The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] Review

artist: Iron Maiden date: 06/11/2005 category: compact discs
Iron Maiden: The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD]
Released: November 23, 2004
The Early Days' is a unique collection of archive material packed onto 2 DVD's that covers the beginnings of the band's career from the struggle to get gigs in East End pubs through to becoming within just 5 years a band capable of headlining arenas anywhere around the World and achieving this without any radio support to speak of at any time.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.5
 9.9
 9.9
 9.8
The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2005

Sound: The DVD is a double disc set that features live gigs on one disc and a 90 minute documentary on the other. The gigs then: 01. Live At The Ruskin Arms 1980: effectivley a home movie. Shot on just one camera the line-up is Steve Harris/Dave Murray/Clive Burr/Paul Di'anno/Dennis Stratton. The sound quality as you might imagine is not the best but the gig itself is really good and worth watching to see what Maiden were like in the very early days. 02. Live At The Rainbow 1980: Dennis Stratton replaced by Adrian Smith. This is a really good gig and the band play pretty well. The sound is excellent. It's full on but not mind blowing if you know what I mean. The bass sounds great as do the guitars. The drums are good and Paul Di'anno is on top form. He made up the lyrics he uses for "Killers" just before the show. Stand out songs are Phantom of the Opera, Wrathchild and Remeber Tomorrow and Killers. 03. Beast Over Hammersmith 1982: Paul Di'anno replaced by Bruce Dickinson. Bruce Dickinson is amazing here. The sound is much better than the Rainbow gig and there is a real sense of showmanship from the band. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith's guitar solos just bounce off each other in songs like Number of the Beast and The Prisoner. Bruce delivers songs such as these and all the rest with fantastic energy. Steve and Clive of course are also excellent. 04. Live In Dortmund 1983: Clive Burr replaced by Nicko McBrain. This show probably has the best sound. The Piece of Mind material sounds superb - The Trooper, Revelations and Flight of Icarus. The sound is much more complete than the Hammersmith show and Nicko's drumming is great. The band play the best out of the four gigs here I think. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other Maiden DVDs such as Rock in Rio and Visions of the Beast I think that The Early Days is really good. Better than Visions and similar to Rock in Rio. I was really impresed by the documentary myself and I was amazed that so mant ex-memebers and old record company execs took part. I like everything about it. Simply there is nothing to knock the band for except maybe the awful taste in dress in the early gigs. Ah well spandex isn't going to be forgotten yet. I would definitely replace this if it were lost/stolen becuase it's great to watch and it's a piece of Maiden history. // 10

The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on june 11, 2005

Sound: Attention all Maiden fans: if you don't own this DVD you don't have the right to call yourself a Maiden fan. That's right, this DVD is about the very epitome of the band itself, and has some very nice information within, not to mention a repeated use of the first half minute of "Losfer Words" played back over and over again on the menu. What are you going to get with this DVD? A documentary with info on the band's first four albums (Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast, and Piece Of Mind), along with a few live shows to keep you entertained. So how's the sound quality? Well, the documentary part does a great job with sound quality (what do you expect from a professionally made documentary on a band as famous as Maiden). The live shows, well, they're live, so obviously the sound quality's going to be a little rough here and there, but actually, these ones aren't too bad. For the most part you can distinguish between the vocals and guitar parts and it doesn't sound like one big muffled pile of crap. That's a definite plus. I was surprised, actually, because they're probably some of the best done live videos I've ever seen. So it appears the producers really set their minds to it when they were making this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely one of the most in-depth, kickass documentaries I've ever gotten the privilege to view. You watch the documentary, get to know the guys, and then pop on over to the live shows to watch some of them; this DVD's got it all. I maybe could have asked for some more live shows, but hey, let's not get greedy, let's be happy with what we have! Plus, there's something so cool about watching the band beat the hell out of the Eddie mascot at their last show of their Piece of Mind tour, pulling out colored clothes to look like brains. Gotta love those guys! // 10

The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] Reviewed by: Avantasia, on april 19, 2005

Sound: The sound is great, for all the old video footage that they have the sound is perfect. Couldn't be better. // 10

Overall Impression: This has everything that a die-hard Maiden fan would need to know about the first four albums (Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind). // 10

The Early Days, Part 1 [DVD] Reviewed by: Stian_S, on june 10, 2005

Sound: Here you got the best of the best, the first four albums. As always Maiden plays flawless at live gigs. On top of loads of Maiden gigs you get a documentary which tells of the very start of Iron Maiden. These gigs feature both Di'Anno and Dickinson. // 10

Overall Impression: This disc is perfect if you want the early Maiden and some background info on them. The most impressive thing on this disc is Live At The Rainbow, pure Maiden spirit. The thing I love about this disc is all the things you get for a little price. If this was lost, I would buy a new one. If somebody stole it. // 10

Comments