Virtual XI review by Iron Maiden

• Released: Mar 24, 1998
Iron Maiden: Virtual XI

First of all I'd like to say no matter what people say Blaze Bayley is a good singer. After a their latest releases with Bruce they were going downhill and the Blaze albums are an intresting change. After the X Factor which was good but dragged on too much they released their 11th album and it is in their top 5 in my opinion. The guitarwork between Dave and Janick is almost as good as the guitar work with Dave and Adrian. The bass lines and drumming are great and overall the sound is great.

The lyrics are pretty differnt to their older stuff but are just as good. The lyrics to Futureal are quite poor but are sung well by Blaze. They fit well with the albums sound and Blaze gives his best performance on this album. He is very different to Bruce and Bruce is better singer but he's still a veyr good singer.

Overall this is an amazing album which is better than their other '90s releases. But it doesnt compare to their first 5 albums which are their best. This is by know means the end of Iron Maiden and the song writing style continues in Brave New World. My favourites on here are Futureal, the angel and the gambler and lightning strikes. I love the song strucure but Blaze's voice can get annoying. This is a great album to come to if your tired of all the hits. If it were lost and stolen I'd buy it again as it's a good album and I don't want a gap in my Maiden collection.

Downfault
    How is it that not one of these two reviews mention how awful "The Angel and the Gambler" is. That is definately one of Maiden's worst tracks. The album isn't bad though. I liked it much more than the X Factor.
    Silas S Thompso
    Blayze isn't that bad a singer, but his voice can sound like he's singing from his throat, which I think only really sounds good with Lemmy's voice. Blayze is also too plain a singer. Unlike Bruce or Paul his voice never really changes to far in pitch. The one song I really love that he sings in is the clansman. That was the first maiden song I learned.
    bear_bassist
    I don't think this album deserved a 10, songs like "the angel and the gambler" and "don't look to the eyes of a stranger" are very repetitive and long. All in all Bruce is a very good singer, but the music wasn't of the same caliber as some of their previous works.