The Final Frontier review by Iron Maiden

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Aug 16, 2010
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 9 (322 votes)
Iron Maiden: The Final Frontier
0

Sound — 10
Up The Irons! Iron Maiden is back with their fifteenth studio album, one that has been eagerly awaited by Maiden fans all over the world. This album, as opposed to their previous album, is unique in the sense that the guitar works are quite different. Although tinged with the prog influenced riffs of AMOLAD, the riffs of this new album are heavier and more complicated with much less melody that would've been expected from Iron Maiden. But, the songs carry perfect chord progressions and time signatures and Steve's galloping basslines are stronger than ever. Also, the first track, Satellite 15..The Final Frontier, contained some modulated vocals from Bruce which also sounded nice and one of the songs featured double-bass drumming from Nicko McBrain. Adrian, Dave and Janick were on top gear, featuring some melodic and blistering solos.

Lyrics — 10
First thing that I can be sure of is that this is not a concept album. Although one might get a hint of the concept of space exploration from the title, the lyrics of the songs vary. As Bruce explained the lyrics of El Dorado, it contains cynical lyrics dealing with the economic turmoil that has been happening recently. Some of the lyrics are centered on fantasy, songs such as Isle of Avalon and The Man Who Would Be King. The subject of war, although mentioned less, has not been not wholly left out from this album. The song Mother of Mercy is about such, where Bruce sings I'm a soldier at war. Bruce's vocals are top-notch, polished and operatic as ever. But I feel his voice has lost some vigour which he used to possess back in the middle 80's. But, anyway, the lyrics wholly represent what Iron Maiden is all about, nothing meaningless in them, and Bruce has done in this album what he does best. Moreover, this album has focused less on darker lyrics and more on fantasy and the possibilities of exploration unlike AMOLAD, which dealt with war and nuclear proliferation.

Overall Impression — 10
This is a great album which I absolutely loved. But to be honest, this particular album will create a mixed response among the fans and critics probably due to a different way of playing the songs. I had to listen to the album twice to truly find out the awesomeness in it. However, on the whole, this is a must buy album for metal fans. It has great songs. In fact, all the songs are equally great and epic. The worst song of this album, according to me, would be The Alchemist. I thought the feel of the song didn't quite fit into the feel and vibe of this album. Also, this should be a must buy album for those who aren't Maiden fans. This album has the ability to change their minds. On contrary, it's not comparable to the classics of Iron Maiden like The Number of The Beast or Powerslave. This album has a different feel and sound altogether, similar to their previous album. However, Iron Maiden has proved their crafty, skillful musicianship producing yet another epic tale (my way of expressing an album) full of poetry, epic and lyrical genius. Thumbs Up to Steve and the others for the song making and same to Kevin Shirley for the fabulous production.

61 comments sorted by best / new / date

    titchhh
    I trekked out at 8am today to get to HMV for 9am when it opened just for this album. And i must say; This album, makes me proud to say They're my favorite band. I think it would make any maiden fan proud to love them.
    duncang
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: "But the MAN can't can't half solo". Janick is more of a performer than a technician.
    Adrian Smith can't half solo. That's a good thing!
    Gyoung1991
    "Hats off, once again, to Mr. Adrian Smith for his contributions to proceedings not to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers, but the man cant half solo!" Overall well written review, but ^ is poorly worded. I would assume you mean Janick can't solo which is an understandable opinion (he is prone to noise), but if you are saying Murray can't solo this review automatically loses all credibility.
    RedDemon502
    derpdragon wrote: Honestly I can normally point out several flaws to any album and I will do so even more when I love a band as much as Maiden, but theres like virtually no real flaws. The only flaw I could pick out was that I just wasn't to into El Dorado. I don't think it's possible for Steve Harris to write bad music, I mean even X Factor was still rather good.
    X Factor and Virtual XI were both good albums, people only hated on them because Bruce Dickinson wasn't singing. And I thought Blaze wasn't that bad actually, but I do prefer Bruce and Di'anno over him. As for The Final Frontier, the album is amazing, anyone who says otherwise is not a fan or does not know what good music is. But just like every other album it takes a few listens to take it all in.
    DIII 503
    MaidenandEddy wrote: For me personally, at 1 hour 15 minutes long it's a lot to take in on first go, and you need two or even three listened to fully appreciate everything. But once that's achieved, I can safely say that I believe Maiden, with The Final Frontier, have released their best album of the 'new' era. If this doesn't make the Top 5 in next week's albums charts it will be an absolute disgrace.
    It'll be a total disgrace if this album doesn't reach the top 5 in the US charts. This should go platinum.
    rgt42dx
    i didn't feel the first half of the songs much at all, sounds mediocre or worse, but the later epic songs are good old maiden indeed. so i half like it.
    FearOfTheDuck
    duncang m : Gyoung1991 wrote: "Hats off, once again, to Mr. Adrian Smith for his contributions to proceedings not to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers, but the man cant half solo!" Overall well written review, but ^ is poorly worded. I would assume you mean Janick can't solo which is an understandable opinion (he is prone to noise), but if you are saying Murray can't solo this review automatically loses all credibility. "NOT to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers" POSTED: 08/16/2010 - 09:46 am / quote | maximumrocker : Got the album, but havnt listen to it hopefully i enjoy it!!! =) POSTED: 08/16/2010 - 100 am / quote | IRONMAIDENTLICA : DAMN IT WHY IS THE USA SO LAME WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD MUSIC, THIS ALBUM ISNT OUT TIL TOMORROW IN THE USA! POSTED: 08/16/2010 - 10:26 am / quote | wrote: Gyoung1991 wrote: "Hats off, once again, to Mr. Adrian Smith for his contributions to proceedings not to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers, but the man cant half solo!" Overall well written review, but ^ is poorly worded. I would assume you mean Janick can't solo which is an understandable opinion (he is prone to noise), but if you are saying Murray can't solo this review automatically loses all credibility. "NOT to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers"
    "But the MAN can't can't half solo". Janick is more of a performer than a technician.
    GerrothRock
    Where the wild wind blows:O:O:O Already my fave song on the album, its immense, its almost on par with Blood Brothers in my opinion. Coming Home is epic and I loved the Talisman, still digesting the rest properly but the album ROCKS!
    Deathro
    who knows when this CD comes out? Please message me cuz it will be hard to find it here after an hour LOL.
    MaidenandEddy
    For me personally, at 1 hour 15 minutes long it's a lot to take in on first go, and you need two or even three listened to fully appreciate everything. But once that's achieved, I can safely say that I believe Maiden, with The Final Frontier, have released their best album of the 'new' era. If this doesn't make the Top 5 in next week's albums charts it will be an absolute disgrace.
    duncang
    Reviewer Pete wrote: Well written review. Album? Not so much.
    I can tell August TMIM is gonna be just as fun as July's for me.
    Reviewer Pete
    duncang wrote: Reviewer Pete wrote: Well written review. Album? Not so much. I can tell August TMIM is gonna be just as fun as July's for me.
    It won't be THAT bad. Promise.
    TheEducatedFool
    Fantastic album, solid review. I really love how Adrian has become a more prominent member of the band over the last few albums, much like on SIT and SSOASS. He always brings the goods, but Dave's song on this album was just about as good as Isle of Avalon in my opinion.
    crazysam23_Atax
    Reviewer Pete wrote: Well written review. Album? Not so much.
    What? So, just like we hate AX7, we hate Maiden now? Dude...why do you even review if you can't keep an unbiased opinion?...
    ..NEM..
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Reviewer Pete wrote: Well written review. Album? Not so much. What? So, just like we hate AX7, we hate Maiden now? Dude...why do you even review if you can't keep an unbiased opinion?...
    But his comment wasn't a review. :facepalm:
    IRONMAIDENTLICA
    DAMN IT WHY IS THE USA SO LAME WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD MUSIC, THIS ALBUM ISNT OUT TIL TOMORROW IN THE USA!
    duncang
    Gyoung1991 wrote: "Hats off, once again, to Mr. Adrian Smith for his contributions to proceedings not to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers, but the man cant half solo!" Overall well written review, but ^ is poorly worded. I would assume you mean Janick can't solo which is an understandable opinion (he is prone to noise), but if you are saying Murray can't solo this review automatically loses all credibility.
    "NOT to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers"
    Randomrings
    i can't get a hold of this album because the stores around here are all "uhhh we don't get new releases til tomorrow". tell that to my copy of "Nightmare" by A7X that i got from Wal-mart the DAY it came out
    macca4508
    @ Kingaustink Steve Harris has already said this isn't the last album and that they will make another when they "feel like it" Fear not! Anyways I agree with most on here that Where the Wild Wind Blows is the best song on the album, I disagree with 1 review, however which says that The Alchemist is the worst song on the album I think it is in one of the best for me, whilst I still very much like the song, I think El Dorado is the worst song on the album. I think this maybe my favourite Maiden album, not the best (that award goes to Piece of Mind) but my personal favourite.
    Jon777
    Haters gonna hate; I love this album. It's very reminiscent of Brave New World.
    derpdragon
    Honestly I can normally point out several flaws to any album and I will do so even more when I love a band as much as Maiden, but theres like virtually no real flaws. The only flaw I could pick out was that I just wasn't to into El Dorado. I don't think it's possible for Steve Harris to write bad music, I mean even X Factor was still rather good.
    Gyoung1991
    duncang wrote: Gyoung1991 wrote: "Hats off, once again, to Mr. Adrian Smith for his contributions to proceedings not to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers, but the man cant half solo!" Overall well written review, but ^ is poorly worded. I would assume you mean Janick can't solo which is an understandable opinion (he is prone to noise), but if you are saying Murray can't solo this review automatically loses all credibility. "NOT to take away from Dave Murray or Janick Gers"
    My point was that the structure of the sentence makes it look like you are talking about Dave/Janick, but the grammar makes it look like you are referring to Adrian. Not to mention the ambiguity of half soloing being below them or if the guitarist in question can't even play half a solo XD
    Regression
    In fact, all the songs are equally great and epic. The worst song of this album, according to me, would be The Alchemist.
    travislausch
    This is a great album. I can see how it would alienate some fans, though. But I'm open-minded enough to give it a chance, and I can't help but finding myself loving every song on it. Definitely a top 10 of 2010 album for me.
    Fausch
    Love this stuff. I'm kinda sad that kids are wearing the shirts all over just because it's a pop culture thing.
    maskemannen
    This album is awesome! I just love it, its the best they have done since Seventh Son. Its sad to think that Maiden might come to an end soon, i hope their last album will blow the minds of everyone, both the fans and the doubters.
    krvolok
    I love FF to death!!!!!great album,good review. If there is another album somewhere in the future,great but if this is the last then what a way to go!