Virtual XI review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Mar 24, 1998
Iron Maiden: Virtual XI

First of all I don't know why people complain about this album; Blaze actually does an excellent job filling in for an amazing singer like Bruce Dickinson; and the band really do pull through. The band's sound isn't as individual or unique as their signature music. Although there is no Adrian Smith, there is still awesome guitar sounds, Dave has amazing solos again and he is better than Adrian so we don't miss out on the best. Murray and Janick still have some quality riffs. Steve's bass-lines are great as always, as is McBrain's drumming jobs. I would have to say I still prefer the music with Adrian Smith involved, but this is good enough. Seeing as the band were going through a bit of a crisis without Adrian and Bruce, I think the sound deserves 10.

The lyrics are mostly of the same style becuase its the same guys writing them, but they are somewhat different. The singing isn't as good as Bruce's but that can't be matched, Dickinson has such a unique voice and although he can't compare, Blaze Bayley does a stunning fill-in job. He's voice isn't as powerful but he sings well enough. I am listening to 'Lightening Strikes Twice' so I'll mention the harmony in the chorus between vocals and guitar. Again, the band was in a crisis and they pulled though so this deserves 10.

This album is a great album, it cannot compare to other albums by Maiden, but if the band was under a different name and you didn't know the line-up, you would think this is f--ing amazing. Enough said, the band did a great job at coping without Adrian and Bruce, but their return was more than welcome. I would buy this album if it went missing or got lost. Buy this album and see what you think.