums that feature this type of sound, I can't even explain it. Maybe it's the synths. Maybe it's the more complex arrangements. Whatever it is, the sound on "Somewhere In Time" is incredible, and was almost as signature of a sound as their previous releases. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album is great. Straying from your average Maiden concepts (history, literature, war), the band try a completely different and unique approach. Sure, "Alexander the Great" is an 11th-grade history lesson packed into 8 and a half minutes of song, but even that has its high points. But you get songs like "Caught Somewhere In Time," the opener which definitely sets the stage for the rest of the album, albeit in a very disturbing but awesome way. "Deja Vu" is pretty much exactly what you think it is; a song about Deja Vu. Bruce sings lines about feeling familiar with things and knowing what's coming up next, it's basically like the song "Fear of the Dark" but with a different concept. It's also eerie how well Dickinson hits the matter truthfully on mark, too. Overall, the lyrics on this album go in a weird direction, but all I can say is that I still really liked it. A lot. // 9

Overall Impression: Coming from a long-time and rather hardcore Maiden fan, this album really is quite good. I'm not quite sure if it's the first Maiden album you should run out and buy if you're just getting into the band ("The Number Of The Beast" is always reserved for that spot), but if you have quite a few other early Dickinson Maiden albums, then get this. When analyzed alone, it's a good album. When you see how much it influenced their followup, "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son", it's an exceptional album. // 9

Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: maidenfan12, on april 19, 2004

Sound: Well, since im a guitar player the thing I listen to mainly in this is the guitars. Dave Murray doesn't seem to have his usual lively solo's in this, they drag on a bit, but still quite good. Adrian on the other hand, well, amazing guitar work here, Wasted Years, incredible, The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, fantasic. Bruce is always at top notch, Steve maintains his incomparable bass technique, and Nicko, well, its just Nicko innit, can he be bad??? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this, I find are quite deep, and very effective, except for one song. Alexander The Great is a very good song, but the lyrics, thats another thing. I find the last chorus kinda lame, and if it was anyone else singing, I would hate the song, but Bruce projects his voice perfectly in it. I'm still giving this a 5, as the other 7 songs are incredible. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Maiden were right to disagree with Bruce about this album. He wanted an acoustic album, which eevryone knows could not have worked for the time. I find it a shame that he got no song writing credits, but the band have produced another mind-blowing album, and the synthesizers are just incredible. My favourite album. Easily. // 10

Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: IRISH MAN, on october 04, 2004

Sound: In 1986 music was farely bent. There was 'Slippery When Wet' by Bon Jovi, 'The Bridge' by Billy Joel and 'Pre-Madonna' by Madonna. But then on the 29th of June, an english band who went by the name of Iron Maiden released something amazing. This amazing thing was 'Somewhere In Time.' With it's mixture of the usual heavy metal and great choruses it made the perfect heavy metal album expected from Maiden. But this time it was different. It had bass and guitar synths. Now hold on. Don't go off. Finish the article and see what you think then. In the UK it debuted in the charts at number 3. In America, the album debuted at Maiden's highest ever chart position, 11. This was mainly because of the phenomenal success of the album release in 1984, Powerslave. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are top notch on this album. That is because all the songs were written by either bassist Steve Harris or lead and rhythm guitarist Adrian Smith. As usual Bruce Dickinson's singing is excellent. To this day he is still considered to be the best heavy metal singer around. In my opinion, he is and always will be. // 8

Overall Impression: 'Somewhere In Time' is my personal favourite album. It is also the most forgotten album by Iron Maiden. The most impressive songs on the album are 'Alexander The Great', 'The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner' and the very commercial-sounding 'Wasted Years.' I love the synths and this album was just the start of Maiden's number 1 album 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' which also featured synths. This album also featured the most detailed album in music history. It containeed more than 100 refererances to Iron Maiden. I recommend you find a large pic of it as it is unmissable. I hate that it is so short with only 8 tracks. One song that was left out was 'Reach Out' which is sung by Adrian Smith. It's very commercial sounding but I like that. It appeared as a B-side on the 'Wasted Years' single. It should have been on the album! If I lost this album I would definitely buy it. Go out and but it to support real metal. // 10

Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: shredder_666, on december 20, 2006

Sound: A seriously amazing sound. This record has the best recorded sound I have ever heard. This was the first Iron Maiden record that I ever bought and I remember putting it into the car stereo and having my jaw on the floor when I reached the end of Caught Somewhere In Time. Even though this album was recorded with guitar synthesizers, it still sounds raw and amazing. The guitar harmonies in the songs are amazing. The album sounds literally like a heavy metal Orchestra as it is very symphonic. I don't know how this was recorded but they did an amazing job. The style of this album revolves around futurism, hence the title. When you hear this record, you can immediately recognize the sound as a futuristic kind of tune and it puts you right into the story of the album. All in all, the sound is the pinnacle performance of this record. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are just a bit on the confusing side. Iron Maiden, like you may know, writes lyrics that revolve around ancient beliefs and myths of the world. If you don't know the myths inside out, you may not be able to clearly understand what the lyrics are saying. The lyrics though, go with the music very well. Bruce Dickinson sings in harmony with the instruments, therefore adding even more of a symphonic sound to this record. Bruce Dickinson is one of the most talented singers alive and does a great vocal performance on this record. Sometimes it is rather difficult to hear what he is saying but nonetheless, a great vocal sound. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my personal favorite Iron Maiden album. When I first bought it, I listened to it again and again. I literally wore out the CD and went and bought it again. So you know already what I would do if I lost this album. This album is very much underrated as not many of the songs are found on live performances or best of compilations. This album is some of the greatest work ever made by the band and should be owned by every Iron Maiden fan. If I had a complaint about this album, it would be that the lyrics are hard to understand in some places. All in all though, this album is amazing. // 10

Somewhere In Time Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2010

Sound: the sound on this album is a very futuristic sound, a bit compressed with added synths for a "cool" atmosphere, Bruce Dickinson's singing is at it's A-game here, and Adrian Smith steps in the spotlight with some amazing solos, and Dave Murray has a few too. Drums and bass are up to the Maiden standards courtesy of Nicko McBrain and Steve Harris. 01. Caught Somewhere In Time: starts off with a harmony, and then builds up to a fast paced adventure that contains two blazing guitar solos. /10 02. Wasted Years: Kind of a powerballad, catchy riffs and singing. /9 03. Sea of Madness: really cool song, great solos and singing. /10 04. Heaven Can Wait: one of the longer songs on the album, the solos rival Caught Somwhere in Time's, and the song is fast paced and doesn't bore. /10 05. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner: a fast paced song, but it can get corny at times, great guitar harmonies. /8 06. Stranger In A Strange Land: very good, the verses and the guitar solo make the song great. /9 07. Deja Vu: probably the most underrated song on the album, amazing vocals and guitar harmonies. /10 08. Alexander The Great: there couldn't be a better way to close the album. the vocals will sound shivers down your spine, and as usual the solos are nothing short of amazing. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Caught Somehwere in Time: somewhat Docter Who-esque lyrics, kind of cheesy, but it fits the mood of the album and the theme of the song very well, Bruce sounds amazing on this. /10 02. Wasted Years: very good lyrics, "Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years." Singing is great, but the chorus gets repetitive near the end. /8.5 03. Sea Of Madness: the lyrics are deep and hard to comprehend, but the "Sun don't shine, on the sea of madness" interlude makes the song. /10 04. Heaven Can Wait: this is about a near-death experience. Bruce's singing guides you the whole way through. /10 05. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner: musically, this is an amazing song, but lyrically, not so much. /5 06. Stranger in a Strange Land: about being frozen in ice on an Arctic land. great singing here, and very good lyrics as well. /9 07. Deja Vu: the title is pretty self explanatory, the singing is some of the best on the album, and it makes the song what it is. /9 08. Alexander The Great: yet another very self explanatory title, the singing takes you away on a journey throughout Alexander's life. Amazing. /10 // 9

Overall Impression: This album is often overlooked, but it can seriously hold its own against the Maiden discography, and obviously being a Maiden song, is leagues above many artist's albums. Every song on the album has it's own unique qualities, and they all stand out. Being a guitarist, I can appreciate the guitar playing as some of the best that Adrain and dave have ever done. If this was stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again. So do yourselves a favor, get this album, and up the Irons!! \m/ // 10

Comments