The Number of the Beast review by Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast

This is the quintessential Iron Maiden Album. It is the first CD with Bruce Dickenson as the second vocalist. As most of the other cds, it has it's own unique sound. The CD includes Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast, The Prisoner, and Hallowed By the Name. It is Clive Burs last CD drumming for Maiden and he plays his best showing in Gangland. It is also the first album to not to include an instrumental. The first track, Invaders, starts out hard and keeps it up. They keep the intensity through Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, and Gangland. They slow down the pace with the last two tracks: Hallowed by the Name and Total Eclipse.

Number of the Beast is a little darker than the surrounding cds. Invaders deals with preparing for a Saxon and Viking battle. The Prisoner is a man who was formerly a slave and escapes and is living on the run and vows to take revenge. Number of the Beast is a story of a man who stumbles upon a Satanic ritual in the woods. His first reaction is to tell the law, but then he is pulled in and decides to become one of them. But better. Run to the Hills is a two sided song. The intro deals with white settlers coming in and destroying the Native Americans society and cultural. The verses deals with the white settlers story about mistreating the Indians and murdering them. Hallowed by the Name is a man reflecting on his life before he is hung in the Gallows tomorrow. Gang land a terrible city filled with gangs where no one is safe. The over all lyrics seem to have the common theme of life altering situations. Possibly taking place in the past.

It is the Album that skyrocketed Iron Maiden into the spot light. Most of it was not good though. Bruce Dickenson strongly makes a statement exclaiming he is new singer and makes sure everyone knows it. Almost every song has an amazing guitar solo, sometime including the famous Maiden harmonies that they're known for. It is more intense than Iron Maiden and Killers. If you enjoy Maiden, this album is a must.

Dr-Funkenstein
    pootoob wrote: ironmaidenrulez wrote: Sceptile_Master : Yeah got the album today. It kicks ass. One thing though. Drums on the album weren't by nicko and adrian and dave both share lead and rhythm duties I think. Yanick isn't on the album. So only 2 guitarists. yes of course. yanick come in maiden when the fear of the dark album was realased. and also the drums where by clive burr who left after this album because of MS (multiple slurosis) which is infection of the nevus system so he alwys is twiching and can't control his muscles proplerly. shame but he still plays but no with maiden. he didn't have multiple sclerosis at the time. That kicked in later. It's not an infection, it's a genetic disorder where the immune system attacks the nervous system. and it doesn't make him twitch.
    He's right y'know. I met Clive in July and he's not twitchy at all. Maybe its a periodic thing? He is wheelchair bound though. He's a cracking guy. He had no problems posing for photos with anyone (and this was in the Ruskin arms the night before the Twickenham gig, there was like 3-400 of us) and was happy to chat with people. I always thought he left because he couldnt control his drinking. Apparently he spent the majority of one show being sick into a bucket as a result...never heard anything about thinking beyond music or the like. He joined the Gogamagog project with Paul Dianno not long after leaving Maiden, didnt he?
    astrotrain77
    This album is overated. It has some good cuts, but nothing like the albums Powerslave or even Somewhere in Time. My fav is probaly Killers
    dark_falco3000
    Quinj wrote: Is there a true metalhead that doesnt own this album? lol. Oh, and Master Of Puppets ****ing fails in comparision to any of the Madien albums, not just this. Well, acctaully, Master Of Puppets sucked in general, best metal album ever my ass!
    Oh god please tell me you didn't jump on the "let's all bash metallica" bandwagon. True, they haven't had a decent album since The Black Album (and that album was exactly that, merely decent, not awesome like all their previous releases), but to say that Master of Puppets, one of the greatest metal albums and, imo, the greatest, or at least the most influential, Thrash Metal album of all time, sucks, well... you've taken the hating Metallica thing too far. If you didn't jump on that particular bandwagon, either you need to have your ears checked, or you're not a true metalhead. And now for something relevant to the rest of the page: This album is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. While there are other albums that I prefer, and actually think are all around better (such as Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory), this album is a classic, and it's inspired so many people to get into music. Metal wouldn't be the same without it.
    dasburzum
    i love evry song on dis fukin album specialy hallowed be thy name an number of the beast ( the last was 1 of the 1st i learnt on da bass an i still play it pretty much all da time. p.s I think the prisoner is a really underated song, the chorus is ****in catchy. they didnt play it at twickenham so i was a little annoyed (tho da sho was the best ive evr seen!)
    The JesterHead
    a6l6e6x1 wrote: love this album first songs not very good but every other is GOLD
    Oh, c'mon man! You gotta love Invaders! It's a catchy one ^_^
    Rock'n'Roller
    This album was always quite strange for me it just seemed to change quite a bit as the songs went along it wasn't really an album it was a collection of songs sounds like a band trying to find their sound
    a6l6e6x1
    love this album first songs not very good but every other is GOLD not quite as good as powerslave but close!
    Cannibalhell666
    This is when music was good lol not this new bubble gum shit this is a ture album go to any metalhead and they will have this album hell I do lol.
    tallicafan91
    dude WTF! master of puppets sucked in general????? stop being stupid and start learning a thing or two about music! MoP and NOTB are the best metal albums ever made (well, there are so many other good albums but none so known by everybody like those two)... I'm not a metalhead, but neither are you man, so stop thinking you are
    Cyanide86
    Iron Maiden are one of my favorite bands so I can only say that this is great album with one of the best song ever ''Hallowed Be Thy Name''
    The JesterHead
    Claiming to be a true metalhead and dissing MoP... Whatta move. Iron Maiden definetly beats Metallica, but saying something like this really, really stupid. MoP is a classic, period. Not THE best, but among the greatest metal achievements of all time. And as for The Number of the Beast? Hallowed Be Thy Name might be the greatest song of all time, at least to me. I don't have a fave by Maiden, every album is unique and brilliant in its own way... Up the Irons!
    mtllica
    toolfan_121 wrote: This is the album that got me into Maiden. I recommend this album to anyone looking to get into Iron Maiden.
    same here lol
    Baa I'm a Sheep
    Got to admit I do prefer Maidens newer material to their older stuff,still,no denying this album is something of a metal masterpiece.