The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Nov 23, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Iron Maiden: The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD]

Attention all Maiden fans: if you don't own this DVD you don't have the right to call yourself a Maiden fan. That's right, this DVD is about the very epitome of the band itself, and has some very nice information within, not to mention a repeated use of the first half minute of "Losfer Words" played back over and over again on the menu. What are you going to get with this DVD? A documentary with info on the band's first four albums (Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast, and Piece Of Mind), along with a few live shows to keep you entertained. So how's the sound quality? Well, the documentary part does a great job with sound quality (what do you expect from a professionally made documentary on a band as famous as Maiden). The live shows, well, they're live, so obviously the sound quality's going to be a little rough here and there, but actually, these ones aren't too bad. For the most part you can distinguish between the vocals and guitar parts and it doesn't sound like one big muffled pile of crap. That's a definite plus. I was surprised, actually, because they're probably some of the best done live videos I've ever seen. So it appears the producers really set their minds to it when they were making this thing.

Content — 10
I know what you're thinking, and I thought it too before popping the DVD into the player: that it's a metal band documentary and it's only going to be about drug abuse and women and you know, the cliched rock and roll documentary. This documentary, however, tries very hard to steer clear of all of that and just get into the minds of the band members themselves. They've even got a timeline going on throughout the feature that will show you the date and the lineup of that time. And yes, Maiden went through a crapload of lineups before and during their albums. I really liked how you got to pretty much see everyone from the band and hear them talk and share their feelings towards the band and their members. It's not one of those "and then they released this and then they played at this show and then this guy quit" type of documentaries, it really goes in depth. I thought it was one of the most well-done documentaries I've ever seen; certainly the most cliche-free.

Production Quality — 10
Like I said before, the documentary is done fantastic and even the live shows are done well. Cheers to the producers for molding this into a listenable DVD, as opposed to most live videos I've seen (and, very sadly, heard).

This is definitely one of the most in-depth, kickass documentaries I've ever gotten the privilege to view. You watch the documentary, get to know the guys, and then pop on over to the live shows to watch some of them; this DVD's got it all. I maybe could have asked for some more live shows, but hey, let's not get greedy, let's be happy with what we have! Plus, there's something so cool about watching the band beat the hell out of the Eddie mascot at their last show of their Piece of Mind tour, pulling out colored clothes to look like brains. Gotta love those guys!

Spartan 117
    i love this dvd and i cant wait for part 2. oh yeah and the band killing eddie was only a little snipet on the documentary, SethMegadefan. do u have a special version that includes "iron maiden"? if so tell me where u got it please.